audi a3 2008 facelift se v s line

mrggg

Reaction score
Whats the differences. Im looking at a SE but it looks a bit dull, would putting a spoiler make a good difference?

Get an s line , you won't regret it and it will save you changing the se in to an s line which I see a lot happen and it ends up costing you a lot more .. Suspension( sits lower) , s line kit , alloys, not sure about anything else...ah the interior is a lot nicer too IMO

Last edited:
I would go with the se tbh.
I'm not sure if its the same with a3's but i noticed you get a lot more with my old b7 a4 se..
my mate went all out and got an sline 3k more than mine and he couldn't switch through the computer and didn't have cruise control
........ yes he had his fancy kit, but for a grand i got the sline bumper, door blades, rear bumper bottom part and leathers interior

my opinion i had better end of the stick lol
Plus audi made the spec i made but for a fortune more (a4 sline se)

I'm not sure if its the same with a3's but i noticed you get a lot more with my old b7 a4 se..
my mate went all out and got an sline 3k more than mine and he couldn't switch through the computer and didn't have cruise control
........ yes he had his fancy kit, but for a grand i got the sline bumper, door blades, rear bumper bottom part and leathers interior

By the time you put decent alloys and then will need lowering as it will look like a 4x4 with SE suspension ...your then adding a lot more doe to the above ...

3 grand more for a S line is steep

Bought an SE, didn't have the extra money at the time... converted it now to an S line, paid £300 for front bumper sprayed, £220 for back sprayed, ~£100 for a replica :( spoiler sprayed. Then £540 for replica (new RS6) alloys, and also ended up facelifting the back but I won't include price as that's not really part of an S-line conversion. Definitely needs lowering a little now though. Also got a black surround S-Line grill from a mate cheap (£20).

Now the interior is still standard, and the foglights need wiring, plus a new switch, All the above was fitted by myself and mates too. So you can guage yourself if it's worth it or not?

Last edited:
I went in between and went for a sport model, it quite a good base car to start with, quite a few of the sport models have extras...mine come with half leather/ alacantara , auto lights/wipers, Bose stereo , dimming rear view and auto folding mirrors and I got the car for peanuts..

I already have s line alloys in the garage and that's the only thing I'm changing cosmetically I think..

All this being said you could buy an s line and the modding bug could still grab you to change things...

If your patient and on the ball searching all day everyday for new ads then you will get an s line for not a lot more than a sport or SE

Last edited:
I decided to go for a 2007 s line rather than a facelift 2008 1.6 se. The SE felt a bit cheap inside compared to the s line and your right if you get the SE you'll just be spending more on mods that you'll never get back resale time. Spend a little more and get an s line :)

Bought an SE, didn't have the extra money at the time... converted it now to an S line, paid £300 for front bumper sprayed, £220 for back sprayed, ~£100 for a replica :( spoiler sprayed. Then £540 for replica (new RS6) alloys, and also ended up facelifting the back but I won't include price as that's not really part of an S-line conversion. Definitely needs lowering a little now though. Also got a black surround S-Line grill from a mate cheap (£20).

Now the interior is still standard, and the foglights need wiring, plus a new switch, All the above was fitted by myself and mates too. So you can guage yourself if it's worth it or not?

I've done the same thing loads of times , and every time I get a bit of extra money I would buy something and slowly convert it to the model that I really wanted,..

I would of got an s line but this sport model I got come up dirt cheap on eBay plus wasn't to bothered about the s line kit at the time

If the op has the money to get the s line then that would be best I reckon ..

Reactions: DriverN00B
Agree with the above, now I want a Milltek downpipe and straight pipe to replace backbox and then the interior modding starts. Once you get the bug, wave goodbye to savings..

Whats the differences. Im looking at a SE but it looks a bit dull, would putting a spoiler make a good difference?

If you go to the Audi Website > Used Cars > Approved Used Range > Audi A3 Range > Used Audi A3 Information > Brochures > "Download the A3 & S3 Brochure (June 2008)" you can see for yourself.

Before the facelift the SE and Sport were equivalent but different models, with the facelift it went SE -> Sport -> S-Line.

So the Sport upgrade from SE got you 17in wheels, 15mm lower sport suspension, sport seats and climate control amongst others. £1200 inc VAT.

The S-Line upgrade from Sport got you 18in wheels, a further 10mm lowering of suspension and all the S-line trim bits. £1550 inc VAT

Edit: Cruise control an extra on all facelift models, it used to be standard on the pre facelift SE only.

If you go to the Audi Website > Used Cars > Approved Used Range > Audi A3 Range > Used Audi A3 Information > Brochures > "Download the A3 & S3 Brochure (June 2008)" you can see for yourself.

Before the facelift the SE and Sport were equivalent but different models, with the facelift it went SE -> Sport -> S-Line.

So the Sport upgrade from SE got you 17in wheels, 15mm lower sport suspension, sport seats and climate control amongst others. £1200 inc VAT.

The S-Line upgrade from Sport got you 18in wheels, a further 10mm lowering of suspension and all the S-line trim bits. £1550 inc VAT

Edit: Cruise control an extra on all facelift models, it used to be standard on the pre facelift SE only.

Noooo I thought the s line and sport suspension was the same ha

My car is gonna look like a 4x 4 now when i put the 18 inch a4 s line Ronals on later..

Better get the grinder out...:D

Got to be a mistake there surely about the DIS? I spoke to Audi and they told me ALL s-lines come with the DIS as standard, Sports it is an option, and SE it is standard.

Cruise control is an optional extra on all models.

Noooo I thought the s line and sport suspension was the same ha

My car is gonna look like a 4x 4 now when i put the 18 inch a4 s line Ronals on later..

Better get the grinder out...:D
The pre 2008 facelift brochure doesn't mention any suspension difference between the Sport and S-line, just 18in wheels, trim bits and roof spoiler.

Got to be a mistake there surely about the DIS? I spoke to Audi and they told me ALL s-lines come with the DIS as standard, Sports it is an option, and SE it is standard.

Cruise control is an optional extra on all models.

The 2008 facelift has DIS as standard on SE and above models.

The pre 2008 facelift models have DIS as standard on Sport and S-Line models. Although it may be fitted but not fully enabled if you have a DSG gearbox because it displays the gear you're in. DYOR on that one.

The pre 2008 facelift brochure doesn't mention any suspension difference between the Sport and S-line, just 18in wheels, trim bits and roof spoiler.

Ah cool...i might be ok then, I'm putting them on in a little while so we'll see

By the time you put decent alloys and then will need lowering as it will look like a 4x4 with SE suspension ...your then adding a lot more doe to the above ...

3 grand more for a S line is steep
Like i said I did it with my old a4 b7.
I'm not too sure about the specs of the a3's but it worked out better and cheeper at the time for me (2years back)
I also seen a little profit on resale...keeping in mind i owned the car just over a year.
My car looked identical to the sline Se with the black grill at a fraction of the cost

Also it wasn't on the log book as a Sline but please someone agree with me hear... Dose it really matter with this sort of upgrades? (its not a fake 1.2i super car, its still nice isn't it lol)
Anyone who disagrees either has too much money or knows how to waist it in my op :)