Audi A3 2012 2.0tdi 170 EGR Replacment

SidH

Reaction score
I have a Audi A3 2012 2.0tdi 170, Recently my car started losing power and the COIL light came on when plugged in to a Diagnostics nothing came up this was adhoc and didn't happen all the time.

Yesterday the coil light came on with the engine management light, AA came out and said the codes being logged were for an ERG valve issue...

PO403 EGR (valve/output stage) Error message Static fault

I took it to VAG Teckins in Eccles Manchester and they have said the EGR valve needs replacing and the cost os £600....I thought this was quite expensive.

is this a common issue?
is this the going rate?
are there any alternatives?
can you tell me what my engine code is?

any advice or info is welcome

Thanks

Sid

Hi, It's a common Diesel problem, not sure about 2012 models but I can't imagine why they would be different, do a Google search and you will find what others have done, maybe even You-Tube vidoes of how to fix it. What tends to happen, unless something has actually broken (probably not that likely), is that they gum up with carbon and old oil to a degree where they reduce the flow of gasses and the valve can't operate any more, so sticks open/closed or half and half. They can be cleaned in this case but it's a ****** job and you may find if the EGR's that bad the inlet manifold and pipes will be much the same and so also need cleaned. You also need to watch as cleaning may break something as they can be a bit fragile. The black gunk is something akin to peanut butter (best I can think of), so difficult to get out of tight spaces and extremely messy to do, It doesn't really disolve in anything and heat is a no no as you will probably melt something important. Another thing if you do it yourself is make sure not to drop any chunks of gunk into places they are not meant to g,o as this could cause more damage when the engine is started, think Turbos and engine valves.
I would certainly try cleaning first, it may take a bit of time but if it gets done righ,t it could just transform the car's performance and for virtually no money. On your final questions, I think yes. Probably not that unreasonable, although I would tend to try another way e.g. clean or get it cleaned before throwing it away for a new one. That also answers the next one and finally, you should have a data sticker in your service book or inside the boot, it's white paper with your chassis number and loads of other codes on there, take your mobile phone and take a picture of it and keep it for future reference, that way when anyone asks what your this or that number is, it's all on your phone, like everything else these days :)

So I'm thinking of doing a EGR/DPF deletion and re-map any thoughts I've been quoted around the same price for this. And reading up it will resolve current and future issues?? And thoughts on this is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gazwould
As far as I'm aware, a dpf delete is an MOT failure. Just lose the egr mate.

Dpf at the moment is just a mot visual , cut open , gut and weld up on the unsighted side .

Reactions: RS4B5
An egr valve from tps is around £250 and you should be able to find someone to swap it out for a much smaller sum, had mine done recently and it was about £300 all in incl new gaskets,

An egr valve from tps is around £250 and you should be able to find someone to swap it out for a much smaller sum, had mine done recently and it was about £300 all in incl new gaskets,

Because of my engine type it's a ball ache to get to the EGR is at the back of the engine hence why I've been quoted soo much. The cost of the EGR valve alone i got quoted was 330 that was via tps.

Hence me thinking about this

I must admit, I'd seriously consider the EGR delete, that way it can't go again... my EGR cooler just went, that was a £1500 job, thankfully I've got extended warranty.

The whole EGR system is a buggers muddle.

The problem with DPF, EGR & Turbo in the modern diesel engine, unless driven, hard, fast & decent amount of miles per week, these items just clog with soot and gas. Plus god knows what else. The way the system works, its needs driving!!

My mates CR 170bhp DFP was always in the garage getting a forced re-gen!
His problem, drove 4 miles to work, then 4 miles back, no wonder he has problems, should have considered a petrol car!!

Like me, I drive 43 miles to work and back each day, on the open road in my CR 170bhp A3 2010 plate, just hit 217K, never a problem with any of the above.
Its still on its original clutch.

I have the same fault, recently bought a 2010 A3 2.0tdi 140 and I've had problems with this but not constant. Its parked up in work at the moment waiting for someone to come and do the emissions update. Once that's done I'm having an EGR delete and remap done for around £250-300 all in. Easier and cheaper than getting the EGR sorted as it seems to shows different fault codes each time it happens.

Using one of these engine carbon clean companies could be a good shout. Had mine cleaned and felt a difference immediately, but speaking to the guy he said the it helps clean out the EGR value too. They essentially spray hydrogen into the engine for 30 mins to get rid of the carbon.

How much does that cost?

Using one of these engine carbon clean companies could be a good shout. Had mine cleaned and felt a difference immediately, but speaking to the guy he said the it helps clean out the EGR value too. They essentially spray hydrogen into the engine for 30 mins to get rid of the carbon.

I think mine is beyond cleaning and don't really want to fork out to get it done again hence the just get rid option I'm looking at.

Does deleting the EGR cause a lower engine running temperature, which in turn causes more carbon, which in turn irritates the DPF regens? :shrug:

Deleting egr causes higher combustion temperatures because of more oxygenated combustion .

Its something to consider, when altering an engine to work in a difference way to its design!
Adding or taking away something, is going to change things, may be for better, or may be worst!!

It took me three years to decide if I was going to remap my A3!
Once decided I would, took another year to choose who I would go with after doing research.

In the end, it was REVO, but no other mods done, I'm very happy.

John.

Bought a TDI , remapped after 2 weeks , because you're missing out the longer you don't have it .

Bought a TDI , remapped after 2 weeks , because you're missing out the longer you don't have it .

Did you get the EGR and DPF removed to?