Audi A2 Problemo

tbc

Reaction score
Having a bit of a problem with my A2 this week it's a 2002 1.4 SE petrol and over a few weeks it became difficult to start. Then it took about 10-15 to start. Then once I got it started it dropped down before cutting out and required several revs of the throttle to keep it going. This was disagnosed as a coolant temperature sensor and once replaced it started on the button. The diagnostic test also threw up a fault for an EGR.

Then l took it out last week and it drove about 5 miles with no problem or lights on the cluster. Then when I came out of the supermarket to start it up it went lumpy and died as soon as I put it in gear and took my foot on the throttle, when it was running it sounded and smelt like it was running rich . The dashboard had several lights, the EPC,ABS plus the engine management light and on the digital display the Engine Fault detection light.

I have AA membership so their mechanic turned up and did a test, said the engine was running fine one minute, then lumpy the next. He said he thought there might be air getting in somewhere he sent me the diagnostic test and towed it to my local garage. This is the readout from the AA diagnostic attached

So the car was looked at and a new manifold ordered from Audi, this was fitted to the car and the mechanic took it out for a spin on two consecutive days and both times the car started perfectly and drove fine for a few miles before beginning it's lumpy routine and struggling to get past 5mph. The mechanic seems to think it might need an ECU but I'm stumped. The car appears to drive ok and then it's almost like when it gets up to temperature it just drops and won't accelerate past 1st gear/5mph

From reading I've come across everything from camshaft sensor to something connected to the EGR but to be honest I've no idea and the experienced mechanic doesn't seem to have found a solution either. It seems from reading that an ECU fault is unusual as surely if it wouldn't drive right from start up if it was the ECU.

Any help greatly appreciated

Attachments

• thumbnail_image.jpg
    thumbnail_image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 86
  • thumbnail_IMG_8450.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8450.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 65
  • thumbnail_IMG_8447.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8447.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 60
Having a bit of a problem with my A2 this week it's a 2002 1.4 SE petrol and over a few weeks it became difficult to start. Then it took about 10-15 to start. Then once I got it started it dropped down before cutting out and required several revs of the throttle to keep it going. This was disagnosed as a coolant temperature sensor and once replaced it started on the button. The diagnostic test also threw up a fault for an EGR.

Then l took it out last week and it drove about 5 miles with no problem or lights on the cluster. Then when I came out of the supermarket to start it up it went lumpy and died as soon as I put it in gear and took my foot on the throttle, when it was running it sounded and smelt like it was running rich . The dashboard had several lights, the EPC,ABS plus the engine management light and on the digital display the Engine Fault detection light.

I have AA membership so their mechanic turned up and did a test, said the engine was running fine one minute, then lumpy the next. He said he thought there might be air getting in somewhere he sent me the diagnostic test and towed it to my local garage. This is the readout from the AA diagnostic attached

So the car was looked at and a new manifold ordered from Audi, this was fitted to the car and the mechanic took it out for a spin on two consecutive days and both times the car started perfectly and drove fine for a few miles before beginning it's lumpy routine and struggling to get past 5mph. The mechanic seems to think it might need an ECU but I'm stumped. The car appears to drive ok and then it's almost like when it gets up to temperature it just drops and won't accelerate past 1st gear/5mph

From reading I've come across everything from camshaft sensor to something connected to the EGR but to be honest I've no idea and the experienced mechanic doesn't seem to have found a solution either. It seems from reading that an ECU fault is unusual as surely if it wouldn't drive right from start up if it was the ECU.

Any help greatly appreciated

Contact WOM Automotive, tbc; lots and lots of Audi A2 experience here

GREAT cars, hope you get it sorted...