Audi A3 8P SB - Replacement of Corroded Rear Door Triangles

dp_motley

2019 A3 35TFSI S line
Reaction score
Hey there. The subject of fixing the corroded rear door triangles was discussed on ASN recently. I used advise from another thread and replaced both triangles. I took pictures and decided to write up this short guide. I hope it helps you to save some time and brain power.

You will need:
A trim removal tool
A torx screwdriver and a wrench. Torx T25, T27 and T45
OEM triangles:
Left: 8P4853273CY9B
Right: 8P4853274CY9B
Clips (because you'll break some. I broke half of them): 8P0 868 243A

Remove the door card. Use the torx T25 for the screws. Watch this video if you don't know how to remove the door card:

Undo these four screws. The #4 is just below the edge of the picture but you won't miss it. Use T25.

Door inside

On a side of hinges, pull the rubber sills out and undo screws 5 and 6. Use T45 and, perhaps, a wrench as these big screws sit fast.

Side of hinges

On a side of the lock, pull the rubber sills out and use T45 to undo screws 7 and 8. You may want to remove two plastic trims from inside of the window frame that cover the lower corner. Just use the trim removal tool to pop them out. Than use T27 for the screw #9.

Side of lock

Now, the upper door frame sit loose, though you still cannot pull it up completely because there are still a few screws that hold a window regulator. You don't need to do anything with those screws, same as you don't need to pull the upper frame out. You can just lift the corner in question enough to get more than enough place to reach the last screw, the one that holds the triangle. Lift the corner of the frame and put something under the frame to keep it in this position. I used the trim removal tool as shown on the picture below.

Lift one corner up

On the outside of the door, undo the last screw (#10) and slide the triangle down. Be carefull undoing the screw: keep a finger below it in order it not to fall down inside the door.

Remove the trim

View without the triangle. Remove dirt and residue of corrosion, put a new triangle and slide it up and screw.

Without triangle

Assembly the door. Pay attention to all the rubber sills, ensure they fit properly.

Enjoy the result.

Last edited:
Reactions: UV-RS3, Hp_S3, ch1z64 and 6 others
Hey there. The subject of fixing the corroded rear door triangles was discussed on ASN recently. I used advise from another thread and replaced both triangles. I took pictures and decided to write up this short guide. I hope it helps you to save some time and brain power.

You will need:
A trim removal tool
A torx screwdriver and a wrench. Torx T25, T27 and T45
OEM triangles:
Left: 8P4853273CY9B
Right: 8P4853274CY9B
Clips (because you'll break some. I broke half of them): 8P0 868 243A

Remove the door card. Use the torx T25 for the screws. Watch this video if you don't know how to remove the door card:

Undo these four screws. The #4 is just below the edge of the picture but you won't miss it. Use T25.

View attachment 167696

On a side of hinges, pull the rubber sills out and undo screws 5 and 6. Use T45 and, perhaps, a wrench as these big screws sit fast.

View attachment 167697

On a side of the lock, pull the rubber sills out and use T45 to undo screws 7 and 8. You may want to remove two plastic trims from inside of the window frame that cover the lower corner. Just use the trim removal tool to pop them out. Than use T27 for the screw #9.

View attachment 167698

Now, the upper door frame sit loose, though you still cannot pull it up completely because there are still a few screws that hold a window regulator. You don't need to do anything with those screws, same as you don't need to pull the upper frame out. You can just lift the corner in question enough to get more than enough place to reach the last screw, the one that holds the triangle. Lift the corner of the frame and put something under the frame to keep it in this position. I used the trim removal tool as shown on the picture below.

View attachment 167699

On the outside of the door, undo the last screw (#10) and slide the triangle down. Be carefull undoing the screw: keep a finger below it in order it not to fall down inside the door.

View attachment 167700

View without the triangle. Remove dirt and residue of corrosion, put a new triangle and slide it up and screw.

View attachment 167701

Assembly the door. Pay attention to all the rubber sills, ensure they fit properly.

Enjoy the result.

A credit to the site good to see someone doing a job and taken the time to list parts and how to do plus pics .
:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: dp_motley and samuelh_888
Many thanks for this. It is on my list.

Reactions: dp_motley
Finally had time to do this. Pretty easy fix and bang on accurate instructions

bd8f265572b152c911be73b90a86c255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully help a lot of forum members without them posting loads of threads.
Top guide mate!

Cracking guide. Really need to look to do mine. Looks quite involved though. Knowing my luck of late I won’t get the door back together and it will rain !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic guide! Only things I’d add is don’t forget to open the rear windows before you remove the door cards as this makes manipulating the window frames easier. Also the clips mentioned (8P0 868 243A) are essential. I was very careful and broke all of them! They are available on eBay very cheap so I bought a pack of 10. Also consider if you need to buy new triangles, . I removed mine and rubbed them down with wet & dry paper. Sprayed them with Hammeright smooth gloss black. It is a very good match to the original finish and is very durable. Really easy and only cost about £8. I put a bin bag over each window frame over night while the paint dried. Good luck

Attachments

• 9AAD0BF2-6CE1-40D6-9FC3-35BF7899E20F.jpeg
    9AAD0BF2-6CE1-40D6-9FC3-35BF7899E20F.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 558
  • D21375B5-0374-41BD-9E78-E6139CF098E8.jpeg
    D21375B5-0374-41BD-9E78-E6139CF098E8.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 505
Great guide thank you. I left the window closed. The only struggle I had was getting the door seal to go back on correctly.