audi a3 2.0 tdi bkd coolant leak

a3james

Reaction score
hi all
ive recently posted a topic regarding the excessive amount of coolant ive been loosing
ive had the head tested which came back to apprently be ok and had all the head gasket replaced while it was apart the mechanic mentioned there was water in two of the cylinders. i think this will explain it not wanting to turn over the morning after using it.
after all this the problem is still there its still doing the exact same thing.

whats the chances of the block being damaged ?
i think the company that have meant to have checked the head havent checked it properly or not atall.

i will explain what it does you can leave it running the ages and the coolant level will not drop it only seems to drop when you drive it there is loads of white smoke coming out the exhaust which is a sign.
the cooling system is not being pressurised its flowing as it should do normally.

if anyones has any suggestiong that would be great

Thanks

Classic case of a porous cylinder block/head.
When the car is left unused, the pressurised coolant makes its way in to the cylinders, thus the smoke, poor starting and no obvious signs of a leak.

Classic case of a porous cylinder block/head.
When the car is left unused, the pressurised coolant makes its way in to the cylinders, thus the smoke, poor starting and no obvious signs of a leak.

Correct ! The only reliable cure is to replace the cylinder head. The problem was a manufacturing fault on the early heads (2003/4) which caused the head to be porous and allow coolant into the cylinders. Audi never accepted this as a fault but changed the head manufacture in later models.

You could try pouring a bottle of K-seal ( about £7 ) into the coolant top-up bottle to see if that helps.

Had a mate with same problem he ended up changing the whole engine because long term damage was caused he got a doner 2006 tdi bkd. I think the only difference was the sump had to be put on to the newer engine from the old.

Correct ! The only reliable cure is to replace the cylinder head. The problem was a manufacturing fault on the early heads (2003/4) which caused the head to be porous and allow coolant into the cylinders. Audi never accepted this as a fault but changed the head manufacture in later models.

You could try pouring a bottle of K-seal ( about £7 ) into the coolant top-up bottle to see if that helps.

Hi mate I don't really want to put k seal in there as its already had it. I've noticed the water has not been getting into the cylinders since the head gaskets been changed as it starts up straight away in the morning now. It won't leak if u leave it running it will only leak if you drive it tho. Any suggestions ? Block ? Egr valve I'm not to sure myself as I'm not that familiar with these engines. Itsleaking internal aswell as there no signs of a leak .

Only cure is a new (reconditioned) cylinder head but make sure it has suffix 'B' after the number. Yours is almost certainly 'A'.

Nothing to do with EGR valve

Hope you get it sorted.

Only cure is a new (reconditioned) cylinder head but make sure it has suffix 'B' after the number. Yours is almost certainly 'A'.

Nothing to do with EGR valve

Hope you get it sorted.

Hi mate ,
My head is the B type. cant it be anything else other then the head then as its not hard to start at all now and theres no more signs of any white smoke since the head gaskets been changed ?

im just trying to eliminate the easier things before its going to have to get stripped again if there is anything.

Much appreciated
Thanks

Don't buy new, look for reconditioned from reputable place with warranty.

New from Audi will be thick end of two grand !!!!

Check forum member 'devonmikeyboy' to see if he can help

If your only loosing water when driving and there is no white smoke loosen the water reservoir cap so there is no pressure build up in the system. If the car stops loosing water it`s because there is a pressure build up in the system forcing the water out of the expansion over flow pipe. If the head has already had K Seal in it then that might have stopped the leak but blocked one or several engine coolant channels ( engine would probably run hot if used for a long journey or driven hard ) or the hole is small enough not to let enough water through when turned off but when the pressure ( which is very high ) is built up in the head that is enough to blow the water back out the system. Just an idea as seen both thing happen before. If either of the above your in the screwed and need a new head.

If your only loosing water when driving and there is no white smoke loosen the water reservoir cap so there is no pressure build up in the system. If the car stops loosing water it`s because there is a pressure build up in the system forcing the water out of the expansion over flow pipe. If the head has already had K Seal in it then that might have stopped the leak but blocked one or several engine coolant channels ( engine would probably run hot if used for a long journey or driven hard ) or the hole is small enough not to let enough water through when turned off but when the pressure ( which is very high ) is built up in the head that is enough to blow the water back out the system. Just an idea as seen both thing happen before. If either of the above your in the screwed and need a new head.

Hi mate

Thanks for the help ill explain basically what its been doing the last few days as ive been driving it around.

i brought the car about 6 weeks ago and found out there was k seal in the system so i changed the coolant by removing the bottom rad hose and after i removed the hose it was still leaking coolant for a few days and then it started smoking bad out the exhaust which lead to the car not starting the following morning.

so i got it booked in at a garage and they took all the head off sent the head away to get tested and supposedly came back all ok so got it skimmed and rebuilt it with fresh gaskets and cam belt and water pump kit.

since i got the car back its still loosing coolant but its starting straight up in the morning and there no white smoke no more. if i leave the car running for an hour or so it wont loose a drop the radiator fans all are ok and working, but if i drive it for a few mintutes the level will drop quite alot and if i release the cap on the tank the coolant level comes back up to the upper mark then the coolant just disappears leaving the tank very low or empty.

Not to sure what the issue is as it as theres no signs of anything.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a build up of pressure in the system for some reason which is probably pushing the water out the one way over flow system. When you take the cap off this releases the pressure build up causing the water to blow back up into the reservoir before flowing back down into the coolant system. What`s causing this could be what i have mentioned above but is only a guess at best.

Reactions: tdi-man
Sounds like a build up of pressure in the system for some reason which is probably pushing the water out the one way over flow system. When you take the cap off this releases the pressure build up causing the water to blow back up into the reservoir before flowing back down into the coolant system. What`s causing this could be what i have mentioned above but is only a guess at best.

Where is best to get a new head? Surely if I get a recon there's more chance of it cracking again? My head has cracked and I need to get one ordered up ASAP but I don't know who from?

hi all
ive recently posted a topic regarding the excessive amount of coolant ive been loosing
ive had the head tested which came back to apprently be ok and had all the head gasket replaced while it was apart the mechanic mentioned there was water in two of the cylinders. i think this will explain it not wanting to turn over the morning after using it.
after all this the problem is still there its still doing the exact same thing.

whats the chances of the block being damaged ?
i think the company that have meant to have checked the head havent checked it properly or not atall.

i will explain what it does you can leave it running the ages and the coolant level will not drop it only seems to drop when you drive it there is loads of white smoke coming out the exhaust which is a sign.
the cooling system is not being pressurised its flowing as it should do normally.

if anyones has any suggestiong that would be great

Thanks
Ive been toping my header tank daily thinking it was the head gasket or head at fault!....
This is a picture of my egr cooler with water actually squirting from the bolt holes (only when the engine was running) ...
also I've notice there had been big puffs of white smoke when first fired up from cold

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,753
I've had a coolant leak the past few miles, pressure tested it to find coolant squirting out of a hose coming out of the block up to a T piece.

I have a 2006 2.0TDi BKD Quattro which started losing coolant and having excessive white condensation smoke. I had no drips underneath the car. I went on the Internet and soon went to 'forum reading panic level 5' that I either had a head gasket leaking or 'classic' BKD porous cylinder head. I enquired with Darkside Developments about the cost of buying and fitting a new head and Danny from there recommended first making sure it wasn't the EGR cooler leaking coolant into inlet manifold via the EGR valve. He was right it turned out to be the EGR cooler leaking. No more coolant level dropping and no more excessive condensation from exhaust. Thanks Danny.

My bkd 2004 with B type head looses coolant, but about 100ml in couple months... I don't know where to start searching for probs...

Im in the same boat, no leaks, pressure tested fine, Egr cooler already deleted but audi said slight trace of dried coolant near water pump!
My local Audi/Vw claim the have about 4 a week in for leaking water pumps so that's my next move as due cambelt and water pump in a month or so anyways!
Fingers crossed it'll hold coolant after!

Im in the same boat, no leaks, pressure tested fine, Egr cooler already deleted but audi said slight trace of dried coolant near water pump!
My local Audi/Vw claim the have about 4 a week in for leaking water pumps so that's my next move as due cambelt and water pump in a month or so anyways!

Does it leak a lot? How often the coolant warning goes on?

Not a huge amount!
Goes from Max fill line to warning light in around 4/5 Days!
Getting pump changed tonight hopefully so will no in a week or so if its solved mine!

In my car warning light flashes when coolant is at upper line... So I top up 1/2 of a tank. But couple months and warning comes up...

Not a huge amount!
Goes from Max fill line to warning light in around 4/5 Days!
Getting pump changed tonight hopefully so will no in a week or so if its solved mine!
did you get the problem fixed in the end?

did you get the problem fixed in the end?

Unfortunately I'm still losing coolant so I'm currently running with a dye in the coolant so will go back in a week or so to see if there's and signs using a UV light... Doing my head in now!

Unfortunately I'm still losing coolant so I'm currently running with a dye in the coolant so will go back in a week or so to see if there's and signs using a UV light... Doing my head in now!

did you find the leak?

Been running with dye in coolant for 3/4 weeks now so was time to investigate tonight with a UV light and to my surprise..... NOTHING!

No trace of any dye in the bay, exhaust tips or anything... Proper mystery now and I'm starting to give up!

I was under the impression that the porous head leaks the coolant into the cylinders, where it evaporates, hence why you wouldn't find the leak escaping anywhere

I thought only the early models had porous issues plus think we would expect dye out the back!

I have an audi a3 2.0 tdi 2005

It is loosing coolant.
There's no white smoke while engine running and hot.
Not overheating.
No milky foam.
There is preasure in coolant tank, when i open it sometimes the coolant level goes up.
Can it be a blown head gasket?

So how did you delete the EGR? Can you send me a picture. My check engine light is on, im thinking its the EGR. Thank you

My audi been loosing coolant, ive loosen the water tank cap. It seem to the level aint dropin now, any ideas why?

Anyone saw EGR & ASV combo delete kit anywhere? Keeping stock boost pipes.

Oh this topic... :)

I will write my full experience once again regarding this matter as I have read a lot of misinformation which led me to believe my head was fine and I replaced head gasket, EGR valve, EGR cooler, interior heater, water pump and a lot more before I came to conclusion it was the head after all. Changing the head stopped the leak.

First of all, I've seen a lot of people mentioning bubbles or foam in oil or on oil cap. I did not have this yet my cylinder head was cracked.
Coolant was pressurized for me as well, opening the coolant tank would get the coolant level up.
Car would start a bit hard at times, sometimes it would start just fine.
I did not have white smoke almost ever yet this would be an obvious sign of a fallen cylinder head.
I tried K-seal - don't do it. K-seal cannot cure coolant leaks on cylinder head, it can only make things a lot worse as the pressure can push K-seal into your cylinders - not fun. K-seal however does work if you have a cracked coolant pipe or EGR cooler. Still I would never recommend it.
A company did pressure testing on my cylinder head and they said it was fine - don't fully trust them. The crack on my cylinder head was clearly visible near valve on cylinder 1.

So how did you delete the EGR? Can you send me a picture. My check engine light is on, im thinking its the EGR. Thank you
Google is your friend here is a guide don't be lazy.
And yes first of all I would reccommend the egr cooler as well pipes inspection, and pressure build up when ut can't flow freely so there is some obstruction like a hmmm... k-seal sealed the flow somewhere... or some gasket went into flow. Also could be an old radiator clogged up (cost around 50£ for new one) so anyway before changing gasket check these up, as well expect some pressure in the system as water vaporising.

I have a audi a3 2ltr tdi 2014
Lost all coolent garage replaced egr cooler then a week later lost all coolent again then said header tank leaking replaced that been fine round town for 700 miles drove to London last night come out this morning coolent empty no white smoke no water marks any where any ideas plz??