Audi A3 1.6l 2003 - Possible upgrades/Modifications

daltonaudia3

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to driving, first car I want to learn more about it and make it a hobby.
Whilst searching the web about info regarding strut brace, I encountered this site and another owner being slated for considering getting one. I bought one, didn't realize I needed to drill holes and it doesn't fit anyway.
So with that in mind I thought I'd ask the help and advice of people who know what they are doing.

I would like to tinker with my car but with actual gains, is this possible? I'm thinking practical things such as upgrading air filter, suspension shocks, tires, brakes etc.
Any advice on where to look, what's do-able and worthwhile?
Based in Ireland if that matters any.

Thanks for taking the time!!!

I think you would be best off selling the car and getting a 1.8t as your starting base.

However being other that sensible there is nothing too bad.

Although rather then upgrade unless you can find good second hand bits id be looking at replacement new items.

So new shocks if you cant find some decent suspension struts for a good price.
Lower dog bone bushing (Cheap and easy mod, makes a good difference)
Maybe new lower arms if your bushings are a little bit worn. (New arms for these are dirt cheap)
Perhaps s3 front brakes. You can get these fairly cheap. Or perhaps from a seat leon cupra
Tires will make a world of difference from the ditch finders you probably have on there. I recommoend hankook ventus v12 evo k110`s on this chassis in the correct size.

Do little things like flush out all your fluids ect.

Drive it... put bigger wheels on if you need to, lower it if you need to but just drive it and wait until you can insure a 1.8t... anything you do to a 1.6 engine will have a negligible affect on power, the brakes would require parts from a 1.8t to be worth considering so in all honesty just bang some wheels on and save yer cash for a year or so...

The car will be worth more un molested to the next new driver you sell it too and you can buy a 1.8t, get it mapped with the money you have saved and be happy...

I know it sounds harsh but it really isn't worth it... a 1.6 A3 is just transport and nothing else... treat as such and get over the first year of motoring to get your insurance down... then look at getting something you can spend money on and get something to show for it...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: sam4191, Lavis89, Clart and 1 other person
Hi Dalton,

I totally agree with what tuffty is saying I recently bought an audi a3 1.6 2001, I've only been able to drive 4 months the mods I have done is an air filter cone one was abit of a ballache as I could find an adaptor which fit so I had to use a solder iron and buy one which was a close fit and just melt it and use screws and nuts to hold it together it works great sounds nice once I hit about 2500-3500revs, I have alloys which I have bought not sure if I calculated them right as they would stick out an inch to much on the front which I need some advise on myself, other then that I have just done some cosmetics to it cleaned it up

What Tuffty said...
Very wise words from a very wise Badger... >.<

You'll be surprised when it comes to insurance on a 1.8t, just wait a little while until the car/insurance is affordable then grab one of them. I was driving a POS 1 litre punto for a few months before i got my a3, and my insurance only went up by £30 for the year.