Attempted theft S3

rajeevx5

S3
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
On Monday night where I am temporarily live, alarm went off at 3am which I had installed just a few days ago. I go down thinking it’s a false alarm and see my kitchen cabinets open and my back door open with the key barrel snapped. Luckily they ran off due to my house alarm going off. I supposedly live in a very safe neighbourhood where crime isn’t very common in a town in Leicestershire( not giving any more specific locations). The last breakin on my street according to the neighbours was 28 years ago. They planned it very well as it is not easy to get into my garden they would have to jump over 3 fences. I had fitted anti snap key barrels in the front a few months ago but not in the back because I thought impossible to get in the back. S3 owners please be aware and make sure you have antisnap key barells & door handles with 3 stars and the BS kitemarked stamped on it as snapping a regular key barell is very easy. Also have a house alarm as the alarm is the case my s3 is still on my drive!!

Reactions: TomBlueS3, NevMan, Audi Bairn and 3 others
Glad you're OK! There have been a few attempted burglaries near(ish) to me, but a bit more extreme, As you say, stay vigilant where you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rajeevx5
Glad you're OK! There have been a few attempted burglaries near(ish) to me, but a bit more extreme,As you say, stay vigilant where you can.
I sleep with a baseball bat by my bed now and have put a steering lock on my car! I’m just surprised that key barell companies sell something so rubbish and that there is not much awareness on anti snap key barells! Please all change your key barells to antisnap ones with the bs logo on it they are only £30ish from b and q . I don’t want anyone to go through what I have been through and want to make it as hard as possible for the scum!!!

Reactions: NevMan and AlS3BE
This stuff makes my blood boil!!!
Glad you are ok and they didn’t get away with much. Unfortunately it’s the only way to steal modern cars.

This is ingenious and rather worrying at the same time.
Very worrying, do what you can to minimise it, but if people want to break in to the house they will. I'd rather they take the keys and just **** off!!!! If they did break in.

Reactions: KenL, S32B, Audi Bairn and 3 others
Never heard about blow torch thing but I’m not surprised. If brute force fails start burning things. This is the level of intellect society is dealing with.

Reactions: Adam14
Very worrying, do what you can to minimise it, but if people want to break in to the house they will. I'd rather they take the keys and just **** off!!!! If they did break in.
My thoughts...got GAP insurance for a reason I suppose, got no attachment to the car that money won't fix when I buy a new one :)

Glad on this occasion you still have the car though OP!

Reactions: natalie1817 and Adam14
My thoughts...got GAP insurance for a reason I suppose, got no attachment to the car that money won't fix when I buy a new one :)

Glad on this occasion you still have the car though OP!
To be honest I don’t care about if they took the car as it’s got insurance and GAP just a lump of metal. It’s just the mental trauma that someone’s been in your house where you are supposed to feel safe is what causes the impact

Reactions: Daveotto, oli356 and sgtvic
The euro lock thing has been around for donkeys its just people are unaware generally, as I have said before the only way is to inconvenience these cretins.
1.independent PIR lights
2.car alarm that doesn't sound like a digital watch alarm down a well
3.security posts
4.fence/gate

On Monday night where I am temporarily live, alarm went off at 3am which I had installed just a few days ago. I go down thinking it’s a false alarm and see my kitchen cabinets open and my back door open with the key barrel snapped. Luckily they ran off due to my house alarm going off. I supposedly live in a very safe neighbourhood where crime isn’t very common in a town in Leicestershire( not giving any more specific locations). The last breakin on my street according to the neighbours was 28 years ago. They planned it very well as it is not easy to get into my garden they would have to jump over 3 fences. I had fitted anti snap key barrels in the front a few months ago but not in the back because I thought impossible to get in the back. S3 owners please be aware and make sure you have antisnap key barells & door handles with 3 stars and the BS kitemarked stamped on it as snapping a regular key barell is very easy. Also have a house alarm as the alarm is the case my s3 is still on my drive!!

Sorry to hear of the break-in, but good news they didn't take the car.

Never heard of anti-snap barrels before, but will look into them, as they sound good. I generally keep my S3 in the garage, which makes life more difficult for the scummy b******ds. But if they really want it, a garage door won't stop them.

Never heard about blow torch thing but I’m not surprised. If brute force fails start burning things. This is the level of intellect society is dealing with.

That’s getting more and more common.

I have heard of houses being done with the blow torch not far from me.

Cars stolen (I think) were a Golf R, Range Rover, Audi S3, BMW 3 series and a seat Ibiza not far from where I live.

According to my mate who’s area it’s happening in they were coming over from Manchester as two of them were caught after the theft of the Seat Ibiza.

I can only assume the are cutting the entire lock / handle out of the door with the blow torch to get around the Anti Snap locks.

Sorry to hear of the break-in, but good news they didn't take the car.

Never heard of anti-snap barrels before, but will look into them, as they sound good. I generally keep my S3 in the garage, which makes life more difficult for the scummy b******ds. But if they really want it, a garage door won't stop them.

Surprised you haven’t heard of anti snap locks before as it’s well documented the crappy Euro locks can be snapped in seconds.

Have a read up on them.

I’ve upped all my security on the house and I don’t have an S3, really just because we’ve **** all coppers left and there seems to be more and more scum kicking about daily.

That said, regardless of what you, I or anyone else does if they want something they’ll get it if they are persistent and have enough balls.

***** bags.

Are these the same as anti bump locks?
The window salesman who we get ours off was bigging these up when we bought our doors and windows

Yeah if they want it they will have it, can't do the lock then they will just smash a window.

Reactions: Adam14
A year ago......burglar alarm, PIR lighting, good quality locks and CCTV but did not stop one particular gang from getting access through the letter box when the doors were not locked while the house was occupied. Luckily I managed to frighten them off once they were inside the house.

Security been upgraded in several ways since but important message here is if you have security measures make sure you use them and not just when you go to bed

Reactions: S32B and NevMan
Having heard all of these stories I changed all my locks to anti snap, alarm and full cctv coverage for the arrival of my s3. Must be a scary experience, glad they didn’t get your pride and joy

Reactions: NevMan
I sleep with a baseball bat by my bed now and have put a steering lock on my car! I’m just surprised that key barell companies sell something so rubbish and that there is not much awareness on anti snap key barells! Please all change your key barells to antisnap ones with the bs logo on it they are only £30ish from b and q . I don’t want anyone to go through what I have been through and want to make it as hard as possible for the scum!!!

Yes, normal ones are rubbish. I put these 3* BS ones on all my external doors last year.

Glad you and S3 are still ok mate

Just wondering from a car insurance point of view whether you're covered if your car is stolen with the key if it's obtained via burglary / violence / threat of violence

Just wondering from a car insurance point of view whether you're covered if your car is stolen with the key if it's obtained via burglary / violence / threat of violence
Definitely, as long as you’ve not been negligent (leaving keys in car in petrol station, or leaving car unattended and running whilst defrosting on a morning, etc.)

Reactions: AlS3BE, HertS3 and NevMan
Definitely, as long as you’ve not been negligent (leaving keys in car in petrol station, or leaving car unattended and running whilst defrosting on a morning, etc.)

Carefully wording your claim using those words otherwise I’m sure they will try not to pay.

Glad you're ok. You're right, the thought that someone got in your home is horrible, hope you get rid of it. I'm curious however, what the Police has said? I don't think that they can be bothered, isn't it?
I had changed my locks to anti-snap one year ago but never heard of thieves using blowtorches??
The way I see it the country is getting worse day by day. I live in Norfolk and it used to be a very safe area. Now we have knife-point hold-ups, theft upon theft etc. You don't see coppers anywhere unless they man a speed trap and even if you do, 9 out of 10 they are useless.
Thanks!

Glad you're ok. You're right, the thought that someone got in your home is horrible, hope you get rid of it. I'm curious however, what the Police has said? I don't think that they can be bothered, isn't it?
I had changed my locks to anti-snap one year ago but never heard of thieves using blowtorches??
The way I see it the country is getting worse day by day. I live in Norfolk and it used to be a very safe area. Now we have knife-point hold-ups, theft upon theft etc. You don't see coppers anywhere unless they man a speed trap and even if you do, 9 out of 10 they are useless.
Thanks!

And you listen to the news this morning, and people are calling for sentences of less than 6 months to be abolished. Instead said car thief / Burglar will be given a caring arm around them, told they're a very naughty boy, not to do it again, and then made to complete community service.

What f***ing deterrent is that?

Reactions: loftylad and DanZ
And you listen to the news this morning, and people are calling for sentences of less than 6 months to be abolished. Instead said car thief / Burglar will be given a caring arm around them, told they're a very naughty boy, not to do it again, and then made to complete community service.

And that is the reason the country is going down the toilet.

It’s run by pussies who are **** scared of locking scum bags up because they have so called human rights and not to mention there’s also a sob story as to why little Johnny has turned to crime thus making the hard working tax payer who likes nice things suffer because of burglary by these scum bags.

Reactions: loftylad and DanZ
I have had anti snap locks for years now the only down side to them is only a few places do the keys for them and you need the card too I will be putting some in the classification section this weekend as I have just moved house and took the old ones with me.

A simple tip if you do not have a dog , place a “BEWARE OF THE DOG(S) “sign on your gate/Fence /Doors , this is a definite deterrent especially when the signs are indicating that aGerman Shepherd or Doberman live here!!

And that is the reason the country is going down the toilet.

It’s run by pussies who are **** scared of locking scum bags up because they have so called human rights and not to mention there’s also a sob story as to why little Johnny has turned to crime thus making the hard working tax payer who likes nice things suffer because of burglary by these scum bags.
Exactly! Was watching some crap TV one evening and in one of them police shows they were chasing a gang of teenagers which just stole a car. Once caught the coppers said "oh yeah, it's the same gang we caught in a stolen car last night!". WTF?!? They catch them and they let them go... what a joke! The criminals are laughing at us, even if they eventually go to jail they have rights and have xboxes, tv's etc! I wish we had some politicians with some balls!

Reactions: loftylad and wab172uk
Glad they didn’t get your car mate. Exactly the same happened to me last month but unfortunately they got what they were after!

Now upgraded all locks, new alarms, cctv etc. Still far too scared to buy anything remotely ‘nice’ as a replacement even though my insurance have already paid out, especially when this happened down the road from me to a lad I know this week....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....try/masked-men-hold-family-knife-15663055.amp

Really is getting to epidemic point in the West Midlands, and nothing seems to be getting done about it! Police closed the case on my car theft after 3 weeks as I hadn’t provided them with anymore information haha! It’s now the victims job to become a detective!!!

It's because the prisons are overcrowded, so they let the so called lesser crimes get away with it! The answer = Bring back the death sentence and free up prison space!

A simple tip if you do not have a dog , place a “BEWARE OF THE DOG(S) “sign on your gate/Fence /Doors , this is a definite deterrent especially when the signs are indicating that aGerman Shepherd or Doberman live here!!
This works ;) we kept big dogs for years, yet we haven't had a dog for years either! Yet at times I see people when I'm walking to the shops and they say "Still got the dogs, are they alright?" I just reply with "Yeah they're fine thanks". We've even had cold callers come to the door and ask "Are the dogs locked up?" because they've seen the signs, again I say "Oh it's OK they're in the back".

Reactions: Simon Lowe
5 guys to steal a £31k beemer. Not much meat to share around is it. Stolen beemer worth maybe £10k if they strip it.
Maybe I’m just a pussy or just greedy but if I’m gonna go to jail for something it better be for millions not a sh1tty £31k beemer.

That's the problem isn't it, they won't be going to jail because we've no coppers left and even if they were caught they'd do sod all time.

The guy that's had to endure his girlfriends house being robbed/ransacked for his car keys and some jewelry could be doing a life sentence suffering from anxiety and fear of it happening again.

That's the problem isn't it, they won't be going to jail because we've no coppers left and even if they were caught they'd do sod all time.

The guy that's had to endure his girlfriends house being robbed/ransacked for his car keys and some jewelry could be doing a life sentence suffering from anxiety and fear of it happening again.

It’s a sad state of affairs.

i'm getting an s3 soon. absolutely s*****g it...should be looking forward to it, but gangs have tried and failed to steal my neighbours motor 4 times in recents months. just days ago i confronted them in the act and they ran off. :(

i'm getting an s3 soon. absolutely shitting it...should be looking forward to it, but gangs have tried and failed to steal my neighbours motor 4 times in recents months. just days ago i confronted them in the act and they ran off. :(

Poor do if you feel that way, like you say you should be excited about the new motor not ******* it.

This country is quickly becoming a cesspit and the government are doing sod all to fight it.

i'm getting an s3 soon. absolutely shitting it...should be looking forward to it, but gangs have tried and failed to steal my neighbours motor 4 times in recents months. just days ago i confronted them in the act and they ran off. :(

Can’t let these bar stewards win!!
Forget about these thugs and enjoy the car mate.

Sounds like you'll have to sleep in it with a shotgun!!

Reactions: AlS3BE
About 8 years ago, I got a 2year suspended sentence because I caught a scumbag actually in my car trying to hot wire it. He struggled and tried to run off so I gave him a few slaps and punches and knelt on his back whilst my wife called the cops. He then had the nerve to put in a charge of abh to the police which they followed up.
This is what happens when you try to defend your property..... you become the criminal because some do gooder **** has decided all the thieving ******** have more rights than you.