Audi A3 1.8TFSI Piston rings replacement cost?

Igooch it's an 11 sport back black edition full Audi service history 32k on the clock and 2 services to go as well how ironic

i'll be starting an oil consumption test tomorrow on my 8p 1.8TFSI. 75k.

Here goes !

What year Ibisa3 ?

What's your symptoms other then filling it with oil all too often.
Lots of white smoke when cold, more than other cars ? Very black sooty exhaust tips ?

september 09.
I've only had it for 7 days, and it had a long run bringing it home.

Just looking at the oil filter set up - surely thats a horrible place to have an oil filter, unless its got some kind of one way valve, or the oil pump acts as one.

I've been and grabbed some oil, im presuming you guys are dipping it cold, topping to the max level, then testing again in like 500 miles or so, and measuring the oil required to get back to the max mark, again, stone cold ?

I would stay its a bit steamy compared to other cars, but it disperses very quickly, and hence isnt oil being burned.

The exhaust tips are however very sooty, and i noticed lots of black marks after the run home ( again, its been sat for a while, so that means nothing)

This engine has had a top end rebuild in the last 12000 miles, at an audi dealer. Waiting to hear back, but suspect stretched or snapped chain. Its certainly had an inlet valve replaced.......

I'm also starting to notice a miss at tickover.. its not much, but i can feel and hear it. Ruled out it being a coil pack by swapping each with a known working 1 by 1.

Before it gets moved 2morrow morning i'll do the oil, and mark the coolant just in case.

I know WHICH dealer did the work, and audi customer services are suggesting it was either a warranty job, or a goodwill. The dealer themselves are point blank refusing to give me any information, and won't even say if they have done any work on it.

I presume when we are talking about a ring issue, we are refering to the oil control ring ? anyone got data from a compression test ?

september 09.
I've only had it for 7 days, and it had a long run bringing it home.

Just looking at the oil filter set up - surely thats a horrible place to have an oil filter, unless its got some kind of one way valve, or the oil pump acts as one.

I've been and grabbed some oil, im presuming you guys are dipping it cold, topping to the max level, then testing again in like 500 miles or so, and measuring the oil required to get back to the max mark, again, stone cold ?

I would stay its a bit steamy compared to other cars, but it disperses very quickly, and hence isnt oil being burned.

The exhaust tips are however very sooty, and i noticed lots of black marks after the run home ( again, its been sat for a while, so that means nothing)

This engine has had a top end rebuild in the last 12000 miles, at an audi dealer. Waiting to hear back, but suspect stretched or snapped chain. Its certainly had an inlet valve replaced.......

I'm also starting to notice a miss at tickover.. its not much, but i can feel and hear it. Ruled out it being a coil pack by swapping each with a known working 1 by 1.

Before it gets moved 2morrow morning i'll do the oil, and mark the coolant just in case.

I know WHICH dealer did the work, and audi customer services are suggesting it was either a warranty job, or a goodwill. The dealer themselves are point blank refusing to give me any information, and won't even say if they have done any work on it.

I presume when we are talking about a ring issue, we are refering to the oil control ring ? anyone got data from a compression test ?

Yep stone cold dip and then the same to top up. Had the oil light on once. I check it once a month now. It's a right pain. I also have a diesel and I don't lift the bonnet at all between 18k services !

Iirc the manual suggests a cold start, then run for 30 seconds, leave for 2 mins, then dip.

To be honest, my dipstick seems horribly inaccurate.

Fingers crossed.......

you guys with the 1.8 TFSI engine are (particularly the 2009-2012) are sitting on a potential ticking "TIME BOMB".
This massive oil consumption issue is widely known by Audi but they will strongly deny it.
How can a modern engine drink so much oil.
I say this because I have the same car with engine code CDAA with the same problem but worse.
Piston rings on these affected cars were plasma cut rather than being machine cut.
This oil consumption is due to a design fault on the size of the piston rings (NOT WEAR & TEAR) which are not sealing the pistons properly.
This in turn results on the oil pump to get oil round the engine and eventually the weakest points such as the tensioner
and cam chain fails thereby bending the valves.
The excessive oil consumption is also a big problem on variants of the 2.0 TFSI as well.

it eventually led to a drop in oil pressure and this puts strain on my tensioner thereby casing the chain to collapse causing catastrophic engine failure.
all the valves bent following an endoscope probe.
Audi UK were nasty and so were the stealers but I had no choice.
now I have just had a brand new engine by Audi which cost me an arm and a leg.

Couldn't wait till end of the month due to a shocking discovery last Monday had the car up on the ramp at vw noticed a ridiculous amount of oil all over the back of the engine and loads inside the intercooler intake which I know a small amount will be there but not that much I had so straight to Audi I go show the the videos and pictures no questions asked they took the car. Long story short the tech who done the head gasket didn't clean all the oil off the engine neither out of the intake or fill the oil back up hence no oil(should of checked but I didn't at the time). The engine has been fully cleaned 400miles put on the clock and no oil consumption or leaks so I'm hoping im sorted now.

I have a 2.0TFSI and looking through the forums the oil consumption can be anywhere from 0.5 -1.0L of oil per 1000 miles. It seems slightly ridiculous but I brought my car in September and have done about 5-6k and its used 4L of oil

Be aware that this is a Known Issue on the 1.8 TFSI 8P CDAA motors between 2009-2012. There is a problem with the oil rings.
Complete new set of Pistons with Con-rods from Audi at a high cost . The ring-set for the original pistons is not available at all as these are prone for oil consumption. My A3 1.8 TFSI uses about 1.5 liters of oil now on a tank of petrol now had this huge oil usage from about 80000km, before it use about 0.5 liters per tank and gradually using more and more. You can try contacting Audi for financial assistance on such a repair but do not get your hopes up, I was told my mileage is too high and the car model too old. There is no other fix for this oil usage problem not even replacing the oil separator works, so do not waste your money on anything else then replacing the pistons and rings.

My 1.8t FSI (see avatar) used quite a bit of oil but nowhere near as much as my 2.0t FSI did (same model car) although that was remapped etc.

I used to get through about a litre of oil every 1000-1200 miles in the 1.8, the 2.0 used to do about 600-800 miles per 1L.

No white smoke on either except startup which is just condensation inside exhaust, no blue smoke at all.

When I bought the 2.0t from Shaks, on the drive home it went through 3L of oil, light kept coming on every 150-200 miles. Had been sat on forecourt for 6 months before I bought it.

And yes on both cars you get a lot of soot, I polished my exhaust tips every week on the 1.8t because it used to go black almost instantly!

you guys with the 1.8 TFSI engine are (particularly the 2009-2012) are sitting on a potential ticking "TIME BOMB".
This massive oil consumption issue is widely known by Audi but they will strongly deny it.
How can a modern engine drink so much oil.
I say this because I have the same car with engine code CDAA with the same problem but worse.
Piston rings on these affected cars were plasma cut rather than being machine cut.
This oil consumption is due to a design fault on the size of the piston rings (NOT WEAR & TEAR) which are not sealing the pistons properly.
This in turn results on the oil pump to get oil round the engine and eventually the weakest points such as the tensioner
and cam chain fails thereby bending the valves.
The excessive oil consumption is also a big problem on variants of the 2.0 TFSI as well.
Anyone sell aftermarket rings/pistons for CDAA engine?
Might be worth doing that for piece of mind?

Anyone sell aftermarket rings/pistons for CDAA engine?
Might be worth doing that for piece of mind?

The bulk of aftermarket parts are designed as part of uprated piston/rod sets,and wouldn't be applicable to stock engines,but @mjr901 would be the person to ask here re availability of parts for stock engines.

JE do them but I don't know the OEM compression or dimensions to know if they would fit.

£880 but that's with pistons also.

Might be worth machining them and selling them to Audi or TFSI owners as a business on the side? £200 rrp ish for just rings.

I've had my 59 plate S3 since May 2014 and it currently has 90k on the clock.
It's always used a fair amount of oil, probably 0.5 litres every 1.5-2k miles.
In the 40k miles I've done, it's not got any worse and most of that time it's been at either stage 2 or stage 2+.
I would say if it's not coming straight out of the exhaust as soon as you put it in, don't panic as I'm not.
Best car I've ever owned period!