Audi a3 1.5 tsfi vs 2.0 tfs

Dean.F

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and not entirely sure of the etiquette of posting questions...so apologies in advance if this post is in the wrong forum!

I'm looking for some advice on the purchase of my next car...

I've owned my Audi a3 2.0 TDI 150 (2013) for 5 years and it's time to upgrade to something more modern and I just don't do the miles for a diesel these days (8k per year).

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a black edition 1.5 tfsi (150ps) 2018 but can't help thinking the 2.0 tfsi (190ps non quattro) would be a better choice, with a bigger engine and extra power. Does anyone have experience with these two engines? Is there much real-world difference in economy and performance between the two?

The model I test drove is a Black Edition 1.5 150ps auto (2018), 23k miles. Cost £22k. It's a really nice motor in white!

Or further down the country (200 mile away) is a Black Edition 2.0 190ps (2017) 52k miles. Cost £20k. Which I've not test drove!

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Dean

I owned A3 2.0 TFSI Saloon (190PS) for the last two years before changing to S3 and I absolutely loved it. Took it abroad three times and it never failed (3000 miles each trip). Really good economy on long motorway runs (43-48mpg easily achievable with full boot and two dogs on back seats). My friend owns Seat Leon 1.5 TFSI and we drove the same route in exactly the same time. He got 48.8mpg and I got 48mpg. When it comes to short city runs the 1.5 is much better with economy, and the difference is much more noticeable.

Performance: I had opportunity to drive my friend's 1.5 TFSI Leon and felt like it had a bit of lack of power, although he never complained about the reliability. I had it remapped at some point and got 250PS/420Nm which was absolutely more than enough without loss of economy.

The only issue I had was the b****y water pump and thermostat housing which was leaking, and had to replace it (leak is easy to spot when the car is on the ramp).
Make sure it was serviced every 10k/1 year instead of long-life if you decide to bite the bullet and get one.