AUDI A3 2.0 TDI SPORTBACK 2006 - problems, problems & problems!

Ash_99

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and also new to owning an Audi. I previously owned a Mazda RX7; sadly had to sell it due to a new work location that requires immense travelling & fuel costs!

Right, so I purchased an A3 TDI 2.0 Sportback 55 plate (believe it is a 140 brake) for a decent price given the mileage of 220,000 :O.

The car started acting funny, and but that I mean when I switch the ignition there was no immediate turn and when it did finally work there would be a loud clonk. It happened a few times but i let it slide, however, last week Friday it happened after work and would not turn at all! i had to call the AA and he said it was battery - I dont think it was the battery due to it only happening very rarely. he charged it for about half hour and tried turning the key, there was no turn only very slight and it finally started.

The engine on idle shakes quite a bit, i assumed because of the mileage it would do that, but a friend told me even so this shake sounds like something is definitely wrong. I decided to take it to the garage, and had already made my mind thinking it would be the flywheel, given this opportunity i also changed:

- Flywheel
- Clutch
- Slip Cylinder (the clutch used to stick on the floor)
- Timing Belt + Waterpump

Today I have had the car back and the car still shakes!!! i went to fill up fuel, come to the car and it started funny with that clonking noise again!!!

Now, all the work has been done as i have a receipt and one year guarantee, but before i go back to him i want to know whether anyone has had these issues before??

Issues I currently have:
- Starting problem, no turn sometimes, when it does there's a clonk/rattle
- Temperature gauge does not work at all?
- Odd times the coolant level goes low, but cannot find a leak
- Black/thick smoke comes out of the exhaust when i floor it
- Engine shake at idle

Sorry about the essay!! all your help and experience will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ash

The clonk, sounds like a knackered starter motor. The rough running is probably the cam/injection timing needing adjustment - Do a search on here for 'Torsion Value'.

Reactions: Ash_99
thanks, ive had someone tell me this may as well be the starter motor pulley, the clonk seems to come from that area.. i dont want to waste any more money, so i want to be sure what it is. The shake is usually after the car is warm :/

I had this problem on my 2003 A3 2.0 TDI (140) if the engine goes to turn over but just clonks, it can be a small crack in the cylinder head leaking fluid into the cylinder and due to water being virtually incompressible it locks the engine, it only needs to be a tiny crack, mine was only found due to penetrant dye in the water and a camera down the glow plug hole, it would do it after being left to cool overnight and if left for longer I would have to remove the glow plug to get the water out before starting. Have a look at the part number on your head, if it has a suffix B then it could be this, A then it probably is and C is extremely rare.

Judging by your list I would say this is the problem :frown new: due to the failed starts and the loosing of coolant, and the black smoke.....

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially very bad news :frown new:

I managed to get a few more miles out of mine by putting k-seal in the water but this is by no means a permanent fix, I scrapped the car about 6 months later with 190k on the clock

Last edited:
Reactions: Ash_99
TBF to the chap who changed the Flywheel, Knowing what there like it was probably knackered and needing changing just unfortunately on this occasion it didnt fix what you wanted it to fix. Least now you have changed alot of item's which at your mileage will be getting tired anyhow!!

**UPDATE** It was in fact a bad starter motor, he changed it today and it starts fine, but I'll see in the morning. With regards to the shaking one of the injectors is misfiring and 3 glow plugs are bad. I will get them changed at the end of the month and let you all know whether it has solved it...thanks for the help!