AUDI A3 8P 2010 - How to remove headlight glass?

HarveW

Reaction score
Hi,

(AUDI A3 8P 2010)

My xenon headlight has been smashed and I was wondering how can I remove it/ replace the glass. Doing some research I tried to find a replacement glass, but did not come by anything. I was told I would need to buy a complete new headlight... Which is annoying because the headlight works perfectly, and the headlights don't come cheap (around £300+) just for one.

So I thought of an idea...:eyes:

My old halogen headlights are the same shape. Which I still own. Would it be possible to remove the glass off the halogen headlight and put it onto my xenon headlight. I dont see why not, but I thought I would post here and see if someone had tried somthing similar or even knows a place to get a replacment glass. :grin:

BROKEN HEADLIGHT

They're bonded & stapled, heating is the only way tbh, but has to be slowly done or melting will occur.

Reactions: HarveW
They're bonded & stapled, heating is the only way tbh, but has to be slowly done or melting will occur.

Hi thank you for the fast reply. Just wondeirng what would the be the best thing to heat the plastic diffuser up without causuing major damage.

Put them in the oven on a low temp and keep checking as you want to take them out literally as the glue becomes tacky.

Put them in the oven on a low temp and keep checking as you want to take them out literally as the glue becomes tacky.

Did that when 'de-tangoing' a Scooby back in the day. Works well, wife wasn't too chuffed though :)

PS put a bead of silicon round the join after they're back together.

Reactions: HarveW, Dubjam and Retroman
Common job amongst the BMW Z3 fraternity to de-tango the front indicators - from memory a low oven setting around 80C. On the Z3 lights, we don't even need to add silicone - just reheat them after the required work to stick the lens back on. :yum:

Did that when 'de-tangoing' a Scooby back in the day. Works well, wife wasn't too chuffed though :)

PS put a bead of silicon round the join after they're back together.

My Scooby was a JDM STI Bug, so it came De-tangoed from the factory!

I learnt this trick on some Golf Rallye headlamps where I fitted S3 xenon projectors and wanted to paint the then unneeded reflector glass black.

Reactions: HarveW and SteveMcB

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion. I think I am first going to attempt it with a heat gun and if they goes down the drain then I will try the oven method. :D

Hopefully It will all go to plan ( when does it ever :p ) And I should have my new xenons wired and installed this weekend. :) I will keep this thread posted on how it goes for people interested

Just a quick side question does anyone know if they will need coding?

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion. I think I am first going to attempt it with a heat gun and if they goes down the drain then I will try the oven method. :D

Hopefully It will all go to plan ( when does it ever :p ) And I should have my new xenons wired and installed this weekend. :) I will keep this thread posted on how it goes for people interested

Just a quick side question does anyone know if they will need coding?

Lol, so you got told how to do it, and then chose another method that is totally unsuitable?

The problem with a heat gun is that by the time you heat one area of glue, the other area with cool down, its far too inconsistent and will be a massive ballache.

The oven heats it uniformly.

Lol, so you got told how to do it, and then chose another method that is totally unsuitable?

The problem with a heat gun is that by the time you heat one area of glue, the other area with cool down, its far too inconsistent and will be a massive ballache.

The oven heats it uniformly.

I understand that. The reason I was going to try a heat gun first, because I am worried that doing it by oven I cant really see what is heating up. Yes the headlight i know lol. But I thought with the heat gun, I could be more accurate and see what im heating by aiming at it, then Just heating the whole headlight up.

I understand that. The reason I was going to try a heat gun first, because I am worried that doing it by oven I cant really see what is heating up. Yes the headlight i know lol. But I thought with the heat gun, I could be more accurate and see what im heating by aiming at it, then Just heating the whole headlight up.

I think a heat gun is a terrible idea, but we all have to live and learn, so give it a go, and let us know how it went.

Reactions: SteveMcB
If your heat gun's anything like mine you could end up with a soggy light housing or cracked lens. Your shout obviously but I'm with Dubjam on this one, oven is the way to go, start at a low heat and turn it up till you find the sweet spot.

Well..... does anyone know where I can buy a Audi Xenon 8p headlight from? (passenger side)

Well..... does anyone know where I can buy a Audi Xenon 8p headlight from? (passenger side)

lol...Did you crack the glass with the heatgun?

eBay...

lol...Did you crack the glass with the heatgun?

eBay...

The glass was already smashed anyway. I ended up just doing the oven method. Started at 80° and gradually kept increasing every 15 minutes. But before I would increase the temperature i tried to get it off. Didn’t work. I was getting little to no movement. I ended up keep it in for over 2 hours.

What I did up doing is completely butchering the headlight lol. Where I was using a big flat head screwdriver, I was just chipping away at the plastic as it was becoming very soft, but the glue/rubber that was holding the glass was not at all.

After butchering that headlight. Sadly and annoyingly. I thought even if I did get it off, the amount of damage I had done to the plastic I would have to do the on the other headlight without breaking the glass.

Thank you for the suggestion anyway.
eBay it is.

Also do you know if it will need coding?

Bit late to the topic. Not surprised the OP damaged his headlight. People should restrain themselves from giving advice when they haven't actually done it! Yes, upto 2007 headlights have soft glue and can be heated to separate the front cover and heat gun is the best method in my opinion after doing dozens of sets. 2008+ headlights, Audi changed the glue.. Its rubberized and cannot soften with heat. You need to cut it to separate the cover.