audi a3 2003 8l 1.6L engine

malik

Reaction score
hello guys, I'm new here and I have one question about my Audi a3 8l 2003 1.6L
my question is can I install a turbo for this engine or not?
if yes, can you please tell me which parts I should replace.

I don't need to sell this car's because it means a lot for me, and I need to get more horsepower in this car

Arguably you can turbo anything but tbh the amount of money it would cost to get it workable you would be better off trying to buy a cheap 1.8t (MOT failure or similar) and using that as a donor to put a 1.8t in your car if you are that attached to it

You would almost certainly have to fabricate everything for it and run a standalone ECU to tune it... I also doubt you could run much boost through it as its not an engine designed to be turbo'd

You would also need to look at doing the brakes and suspension which again if you had a donor car you could potentially source items from that...

Normally I would just tell you to buy a 1.8t and be done with it as they have done all the work out the factory but if you are looking to do all the work yourself then I wish you luck...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: MPH
Arguably you can turbo anything but tbh the amount of money it would cost to get it workable you would be better off trying to buy a cheap 1.8t (MOT failure or similar) and using that as a donor to put a 1.8t in your car if you are that attached to it

You would almost certainly have to fabricate everything for it and run a standalone ECU to tune it... I also doubt you could run much boost through it as its not an engine designed to be turbo'd

You would also need to look at doing the brakes and suspension which again if you had a donor car you could potentially source items from that...

Normally I would just tell you to buy a 1.8t and be done with it as they have done all the work out the factory but if you are looking to do all the work yourself then I wish you luck...

<tuffty/>
well thanks for your answer,
so, one more question what if I buy a 1.8T engine for my car instead of buying a donor car, the suspension I will replace it anyway, but my question is can I get the 1.8T in my car directly or the engine bay is too small for the engine cuz if the 1.8T engine fit in my car's bay I will buy that engine + the ECU for that engine.

I'm asking a lot sorry, but I need to build my own car it's too easy to go to the car dealer and buy new car, but I don't want to do it like this I want the hard way to get my car .

All A3/S3 engine bays are the same size.... the 1.8t will fit as VAG designed it that way... you will need more than the engine/ecu hence suggesting a donor car as you will need the wiring looms, dash cluster and possibly the accelerator pedal etc depending if the 1.6 is drive by wire or not...

The more parts you have the "easier" the conversion will be especially if you are new to it all...

However... its not a conversion thats particularly popular so do not be surprised if you ask questions here and get no answers.... more people put 1.8t's into Mk2 Golfs than they do 8L A3's

<tuffty/>

Reactions: MPH
well thanks for your answer,
so, one more question what if I buy a 1.8T engine for my car instead of buying a donor car, the suspension I will replace it anyway, but my question is can I get the 1.8T in my car directly or the engine bay is too small for the engine cuz if the 1.8T engine fit in my car's bay I will buy that engine + the ECU for that engine.

I'm asking a lot sorry, but I need to build my own car it's too easy to go to the car dealer and buy new car, but I don't want to do it like this I want the hard way to get my car .
What a huge amount of pain and suffering... just buy a 1.8t A3 and transfer the bits you like from the 1 6 NA

Maybe once you start driving another car you can just store your 1.6 in a shipping container and sell it for 30k in 20 years.... ;) they must be quite rare.