Audi A3 3.2 V6 DSG

AdamC95

Reaction score
Hi,

Thinking of buying a 3.2 V6 A3 DSG, anything to look out for or any reason why i shouldnt?

I can start with no reason not to, however (from my very recent experience) timing chains are a big issue on these , if they need replacing (not already done) then figure on around £1500-2000 as its a complete engine out job.
The way to tell is if there is a rattling or marbles in a cup sound from the engine by the gearbox then walk away (unless you can talk a deal), if you can check with something like the Carista or Torque app for code P0030 , that could also indicate that the cam chain has stretched or slipped.
Fuel economy does NOT exist but you're not buying it for that so probably wont matter.
I am sure far more learned folk than I will be along shortly to add their weight :)

Yep, definitely check for timing chain as mentioned above.

Also check any issues with the DSG shifting abruptly and or flashing PRNDS lights. DSG Mechatronic failures can cost a lot to repair.

Check as well for any haldex Issues and that the Haldex filter and Oil has been changed every 40K.

Holes in exhaust flexi is also a costly repair. Going the OEM route to fix cost about £1600 as the whole unit is one piece from the downpipes to cats. If you were to get an exhaust shop to cut the flexis out and replace it would cost less but due to the positioning of them its not an easy job so may not be taken on by the shop.

Run a VAGCOM check on it before purchase after test driving it for error codes.

If you are looking to mod for big power gains look elsewhere, unless you have the £10K for forced induction.

A pre 23/03/2006 reg A3 3.2 will tax less @ £295 vs £500 for cars registered after.

Fuel economy does NOT exist but you're not buying it for that so probably wont matter.

Fuel economy wise, I get about 27MPG on long trips with spirited driving so petrol frugal it isn't. I really only drive it on the weekends so no issue for me.

Last edited:
Does the timing chain need doing at set times, for example if it has not been done should i be worried

Fuel costs are as expected as everyone said

Is there any different "facelift" versions between the plates etc?

I dont have vagcom so wont be able to plug car in, but i will be looking for one with full service history and around the 80k mile mark

Wont be looking to mod to be honest maybe an aftermarket exhaust.

What do you think is a fair price for one at the moment? Would you go for a DSG or Manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So mine has 113k on the clock with full service history and I paid 2800.
The chains are supposed to be good for around 300k miles if oil changes and good quality oil has been used , unfortunately some are made of cheese and stretch , although to be fair its probably the guides falling apart and not tensioning the chain. So no no set interval just down to maintnenance.
Milltek or Cobra are probably the exhaust you want to look at or complete custom
http://millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=3
http://cobrasport.com/index.php/cobra-sport-exhaust/audi/a3/v6-3-2-quattro.html

Reactions: AdamC95
I know its down to personal preference but, milltek or cobra?

Mines for sale mate, you'll struggle to find a better 3.2 :)

Replied to your PM, but yours is out of budget unfortunately

Replied to your PM, but yours is out of budget unfortunately

MOT & Mileage check out okay , not too sure about the gravestones though :)

Something you should probably go and see.

What do you mean about the gravestones?

Background to where the pictures of the car are taken. I dont mean anything serious by it just thought it a bit different.

Ohh ive spoke to the guy who owns it and thats where his business is, he has owned the car for past 8years

After a DSG, and ive spoke to the owner and he will accept £3,500 and it also seems like a nice spec car

Get an 8p2 if you can, even small things like the different steering wheel (both rim thickness and wheel diameter) make a huge difference. I remember writing off my first 8p2 and going back to the 8p1 I still owned...felt like driving a tank ha ha

Though the conclusion I came to when looking at 8p2 3.2's is to buy a mk5 r32 instead. Much tighter dynamics and noise to die for which you just can't replicate with any setup on the A3, sadly.

Yes the 8P2 does look nice but as you say your looking at around £7000 and i would rather have the R32, also you will be looking at a higher tax band too.

Im sure if you put an aftermarket exhaust on the Audi you will be pretty close to an r32 noise?

I think its personal preference , if you like what you see and it all checks out (MOT History, Mileage etc) then go for it. The 3.2 cannot be heavily modified without huge amounts of money but there are some good bolt on mods available that while not releasing huge amounts of BHP will alter the aural experience massively.
Full exhaust including headers approx. 2k
Cone air filter approx. 300
Remap approx. 300

Result .................Well you decide :)

If you're looking at modding your 3.2 when you buy it why not buy one already modded that sounds like an R32?

Mine has a full stainless exhaust and sports cats and a bespoke remap to accommodate the exhaust. 270bhp and more torque :)

You only have to stretch to 6,000 but it's worth paying a bit more for a fine example ;)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702152325114

Ill give you £4,000 haha

Ok I'm feeling generous. I'll take 4,000, just give me another 2,000 when you have it :)

Shared ownership? :)

That all sounds good, apart from the £2,000 when i have it, and shared ownership. ;) Final offer. £4,000 haha ;)

Sorry no can do I'm afraid... unless you have anything to part ex? :)

If i had a higher budget i would be straight there! :( but £4,000 is all ive got.

Reactions: Whodafunk
522c4b462cad31f29c9fe0b88fc984bb.jpg

So picked this up today!

a car seat in front passenger seat right in front of airbag? Kinda bugs me bad but nice whip

Airbag has been turned off