Attempted Theft on my S5

SRB93

S5 B9 Coupe - Glacier White
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to find that at 2:30 in the morning a few guys had pulled up in a car and were using a scanner (could here it in the video) to open my car. Tried to open my Mothers and Fathers car too. I think they attempted to start the car up but failed to do for some reason. Stole an iPhone cable and my Audi Bag for the boot but not my DashCam which I found rather odd. But later that a hour a house down the road was burgled and two cars were stolen unfortunately. Midlands area close to Nuneaton if anyone is interested or knows anything.

Thats not good mate, they managed to open your's I take it? Do you keep your keys close to the door or wall and are your cars on your drive so they know which house to target?

:busted cop:

I assume you have advance key? Good reason to keep the keys some place where they can't be scanned.

Mine live in a biscuit tin..

I assume you have advance key? Good reason to keep the keys some place where they can't be scanned.

Mine live in a biscuit tin..

No, just the standard key, which makes think did I leave it unlocked like a careless idiot. I'm assuming they can still scan for my keys and open the car? Maybe someone who knows more can comment.

Thats not good mate, they managed to open your's I take it? Do you keep your keys close to the door or wall and are your cars on your drive so they know which house to target?

:busted cop:

Keys were in my room which is on the backside of the house, cars on drive yes. I'll get a picture up of them trying my dads car and with my door open. Quality is shocking as it was pitch black and the Ring Doorbell isn't the best CCTV.

No, they can only scan your key to open it if its the advanced key, unless they kinda record you pressing the button to open it.

Reactions: SRB93
No, they can only scan your key to open it if its the advanced key, unless they kinda record you pressing the button to open it.

Well that's good to know, so to be sure. They shouldn't of been able to open my car or start it without me opening it near them?

I suspect the code changes on each use so that shouldn't happen

Reactions: DarkyUK

Apologies for the quality, they should be processed and ready for viewing soon enough.

I suspect the code changes on each use so that shouldn't happen

I've seen some videos of people using HackRF One to record and open, not sure on which vehicles it would work though.

Just in case anyone is interested, this is a video of a VW being opened with HackRF

My lights didn't come on when they opened the door... would that suggest it was previously left unlocked?

My lights didn't come on when they opened the door... would that suggest it was previously left unlocked?

Yes, that would suggest it was already unlocked.

I'm sure most of you have seen the video before but if you excuse some of the comments from the guy presenting this the explanation is pretty good as is the footage from West Midlands Police

Just in case anyone is interested, this is a video of a VW being opened with HackRF

So either VWs don't have a 'rolling code' or the software is able to anticipate what the next one in the sequence is. Rather disappointing if it is the former as my first car had that 20+ years ago.

Videos can be viewed now. (Above in thread)

Videos can be viewed now. (Above in thread)

I can see that there is two of them, can't make out if one of them is walking around the house with a relay device though....

I can see that there is two of them, can't make out if one of them is walking around the house with a relay device though....

Yeah, I think I can see one holding my Audi bag when he tries to open my dads car. (We're obviously investing in better CCTV now)

One word for peopelike this = SCUM.

Glad you, your family & car are OK though :)

You’re car was unlocked already.

Cctv is all well and good but won’t stop it happening. A good house alarm system with driveway monitoring is a better investment. If your burglar alarm goes off it’s head when someone enters your drive, they’re less likely to hang around.

You’re car was unlocked already.

Cctv is all well and good but won’t stop it happening. A good house alarm system with driveway monitoring is a better investment. If your burglar alarm goes off it’s head when someone enters your drive, they’re less likely to hang around.

Stupidity on my half leaving my ****** car unlocked. I’ve got my folks to invest in to a new monitoring system!

Best option in my opinion is rampost. Look them up and get them fitted and use them.

Reactions: Goner
Stupidity on my half leaving my ****** car unlocked. I’ve got my folks to invest in to a new monitoring system!

I’ve done it myself. Jumped in my B8 one morning and wondered why my music wasn’t playing and then discovered all my spare change missing from the ashtray and than my hard drive had been nicked from the AMI tray in the glove box.

Best option in my opinion is rampost. Look them up and get them fitted and use them.

I do really like the look of those telescopic poles, might be difficult to install on my parents driveway though however as its on slight curved slope. Could just ask the guys who would install it.

I’ve done it myself. Jumped in my B8 one morning and wondered why my music wasn’t playing and then discovered all my spare change missing from the ashtray and than my hard drive had been nicked from the AMI tray in the glove box.

If you get out of the car with the engine running the car detects that the key isn't present and flashes an alert on the dash and makes a noise. So why can't they program it so if the key is say 15 ft away from the car and the car is turned off, it locks the doors???

If auto locking was enabled once the keys left the vehicle there is a danger that passengers, or animals, would be locked in and possible unable to extract themselves if safelock lock was enabled. There has been cases where, when one's partners have been driving and they have kept the key on them when changing over the driver. This then would leave that driver trapped in the vehicle.
So this probably isn't a good idea in my opinion. However I think there possibly are ways to enable it with vcds ordb11, I think but don't quote me on it.

Having said that, the majority of thefts from cars are because of them being left unlocked, or/and something of value left inside them. But if a thief wants your car, or something within it then they could well come after you, your partner,or your children for the keys..

I just glance out the window to make sure my mirrors are folded in. If they’re not, my cars not locked.

I just check the audi app 20 times a day to make sure its locked

Reactions: cuke2u

Got two fitted last May, bit of a pain putting them down in the morning and up at night but our cars aren't being driven through them and they are a good deterrent.

I do really like the look of those telescopic poles, might be difficult to install on my parents driveway though however as its on slight curved slope. Could just ask the guys who would install it.

Mines got a slight gradient.. no problem fitting them.. two holes were dug, stabilizing rod was put into the bottom of each posts (they're sunk into the floor around 900mm) then aggregate and concrete post mix was poured in, left to set and realigned my block paving after.

Done!

FYI: https://www.autolok.co.uk/collections/security-posts/products/autolok-heavy-duty-telescopic-post