Audi A3 2.0 TFSI

spaceman86

Reaction score
Looking to get a Audi A3 2.0T. Going on what people have said it sounds like a great car for doing up. Does the car have any major problems I should be looking out for? Considering a 06/07 plate on current budget. Also Quattro vs FWD??????? Steering towards a Quattro :yes:

It is a great car, go for the quattro especially if your planning a few performance mods as the quattro will be a lot better I terms of putting the power down and traction.
As far as major problems go, I doesn't really have major problems, just a few minor things like diverter valve, Pcv valve, and cam follower as long as there all done and the cars got a full service history you should be all good mate.

The Quattro definitely handles and grips better,with less understeer,and in my opinion is well worth the extra.

As below,things to watch for include the PCV breather system(which is poor),coil packs,plugs,and cam follower.

You should look for a full service history,and if you're planning any performance mods,budget on a new clutch at the least.

Dont forget, if it has over £50k miles and u don't know if the previous owner has inspected/replaced the oil pickup pipe in the sump. Do that.

Dont forget, if it has over £50k miles and u don't know if the previous owner has inspected/replaced the oil pickup pipe in the sump. Do that.
Is that in the service schedule? Would it be done with the cambelt, I had that done a few months ago at around 55,000 miles.

To answer the OP, I've had my 56 Sportback for 3 1/2 years from 20,000 to 60,000 miles and only had to replace one wheel bearing apart from the regular servicing/maintenance.

Looking to get a Audi A3 2.0T. Going on what people have said it sounds like a great car for doing up. Does the car have any major problems I should be looking out for? Considering a 06/07 plate on current budget. Also Quattro vs FWD??????? Steering towards a Quattro :yes:

My 57 plate sportback tfsi quattro s line SE is up for sale PM me for detaisls

what is the part number and approx labour time for this?

2.0TFSI = Sex

Proper maintenance you will be fine. Most people have pointed the obvious. Give it a couple thorough test drives! Then another one!

And don't ever buy a remapped car - just means some other idiot has been abusing the engine. Always try to buy from dealer (even ebay traders) so you have legal warranty for Engine, Gearbox, Clutch ;-)

2.0TFSI = Sex

Proper maintenance you will be fine. Most people have pointed the obvious. Give it a couple thorough test drives! Then another one!

And don't ever buy a remapped car - just means some other idiot has been abusing the engine. Always try to buy from dealer (even ebay traders) so you have legal warranty for Engine, Gearbox, Clutch ;-)

Not neccessarily so.....a remapped car IS a viable possibility,but only if you know where the work was done,and have the full parts and service history.

A lot of owners with mapped cars spend a lot of time and money not only modding the engines,but also looking after them,and FWIW,when mine was opened up for the bottom end rebuild,all of the stock parts were within new tolerances at 30 000 miles,most of which was at Stg2+ or above.

But....as I said,you have to know a LOT about what you're buying,or it's easy to end up with trouble.

Personally if a clutch has had to deal with more than o.e. power i walk away. That is personal opinion. We all have our own :) x

Personally if a clutch has had to deal with more than o.e. power i walk away. That is personal opinion. We all have our own :) x

Totally agree...if I was buying a remapped car,i would need to know everything about it.....and I mean everything!

The other point is that anyone who's remapped the car would need to change the clutch....and there should be bills for that.....if not,no deal.
The clutch on mine comfortably exceeds the gearbox ratings for instance.

Totally agree...if I was buying a remapped car,i would need to know everything about it.....and I mean everything!

Yes including software read and 'fine comb' for logic/stupidity!

Standard 'basic' remapping does not need changing clutch x

And don't ever buy a remapped car - just means some other idiot has been abusing the engine.

Unless a seller is advertising a car as remapped (which I've never seen) your average or even experienced buyer will never know if it has been remapped, or still is.
I remapped my old A3, it's up for sale in a dealer at the moment but is back to stock map.
The car hasn't been abused either, which is probably down to me not being an engine abusing idiot. :no:

I don't buy into this "if it's been remapped then it's been ragged" way of thinking.
People buy performance cars to drive them fast sometimes, so remapped or not it's going to have been pushed from time to time. I can honestly say my old car was driven no harder post remap.

However, if I went to view a car and the owner told me it'd been mapped I'd walk away! :laugh:

Yes including software read and 'fine comb' for logic/stupidity!

Standard 'basic' remapping does not need changing clutch x

I agree....you need to be very careful.

Also,re the clutch,it varies a lot,in that some people can get the stock clutch to work with Stg2 torque,and others find the thing packs in at Stg1.

I think the problem is that the thing is marginal at best,and it's down to luck(LOL...or did I mean LUK),if you get one that copes.

However, if I went to view a car and the owner told me it'd been mapped I'd walk away! :laugh:

Yes. Because we never know what previous owner is like! This is because you have a brain ;-)

i must unfollow this post - too many notifications for other posts!! see ya!

Cheers for the replies guys. Going in google searches the engine didn't seem to have any major problems. How reliable are the turbos? I know chap who had a 2.0 TDI and the turbo went and it was very expensive to replace. Staying away from modded versions. Can't be dealing with any major headaches afterwards. Quattro FTW!

Cheers for the replies guys. Going in google searches the engine didn't seem to have any major problems. How reliable are the turbos? I know chap who had a 2.0 TDI and the turbo went and it was very expensive to replace. Staying away from modded versions. Can't be dealing with any major headaches afterwards. Quattro FTW!

Generally pretty reliable,with very few people reporting problems even with Stg2+ mods on the engine.

Like all turbos,they aren't cheap to replace,but if it ever should need one,it's worth buying from somewhere reputable,and not cheap ones from ebay.