Audi A3 1.5 TFSI S-tronic cold start noise

Trian

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have an issue what Audi Service seems to be unable to fix. I have a very strange noise coming from my car at cold start, for a few disturbing seconds, then it goes away. This happens almost every time I start the car, even after 15 minute rest.
I have attached a google drive video link.

This is my video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pxPxML7Sg0XcjdAW42BtPYMQlQun9ru4

It will go for the 3rd time on a service for this problem, still on warranty. Bought it with 29.000km 4 months ago, now it has 35.000km. I have made a couple of searches, the issues might be related to:

turbo wastegate
turbo wastegate rod
turbo actuator / linkage
dirty egr valve

Related topics I guess:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-4-tfsi-the-rattle.191924/
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-a3-s-line-turbo-charger-linkage-fault-at-startup.185941/
I found a similar issue, almost the same at 8, 12, 14 seconds. (A3c sound clip), but mine does it more constantly.

I am not a car guy, so please be easy on me if I write anything nonsense.

I mainly use the car for 200 km trips on weekends. Maybe the previous owner used it in only in city.

Could you please help me figure out what the problem is? Thank you in advance! I will post the solution if there is any.

Almost sounds like something is adjusting, reaching a position & then the noise stops, Audi should be looking at it closer as if it becomes an issues later after warranty they would possibly deflect & charge to fix.

Almost sounds like something is adjusting, reaching a position & then the noise stops, Audi should be looking at it closer as if it becomes an issues later after warranty they would possibly deflect & charge to fix.
I am thinking the same. It might be a cheap fix for now, and a major issue later. Thanks for the reply.

Exactly, but tell them this isn't normal for this engine, you want it resolved & if they say it's normal, ask them to advise what's causing & that it's ok as is, in writing.

Reactions: Trian and pburv
Is this engine on a timing chain or belt?
If it's timing chain then I would be asking dealer to check out the chain tensioner. It's driven by oil pressure. If there is a blockage in the oil uptake pipe then that will explain the rattle. Not wanting to scare you if this is the case but I had my engine disintegrate on startup on my 8p A3 4 years ago. The fault was due to the service schedule being set on variable which over time caused sludge to build up in the sump which blocked the oil pump filter. I had a new engine fitted free of charge by Audi UK.

Thanks NHN and pburv for your reply. I don't know pburv, and I am sorry for your trouble. I might be covered by the following statement.

Audi has stated:
"The catalyst heating up process causes the engine to run unequal, for this reason it resonates the turbo adjusting linkage. It does not require fixing."

It might not be the perfect translate, but the result is the same: "use it like this, this is normal, the noise goes away in 10 seconds", but they can't produce this sound on any other car. I have a written statement by the Audi central service, so I will have something to show them if it fails any time.

Reactions: pburv
Thanks NHN and pburv for your reply. I don't know pburv, and I am sorry for your trouble. I might be covered by the following statement.

Audi has stated:
"The catalyst heating up process causes the engine to run unequal, for this reason it resonates the turbo adjusting linkage. It does not require fixing."

It might not be the perfect translate, but the result is the same: "use it like this, this is normal, the noise goes away in 10 seconds", but they can't produce this sound on any other car. I have a written statement by the Audi central service, so I will have something to show them if it fails any time.
Take it to another Audi dealership for a second opinion.....If you haven't considered it yet ? i would probably only use main dealer for servicing so that they can't say it hasn't been serviced correctly if you ever have to make a claim on a verblown engine... As for the catalyst heating up routine? Never heard that one before:blink:

I have the same issue with my A3, doesn't sound right at all. Can you hear your acceleration mostly at low revs?

I have the same issue with my A3, doesn't sound right at all. Can you hear your acceleration mostly at low revs?
Your light acceleration noise comes from the resonation from the bottom cover of the car, it covers almost the entire body. Just knock it around, you will hear it. I have bent it down with my finger by 1 mm around the exhaust, and the acceleration noise stopped. When you change the wheels, should check it out! My other problem doesn’t seem to stop, I have driven 10.000 kms in 9 months, and works just fine. Audi states that I have to pay for further investigation as they have already stated “this is fine.” So I just use the car, and don’t panic about it anymore. I hope I could help!

Sounds like a simular noise to what I had with mine which turned out to the linkage inside the turbo actuator. Got the turbo swapped under warren g and been all quiet since. Im in a 1.4 tho.

Hi Everyone!

I have an issue what Audi Service seems to be unable to fix. I have a very strange noise coming from my car at cold start, for a few disturbing seconds, then it goes away. This happens almost every time I start the car, even after 15 minute rest.
I have attached a google drive video link.

This is my video:

It will go for the 3rd time on a service for this problem, still on warranty. Bought it with 29.000km 4 months ago, now it has 35.000km. I have made a couple of searches, the issues might be related to:

turbo wastegate
turbo wastegate rod
turbo actuator / linkage
dirty egr valve