Audi A3 2.0 TDI - Big loss of power, slightly rough idle and poor MPG?

AudiA32.0Tdi

Reaction score
hey guys, I've been having some very frustrating issues with my Audi 2.0 tdi. Before these issues my car was great, it loved to rev and to pick up speed, whilst power being there all the way from the rev range.

The last couple of weeks the engine has lost a lot of power. It feels like a 90bhp car. as opposed to being 140bhp. This is what happens: The car is running slightly rough that usual, you can feel the engine shaking a tiny, tiny bit. but its not misfiring. When I set off in 1st year, it pulls from 1k-2250 revs just fine, plently of torque, but as soon as i go past 2500 rpms and get to 3k revs and beyond the cars loses power and does accelerate - especially on a steep hill. If I am going up a hill in 2nd gear with full throttle the car goes from 1k to 2k revs fast and then slows down from 2k-3k revs and just stays at 3k revs - its feels like something is stopping it. it does not get to the redline at all. Because of this issue, I am now driving the car only up to 2k revs max to keep it in the power band. On the motor I have the same issue, however as it has 6 gears, it still gets to 70mph.

So I am just wondering of what the issue can be?

Please note, I have had a new turbo fitted 2 months ago, and its been serviced as well. The turbo is not making any loud noises, it sounds normal, there is no white, black or blue smoke. As I am accelerating, when it goes past 2.5k revs, it feels as if its about to accelerate more for a bit and then something is slowing it down and limiting the revs.

once I had a look at the pipe that is connected to the EGR valve which was a little bit loose, I took the pipe on and couldn't get it properly. so I started driving it like that, in that state there was literally no power whatsoever. I took it to a garage to get it fitted on properly. and then the car seemed ok, but still had that lag I talked about. I should say that when the pipe was off, the engine managment light came on and showed faults in the MAF and the Boost pressure regulator. So i am wondering if these are the problems that are causing the lag? I disconnected the MAF sensor and the car was worse...

so if the fault showed MAF sensor, is that the issue with it? The engine management is off now, and hasnt came back on.

Also, a bit off topic, I noticed that the coolant goes slightly down after about 700-800 miles of driving, over time it goes to minimum, but its never ran out completely, so could be a small leak or a porus head? can it be related to this problem? I've checked the oil and it seems clean, there is no smoke and the oil is full.

What is the problem with the car losing power? I did check the EGR valve and the valve opens and closes fine, it doesn't stick.

Seems to me if you had a new turbo fit its most likely going to be related to that. Did you have a refurbished turbo fitted by any chance?

I had an Ibiza Cupra TDI few years ago and had to change the turbo. Garage stuck on a refurbed turbo and it kept doing what yours is. Would drive ok up to a certain RPM then go into limp mode and really struggle. Turned out the wastegate settings had not been set correctly when refurbed. Once adjusted and test driven a few times it was spot on. Something to look into.

Seems to me if you had a new turbo fit its most likely going to be related to that. Did you have a refurbished turbo fitted by any chance?

I had an Ibiza Cupra TDI few years ago and had to change the turbo. Garage stuck on a refurbed turbo and it kept doing what yours is. Would drive ok up to a certain RPM then go into limp mode and really struggle. Turned out the wastegate settings had not been set correctly when refurbed. Once adjusted and test driven a few times it was spot on. Something to look into.

Yes, the turbo is reconditioned with a 12 month warranty, However it's been three months since the turbo was fitted, and it's only started to have this problem since last week. Drives very well up to 2.5k rpms, after that its very slow. It's ok for motorway though, still gets up to 70mph and more. It is driveable, but just annoying at times.

Check out my youtube link, it may be your Actuator which controls your turbo. When the diaphragm fails (wear), it looses its vacuum at around 2.5 to 3k rpm. It can be a small hole so it does it on occasion and other not. It will throw up a code error and the Engine management light will come on with a fault code of P0299 also