Audi A3 1.4TFSI 150 8V Remap Options, Is it worth it ?

JamieT

Reaction score
Audi A3 1.4TFSI 150 8V Remap Options, Is it worth it ? would it damage the engine ? if not Which map is the best to get and the most power and one that will give me more MPG ? ?

Last edited:
Trying to contribute to this, as usually 1.4 do not get much attention:
Until now, I have tried DTUK tuning box, MTM m-cantronic and Superchips Bluefin and:
-dtuk was aggressive, the engine operation was not at all smooth, especially at 4<->2 cylinder operation transition. Removed quickly.
-MTM brought crazy performance and smooth-as-stock operation, BUT, resulted to 2 faulty turbochargers, one after 16.000km and one after 1.000. Thank god it was not detected by the dealer and warranty was not compromised.
-Superchips was the most short-lived. Having the previous experience, I monitored via vcds the max pressures and removed it when I saw 1.5 bar.

My advice would be to stay away from tuning this variant of the EA211 engine, if you do not intend to upgrade your turbocharger. I think a greek company (rtmg) offers a hybrid turbocharger for up to 240hp.

Reactions: FPSUsername and JamieT
Trying to contribute to this, as usually 1.4 do not get much attention:
Until now, I have tried DTUK tuning box, MTM m-cantronic and Superchips Bluefin and:
-dtuk was aggressive, the engine operation was not at all smooth, especially at 4<->2 cylinder operation transition. Removed quickly.
-MTM brought crazy performance and smooth-as-stock operation, BUT, resulted to 2 faulty turbochargers, one after 16.000km and one after 1.000. Thank god it was not detected by the dealer and warranty was not compromised.
-Superchips was the most short-lived. Having the previous experience, I monitored via vcds the max pressures and removed it when I saw 1.5 bar.

My advice would be to stay away from tuning this variant of the EA211 engine, if you do not intend to upgrade your turbocharger. I think a greek company (rtmg) offers a hybrid turbocharger for up to 240hp.
this is the website for the company that you mention ? https://r-tmg.co.uk/ and what do you think of the tuning boxes less safer than ecu mapping ?

Some good info below. Revo do tend to be on the conservative side for all their stage 1s so if it was an off the shelf solution I'd probably go with them.

In reference to the "crazy power" mentioned above they are clearly running way too much boost hence why its killing turbos. MTM usually have a good rep but maybe something was off with your particular install.
It does sound as if there isnt a huge amount of scope for big numbers without doing other mods. maybe the turbo is the limiting factor in this particular configuration (small turbo for quicker spool / little lag, but also meaning it doesn't have much more to give).

It might be worth speaking with a custom tuner such as MRC to get their experience and thoughts on your particular car.

I had an off-the-shelf Quantum map on my old 1.4 TFSI 140 CoD, taking to around 170hp & 220lb/ft from memory. To be honest, I liked that engine a lot even pre-map and it was of course improved with the remap. I tended to drive around the torque peak rather than rev it out. It was of course no performance car by today’s standards but I’d certainly be happy to pay £250 for that map again.

Remap over a tuning box anyday. I've had a couple of tuning boxes the difference between boxes and remaps is night and day in my experience. I had a DTUK box fitted to my old Golf R I couldn't feel much difference in terms of power delivery, what I did notice on my first drive using the box was the brakes smoking when i got out. I used it for about 2 weeks and decided to get a Revo stage 1 map and that transformed the car. The other tuning box was by Race Chip I tried it on a F-Type and made no difference at all, you can't normally go wrong with a stage 1 they're developed to stay well within the stock engine's tolerances. Revo are doing 25% off remaps this month.

Reactions: Damo S