Audi A3 1.9TDIe 2009 Fuel Economy prob

ruairi83

Reaction score
Im getting very very poor fuel economy.

Have a Audi A3 1.9TDIe 2009. Car is on standard 16" wheels and good michellin tyres with good pressure.

Car has 109k miles, full history, new air filter, fuel filter this week and skirt of millars fuel cleaner. going to change pollen and oil filter this wend.

Im getting very very poor fuel economy.

This is suppose to be the eco model that gets 62mpg but im getting no where near this.

for just under half a tank i got 219miles. Ive been driving the car properly and changing gears when trip computer tell me to but this is a joke.

Could it just be like this as it needs a service (oil and Filter) be the prob?

There is also a musty smell in car, dont think the air con has been regassed before. ive been turning it off completely so it doesnt use the fuel either.

anyone any ideas why it could be eatting the fuel?
Cheers

I've had this problem on my 2010 1.6TDI which is supposed to return easy 60+. Despite regular battles with Audi UK nothing could be resolved. I've been lucky to get 48mpg!!
Does your car have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)? If so get that checked. Other than that I would certainly replace Oil, check brakes are working properly and not dragging. A brake piston may be seized. I wouldn't go with the DIS. I would fill tank full and check after refill for 'actual' MPG

doesnt have a dpf mate. ive fully service it and checked brakes and all ok there.

im regreting buy this now. thinking i might sell on ....

My 1.9 is being very hit and miss. 45mpg one tank then 60mpg the next and I do exactly the same driving.

no one else had this?>>>????

What sort of driving are you doing? We have a 2010 170 TDi Common Rail s-tronic A3 and get 550 - 600 miles to a full tank and 55mpg on a mixed driving run. Even around town we get 45mpg...

I have the Sport version of your car and get 650+ to a tank - daily mostly windy Yorkshire roads with a bit of A1 thrown into the mix. DIS generally averages 58+ MPG. Swapping for a 1.6TDI common rail later this year - should hopefully get better still but who knows?

Also, although not widely publicised, I think the 1.9TDIe does have a DPF - Golf bluemotions with the same engine and from the same time do and these do too (maybe)

i got a local tuner to check and i defo dont have a dpf and he checked through car and it seems fine but mpg is awful. going contact audi monday with chasis and check about dpf for sure.

I also have a similar problem but mine is the 2.0 tdi sport 140bhp.

I bought mine 2nd hand 6 months ago around 110k on clock. I had full service done to it. Still was getting low mpg. I thought this maybe due to the fact I let the diesel go low as when you get the warning on DIS. So I have been been popping in £40 of diesel just before the needle hits the 1st red line.

At the most I have been getting around 150 miles local driving plus about 50 miles motorway driving before it goes back to the red line and I have been driving around like a girl.

I dont calculate using DIS, however DIS shows miles dropping like crazy. I might just drive to bottom of the road and it drops by around 10 miles on DIS lol

Will my car have DPF, also will MPG be affected by something such as not having under tray on?

Just found out mine is missing

What the missing undertray will do will be absolute minimal I would imagine. Phil_W I have the 1.6TDI common rail engine and with regards to consumption and performance...beware!! It is sooo underpowered. When in low revs it struggles to get up slight hills, you have to drop a gear or two and build up revs therefore using a helluva lot of fuel. In high revs it uses a helluva lot of fuel anyway. I know alot of people now with this engine and are very dissapointed in it. I also know the 2.0Tdi can be far more economical, smoother and obviously more power. In my opinion stay away from 1.6tdi.

With regards to getting a 'full service' done ask if they have changed the filters. I've had two 'Audi' full services and on both none of the filters had been changed. I ended up doing it myself

JCMCN - noted on the 1.6TDI but although I'd be no worse off with a 2.0TDI at first (company car tax) - in years 2 and 3 the tax goalposts move to make you considerably worse off if you have a 2.0TDI over the 1.6TDI. Can't win really!

Just for reference - last week I got 350miles on the halfway mark on the gauge and this week more like 380.

JCMCN - Have been pondering over this now for a while and I think I'll take a punt at a Black Edition 2.0TDI rather than s-line 1.6. The revs/economy thing makes sense. Think I'll borrow a 2.0TDI from the dealer and take a couple of days of real world commute for an assessment...