Audi A3 8v 1.4TFSI 150 odd engine sound

spikemcl

Reaction score
Apologies if this exists elsewhere but i have looked around and cant seem to find anything...
I recently just bought a 2016 Audi a3 post facelift 1.4 tsfi 150 with 30k miles.
Loving the car so far however the engine seems to make an odd noise when cursing at 30-40mph at roughly 1500 to 1800 revs. Only way to describe it would be some sort of splutter..
can't hear it in the cabin unless you have the windows open.
Is this something i should be concerned about or just a regular noise to come from these engines?
Any advice would be really appreciated!!
Cheers

Apologies if this exists elsewhere but i have looked around and cant seem to find anything...
I recently just bought a 2016 Audi a3 post facelift 1.4 tsfi 150 with 30k miles.
Loving the car so far however the engine seems to make an odd noise when cursing at 30-40mph at roughly 1500 to 1800 revs. Only way to describe it would be some sort of splutter..
can't hear it in the cabin unless you have the windows open.
Is this something i should be concerned about or just a regular noise to come from these engines?
Any advice would be really appreciated!!
Cheers

If it is on gentle throttle and lasts about 1/4 of a second then it’s probably 2-cylinder mode engaging/disengaging. It’s not loud and you won’t notice that at higher rpm.

If longer then it’s something else.

It’s the Turbo Actuator Linkage rattling caused by the cylinder deactivation.

It’s a horrid sound especially when cruising on back roads with cars parked either side, the sound bouncing back and forth - it’s embarrassing as people always notice it and turn around.

I’ve had my car a few months and notice it more now I’ve had a new exhaust system fitted, I haven’t got around to getting it looked yet or possibly disabling the 2-cylinder mode all together through getting my remap altered - anyone know if this is possible?

My sister picked up a Q2 last week with the exact same 1.4 CoD engine and she’s noticed the sound too, she wants to return the car!

Attachments

• 14BACC0E-B574-44AD-88FA-99F206DF176E.jpeg
    14BACC0E-B574-44AD-88FA-99F206DF176E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
Thanks for both getting back to me! Was driving around last night and can confirm its definitely due to 2 cylinder mode... Looked around online and seems pretty common on this specific engine affecting alot of seats & VW's that share this engine, Have to admit its pretty irritating but i can only currently really hear it whilst purposefully looking out for it.

Reactions: GGP
@GGP im beginning to feel your pain, its only irritating me more as i drive, How long does it last for you? mine seems to be continuous whilst in 2 cylinder mode and being gentle on the throttle

Reactions: GGP
If it is on gentle throttle and lasts about 1/4 of a second then it’s probably 2-cylinder mode engaging/disengaging. It’s not loud and you won’t notice that at higher rpm.

If longer then it’s something else.
Thanks John, Lasts as long as i am gentle on the throttle and in 2 cylinder mode..
from doing some research it seems like its probably the Wastegate actuator rattling as the noise sounds exactly the same as in video
Being the 150ps variant and FL i believe it should've been engineered out however at least on mine its still definitely present...
Do you know if the clips eg part no 06j145220a would fit on the fl 1.4 150ps?

Cheers

@GGP im beginning to feel your pain, its only irritating me more as i drive, How long does it last for you? mine seems to be continuous whilst in 2 cylinder mode and being gentle on the throttle
It does my head in!

For me, it activates 2-cylinder mode when I press the throttle very gently whist maintaining a speed of 20-30ish mph... the sound will remain unless I press the throttle down further or take my foot completely off, then the sound will instantly stop and the '2-cylinder' message on the dash goes.

Not completely convinced that this rattle is much to do with the COD feature in these engines. Mine (same engine at OP) will happily rattle at 20mph or 30 or 40 or 60 in 2nd or whatever gear for as long as I sit on the accelerator. It will even happily rattle in neutral sitting stationary if I give it a few revs and it's worse in hot weather.

I have the virtual cockpit so there's no notice of if and when the engine is in COD mode.

As for that clip. I was told that's for the previous model (pre facelift)

I am getting my cambelt done tomorrow so he will look into this rod rattle too. Might even be the whole wastegate that's rattling and will need replaced.

Not a lot of people seem to want to agree that it's still an issue. Audi claimed it was engineered out in the facelift version but it's totally not, at all.

Sorry - don’t know if the clip would fit on a 140/150 as is designed for the 1.4 122.

Does it so this at all revs or just low revs? Driving past a fence or row of parked cars seems to get the best sound reflection.

Thanks John, Lasts as long as i am gentle on the throttle and in 2 cylinder mode..
from doing some research it seems like its probably the Wastegate actuator rattling as the noise sounds exactly the same as in video
Being the 150ps variant and FL i believe it should've been engineered out however at least on mine its still definitely present...
Do you know if the clips eg part no 06j145220a would fit on the fl 1.4 150ps?

Cheers
The 1.4 150ps engine never commonly suffered from the wastegate actuator rattle, it did however affect many 122ps versions and a modified linkage was fitted with a clip to prevent this rattle..

Guys, 150 1.4 COD owner here. Yep this is a thing and yes its annoying. I got it fixed by Audi who replaced the whole turbo and that sorted it. but yes it was the linkage.