Audi A3 8v 2013 steering wheel upgrade

Omar97

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just bought an Audi A3 8v 2013 (facelift) previous owner had this new steering wheel (2017 wheel smaller airbag one) fitted but the buttons don’t work? The horn, paddle-shifts & even the lights on the buttons work. Any ideas?

is it like this? This is the TT 8S wheel i fitted to my PFL A3 recently. The airbag i got came with 3 plug, the yellow main plug, a 4 pin and a 6 pin plug. the 4 pin from airbag fitted into the steering wheel but those are the wrong wires for my wheel. I had to swap the wires in the 6 and 4 pin plugs. My menu button button doesnt work yet as ive not ordered the module yet.

20200425 123634

Reactions: Audi-Sport-Driver, tquattro and SPIKE_
Your options:

Do you have view botton? If yes. Sell this one. and buy prefacelift. Skip all text down...
Check pinout
Upgrade gateway with AM gateway(last 2 letters) Most will work but this one was recommended to me.

Lightng works, I think its pinned correctly.
But remove airbag to make sure.
If its pinned correct, you dont have view botton, you need to upgrade the gateway. (you need dealer for this, or exces to odis online.) AM gateway you can buy at aliexpress.

I had simular issue. upgrading steerring wheel for VC. Wiring was ok. But no control.

Last edited:
is it like this? This is the TT 8S wheel i fitted to my PFL A3 recently. The airbag i got came with 3 plug, the yellow main plug, a 4 pin and a 6 pin plug. the 4 pin from airbag fitted into the steering wheel but those are the wrong wires for my wheel. I had to swap the wires in the 6 and 4 pin plugs. My menu button button doesnt work yet as ive not ordered the module yet.

View attachment 202084
The TT wheel is lovely, and nicer than the S-line A3 wheel. The leather airbag is a nice touch.

Reactions: Khufu
yes, if upgrading you need the leather airbag version option :thumbs up:
Why doesn’t your menu button work? Is it due to your car being a PFL A3, or simply that your using a TT wheel?

my menu button doesnt work as my new wheel is off the TT which has the Virtual Cockpit which i dont. The buttons send signals via LIN system as opposed to an off on switch. The module you can buy must convert the signal to operate the MENU fuction as opposed to VIEW.

Your options:

Do you have view botton? If yes. Sell this one. and buy prefacelift. Skip all text down...
Check pinout
Upgrade gateway with AM gateway(last 2 letters) Most will work but this one was recommended to me.

Lightng works, I think its pinned correctly.
But remove airbag to make sure.
If its pinned correct, you dont have view botton, you need to upgrade the gateway. (you need dealer for this, or exces to odis online.) AM gateway you can buy at aliexpress.

I had simular issue. upgrading steerring wheel for VC. Wiring was ok. But no control.
Please see the image of me wheel, I’ve no idea what any of this gateway stuff means helpp

Attachments

• E3778BD6-4418-4CA1-AC72-1B55A76C6C4E.jpeg
    E3778BD6-4418-4CA1-AC72-1B55A76C6C4E.jpeg
    996.6 KB · Views: 1,487
the wheel should work with the basic functions bar the menu button. i think you will need something like this for menu button to work but you need some rewiring too as the illumination and rest of buttons arent working.

#Aliexpress £113.10 | Multifunction Steering Wheel Button Control Simulator Adapter For Audi A3 A4 A5 B8 A6 C7 A7 Q3 Q5 install TT TTRS Steering Wheel
https://a.aliexpress.com/_B1I3BS

it converts the lin signal.

my wheel was the same at 1st as i had to swap wires across.

20200425 115522

i had to swap the purple/red/brown wires into the smaller connector for my wheel to work. not sure if yours is the same.

the wheel should work with the basic functions bar the menu button. i think you will need something like this for menu button to work but you need some rewiring too as the illumination and rest of buttons arent working.

#Aliexpress £113.10 | Multifunction Steering Wheel Button Control Simulator Adapter For Audi A3 A4 A5 B8 A6 C7 A7 Q3 Q5 install TT TTRS Steering Wheel
https://a.aliexpress.com/_B1I3BS

it converts the lin signal.

my wheel was the same at 1st as i had to swap wires across.

View attachment 202325

i had to swap the purple/red/brown wires into the smaller connector for my wheel to work. not sure if yours is the same.
Is yours a pre facelift like mine? (2014)

My facelift steering wheel did not work(view button). Checked steering wheel in facelift car. No issues.
I believe the issue could be the gateway. I upgraded mine to facelft gateway and wheel worked. Never tested facelift wheel with menu button.

The old pfl steering wheel menu button did nothing on VC, so it might be the View button does nothing on regular cockpit.
If this is the case, find a way to make the view button work as menu button, or find different setup for steeringwheel buttons.

So my 2 cents:
Sell this one. Buy pre facelift, or:
if you dont instal vc find facelift steering wheel with menu button. Sometimes the buttons are 4 sale seperatly.
And/or change gateway.

buttons (please check if they fit.)
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Also you might need to upgrade gw as stated above.

Last edited:
My facelift steering wheel did not work(view button). Checked steering wheel in facelift car. No issues.
I believe the issue could be the gateway. I upgraded mine to facelft gateway and wheel worked. Never tested facelift wheel with menu button.

The old pfl steering wheel menu button did nothing on VC, so it might be the View button does nothing on regular cockpit.
If this is the case, find a way to make the view button work as menu button, or find different setup for steeringwheel buttons.

So my 2 cents:
Sell this one. Buy pre facelift, or:
if you dont instal vc find facelift steering wheel with menu button. Sometimes the buttons are 4 sale seperatly.
And/or change gateway.

buttons (please check if they fit.)
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Also you might need to upgrade gw as stated above.
I have the exact same problem. i've bought an facelift steering wheel for my pfl RS3 but i'm struggling to find a way of getting everything to work.

I have the exact same problem. i've bought an facelift steering wheel for my pfl RS3 but i'm struggling to find a way of getting everything to work.

I’m having the same issue too Installed the facelift steering wheel into my 2015/2016 RS3 need help sorting it out, no horn or any buttons working

Check wireing. Horn should work..

Left to right(bottem bank):
Brown
Horn= blue
Multifunktion= Purple
White= paddle shift
Not used
Not used

Again: no vc and wheel with view button. Change buttons first..

Last edited:

Brown
Horn= blue
Multifunktion= Purple
White= paddle shift
Not used
Not used

have you tried to remove the buttons from the steering wheel? Do they unclip or do you have to strip wheel?

Yesterday i tried to remove the buttons, it's tight.
In the round middle lift the fishtail clips and gently push the bezel off. On the sides and bottem it's only clamped in. You think it's going to brake...when bezel is of the buttons are locked in on the inside. Just pull.

Brown
Horn= blue
Multifunktion= Purple
White= paddle shift
Not used
Not used

I am going to do the VC conversion so need to keep the buttons

Then keep origional wheel on as you have no control.

If you have or can find facelift gateway you can testfit the gw to see if this enables (partial ) the steerring wheel. (remove after as these have cp)

Yesterday i tried to remove the buttons, it's tight.
In the round middle lift the fishtail clips and gently push the bezel off. On the sides and bottem it's only clamped in. You think it's going to brake...when bezel is of the buttons are locked in on the inside. Just pull.

i found a pdf that basically says that. Thanks. Toying with idea of changing LEDs to white if possible.

Are yours red?? I thought all facelift were white

Got a tt wheel here too.. never came to my mind it could be red. Never installed it. (to do list)

View attachment 202084

I would of kept your original considering the previous owner of the TT wheel was a Werewolf .

Could get it retrimmed , was a very positive result here somewhere .

Hi guys, I was considering upgrading my PFL steering wheel and swapping it for an FL wheel. Now I know that I need to get one that doesn’t have a “View” button but I am curious about one thing.

Don’t the buttons on the FL steering wheel light up in white?

Seeing as the PFL interior uses red lighting I’m worried about the mismatch of colours and if they will be mismatched, is there a way to solve it?

About the gateway upgrade, its no longer needed. You can just upgrade your gateway software to am.

For facelift non vc i recommend using the menu button. Lights will be white. (Some paint could be possible)

Tt 8s has red lighting, but a view button. I heard there were possibilities to make it work... make sure you get the single stage airbag.

Hi guys, I was considering upgrading my PFL steering wheel and swapping it for an FL wheel. Now I know that I need to get one that doesn’t have a “View” button but I am curious about one thing.

Don’t the buttons on the FL steering wheel light up in white?

Seeing as the PFL interior uses red lighting I’m worried about the mismatch of colours and if they will be mismatched, is there a way to solve it?

i bought each facelift unit and sold the prefl one’s. Took a while to gather everything but just used eBay. Cost me very little once the old units had sold.

About the gateway upgrade, its no longer needed. You can just upgrade your gateway software to am.

For facelift non vc i recommend using the menu button. Lights will be white. (Some paint could be possible)

Tt 8s has red lighting, but a view button. I heard there were possibilities to make it work... make sure you get the single stage airbag.

My gateway is 5q0907530m. How can i update it to AM? odis?

Up
How do we soft update the GW to AM Version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then keep origional wheel on as you have no control.
hi there. sorry i wasnt familiar with all this. i bought a TT 8s steering wheel and had installer install on A3 8v 2014. all mtmfs buttons doesnt work. what the problem here? do i need to re-wiring or to update gateway? or both?