Audi A3 1.9 vs 2.0 for fuel economy (around 2004-2006)

granty578

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've just sold my Mondeo ST TDCI and I was slightly upset about its fuel economy on anything but a long motorway journey.

I'm now on the quest for a car with better fuel economy and I've had a few mates with the Golf GT TDI's (mk4) in the 1.9 variant and seemingly some of the journeys they would do they would achieved 45-50mpg where as I couldn't touch that.

So I'm looking to get an A3, golf or Leon with either the 1.9 or 2.0 engine and I was wondering what is the concesous? The 2.0l appears to be a little thirsty and may not be much better than the Mondy was (kind of hoping for a huge step up really).

I am probably going to view a 2004 a3 tomorrow with a nice s3 kit on etc, looks the part but has the 2.0l engine so I want to be sure what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks,

Granty

I get around 45mpg on motorway driving in my 2.0ltr(140bhp).

Theres loads of threads on mpg on here do a search you should find the answer your looking for.

As said, there's loads of threads around MPG figures.

If it was me and I was looking for both decent MPG and performance then I'd get a 2.0l and remap it.

I have a 2004 2.0 TDI 140 and its very rare I get below 50mpg. Im usually getting between 53 to 56 mpg, sometimes slightly higher.

I get this on my commute of 23 miles on B roads and a 5 minute stretch on a main A road.

I dont use supermarket fuel. Only time I ever have was a tank of Morrisons and the car ran awful and didnt get above 45mpg on the same journey.

Thanks guys - yeah been looking and looking for posts on here and to be honest, what I kept seeing was it wasn't great but ok.

Was thinking of getting the £150 remap from awesome gti though?

Minimum of 45mpg here. DIS2 says 56MPG average since Ive had the car, although I think this may be a little high.

The 1.9 tdi A3 with 105 BHP is a little under powered to be honest. I have a 2.0 tdi as well and get better mpg from the 2.0 as you have to rev the balls off the 1.9 to get it to go anywhere.

However most will say the1.9 is bombproof in terms of reliability compared to a 2.0. However I have not had any trouble with either.

I have a 2004 2.0 TDI 140 and its very rare I get below 50mpg. Im usually getting between 53 to 56 mpg, sometimes slightly higher.

I get this on my commute of 23 miles on B roads and a 5 minute stretch on a main A road.

I dont use supermarket fuel. Only time I ever have was a tank of Morrisons and the car ran awful and didnt get above 45mpg on the same journey.

same here. 2.0 tdi 140 bkd, all town driving and get between 45-50

I have a 1.9 tdi e and I get 65 mpg from my house in brum to Stratford where I work. If I reset the computer whilst I'm on the motorway I can get it into high seventies easily.

I know it's not the quickest engine but I have just had it mapped and I'm getting loads of extra power and torque across the revs and my mpg around town has slightly improved I think. It's hard to judge cause I keep being a tad heavy with the right foot cause I'm loving it at the mo.
I've only had this car for a month and I've filled up 1 less whole tank than my last motor so that's saved me £70 and I'd expect that to go up if the novelty of driving he A3 as much as I can ever wears off 😀

If mega economy is the goal then perhaps you need to be looking at a smaller capacity diesel ?

Cheers guys!

If mega economy is the goal then perhaps you need to be looking at a smaller capacity diesel ?

I'm 6ft7 so really without buying a newer car with a 1.6 engine I'm not going to get anything else in this car size category with a smaller engine :)

Was looking at the awesome gti map for £150, any good?

Was having this conversation with a dealer the other day... If its economy you're after, definitely go for the 1.9! The 2.0 isn't as good on fuel for sure. I reckon my old 1.9 was at least 15% better on fuel and it was bulletproof!

According to the DIS I have got 46mpg out of the 1.9 over the last 4000+ miles and 44 from the 2.0

However the 2.0 spends most of its time in traffic and the 1.9 gets a slow run down the motorway everyday.

According to the DIS I have got 46mpg out of the 1.9 over the last 4000+ miles and 44 from the 2.0

However the 2.0 spends most of its time in traffic and the 1.9 gets a slow run down the motorway everyday.

What bhp are those engines out of interest?1

That's pretty poor for a 1.9, I used to have to rag my old one to get that kind of consumption

I just think 105bhp in a car as heavy as a Sportback 8p is underpowered and hence poor consumption

I get that around Birmingham. It should be getting a lot more than your 2ltr. Are you sure it's not the 1.9 130bhp?

Theres no denying the 105 is no hotrod but keep it in the the low revs and ride the torque and it's absolutely fine. Will cruise at 90 all day long.

Ours is returning an easy 50-60 mpg on a run.

I'm also thinking about the 1.9 or 2.0 TDI, but I'm more inclined to the 140 BHP as don't want anything too slow, I do a journey of 410 miles in one go 4 times a month and sit at around 80 MPH on cruise control, I'm hoping for 60-65 MPG from this, is this achievable on this long journey?

I'm also thinking about the 1.9 or 2.0 TDI, but I'm more inclined to the 140 BHP as don't want anything too slow, I do a journey of 410 miles in one go 4 times a month and sit at around 80 MPH on cruise control, I'm hoping for 60-65 MPG from this, is this achievable on this long journey?

Not at 80 mph.

You might get between 55-60mpg but I doubt you'll get any more than that at those speeds. You'd have to do 60mph for those mpg

ive a 105bhp a3 sportback. which was very poor fuel economy. Got it mapped to 150bhp and its far better on mpg that before.

You might get between 55-60mpg but I doubt you'll get any more than that at those speeds. You'd have to do 60mph for those mpg

This, although I'd say 50mpg tops at 80mph. Economy drops off significantly over 70mph in mine.

Alright, doesn't sound too bad then, cheers

Just done a Manchester to Aberdeen run and back in my 2.0 140 CR and cruised at 75 all the way there returned 53mpg on the dis. Coming back was raining and only got 44 mpg.
Probably the drag on the 18 inch wheels from the rain. Also all done on cruise

You gotta be 60 to 65 to get 60 mpg out of these things.

Just done a Manchester to Aberdeen run and back in my 2.0 140 CR and cruised at 75 all the way there returned 53mpg on the dis. Coming back was raining and only got 44 mpg.
Probably the drag on the 18 inch wheels from the rain. Also all done on cruise

You gotta be 60 to 65 to get 60 mpg out of these things.

Ah i see, i was too optimistic :hi:

I'd be quite happy TBH with 50 MPG, my current steed (1.8P Mondeo) only returns 35 MPG at 75-80 MPH and a lot worse around town

Cheers for all your response guys :) I've bought a 2.0tdi and hopefully its better than the mondeo around town. I've also gone for a DSG version.

What does everyone generally get out of a tank?

Cheers for all your response guys :) I've bought a 2.0tdi and hopefully its better than the mondeo around town. I've also gone for a DSG version.

What does everyone generally get out of a tank?

About 500-650 the latter being when it's pretty much driven all motorway though :D.