Audi A3 1.6tdi overheating

aky20

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an annoying issue with my a3 which is even confusing my Audi mechanic.

The car is on 130k and recently had the fly wheel and clutch replaced due to excessive vibration. Once this was done, I noticed that it he heaters where not outputting much heat and then on longer journeys identified that the car started to over heat.

The temp used to sit at 90 no issues, but now goes to to 90 and continues to fluctuate and on a handful of occasions the coolant warning light has come on.

We have identified that the water pump was leaking so have changed the water pump cam belt and thermostat. The car is still over heating and we are struggling to find the fault.

There are no visible signs of leaks and the heating is still luke warm. We have tried bleeding the system, but still no joy.

Any thoughts on what to target next?

At the same time, the dpf light has sprung up, but presume this is due to a regen needed.

We are thinking it is an air block or the heater matrix being blocked?

He also mentioned that there is no excessive pressure in the expansion tank after taking it out for a drive.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a blockage or air lock.As your car is fitted with more than one water pump possibly two/three depending on spec which are all electronically controlled even the one driven by the timing belt. there is a test plan in odis to able them to open up to bleed the high and low pressure side of the cooling system. This could be the cause or as you have stated the heater matrix . As with any fault however diagnosis is impossible without physically being able to see the car. Best of luck however.

Thought you had a 8V not 8p was in wrong forum. You will only have one additional water pump which is electric and standard belt driven mechanical pump. Bleeding principle is still the same however.

Last edited:
Reactions: aky20
Finally got the car back a month later, after replacing the water pump (which was leaking already) it was the heater matrix in the end that was blocked up and causing issues with the engine overheating.