Audi a3 1.6 tdi s tronic sportback

Kittisak Wisetsri

Reaction score
Quick question does anyone have a 1.6 tdi s tronic and getting bad mileage? I fill mine up £60 or so full tank and the range is saying 430 but i get less than that probably around 350 to 380. is this normal, I normally do short start/stop journeys but was wondering if that's normal or is there something wrong

yes thats normal for your driving style. you should really be in a petrol

Also, apart from journey type, driving style has an impact too. I had a 1.6 diesel extended courtesy car several years ago and it had to be pushed to get any performance - not crazy stuff but that will kill fuel economy.

Reactions: Kittisak Wisetsri
I have the same engine/gearbox... it's an awful combo IMO. Gutless, and as mentioned needs to be worked hard which will impact the economy.

My MPG has got better over time but nothing like I'd hoped for.

Quick question does anyone have a 1.6 tdi s tronic and getting bad mileage? I fill mine up £60 or so full tank and the range is saying 430 but i get less than that probably around 350 to 380. is this normal, I normally do short start/stop journeys but was wondering if that's normal or is there something wrong

I get 320 ish miles out of a tank on my s3.
Most of it is sitting in traffic around 1 hour each way doing about 12 miles. I would have expected any diesel to be much better than that. Possibly around 400-500 miles

Forgot to add, we also have a MK 7 Golf GTD which consistently delivers higher mpg than my A3, even under pretty spirited driving.

I do mostly long motorway trips in mine and in the warmer summer months see around 50mpg, in winter it drops considerably. The long term mpg on the trip computer reads around 48mgp from memory, Audi quote 70 mpg in their literature, which as we all know is pie in the sky but I’d hoped for mid 50’s at least.

Bit of a shame really as I really like the car, very nice spec black edition but it’s a really frustrating drive.

I have an Audi A3 2002 Automatic Transmission;
The gearbox Drive or 4th gear is not working anymore,
for that reason I decided to swap to a manual transmission.
My cars engine is a:
4 in-line, 1.6L, 8 valve, Motor# AVU
I was researching that maybe a gearbox from a VW Golf 1999 could fit, but i don`t know for sure, I was wondering if any of you guys can help me indicating which manual gearbox can fit, if any!!! or do a complete engine gearbox swap...
Thanks

yes thats normal for your driving style. you should really be in a petrol
Haha "you should be in petrol" just because of this :D
Hey everyone with tdi switch to petrol :D

With 1.6 tdi you should make like 500 miles hah.. I have 2.0 and I make 370 - 380 miles Even mine is weirdly less but around same every time i do top up.. But when I had a3 8p I think it was showing more precisely was calculating better
But I top up every two weeks so..