audi 1.8 t 2001 quattro buying advice

ash_gtg4

Reaction score
i im after some advice. I am looking to buy an audi a3 1.8t 2001, I have looked at one that has a few problems and wonder if anyone could confirm if these are common faults and easy to get repaired or if they are anything of real concern.

1. appears to have a small oil leak from the back of the sump possibly from thep plug. Is this a common fault as there is a lot of post on the net about this, is it an easy repair.

1. the traction light remains on even when you try and turn if off?

1. should the oil lamp come on when you turn the ignition on or does this only come on if there is a problem with the car? As this does not come on when you first start up (every car ive ever had has the light come on when u first car to indicate this is working)

1. the cam belt has been changed but the water pump hasn’t how much approximately will it cost to have these done?

any comments/advice would be very much appreciated

The oil leak shouldnt be too big a deal if its just the sump. If a new plug doesnt solve it you probably just need to re-seal it, £20 for the stuff and a few hours of your time.
From memory the oil light only comes on if theres a problem, not sure about your other queries.

To be honest mate unless you're getting a good price i'd just leave, theres plenty out there that wont need as much/anything doing!

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm getting a good price for the car it's done 84,000 and the problems above are all i can see wrong and I've managed to get him down to 1800 quid so I can afford to spend a bit on the car

Any more advice on the above would be welcome