Attempted theft of my S3

PHutch33

Reaction score
So last night I got home from work around 6.10pm. At around 6.15pm, I received an alert on my phone from my CCTV system that there was motion on my driveway. I opened the video clip it sent me and there is 4 masked guys, hoods etc walking across my driveway. The security light comes on and they try to hide either side of it. They try my front door (porch door with anti snap lock) and realise it's locked. They then look at my car and notice the steering wheel lock on it, before disappearing. On the video clip I have I can hear them muttering something about the locks and saying "F*** it'.

I call the police straight away, tell them what has happened and they dispatch a car straight away. Luckily I live around 5 minutes from a police station. About 6-7 mins later I see the patrol car by my house, doing laps of the cul-de-sac I live in and main road.

Half an hour later, the police call and say they want to come and see the CCTV and find out what happened. When they arrive, it turns out they received another call from a house around half a mile away of an attempted car jacking of a Golf R. A young lady with 2 young kids in the back. Somehow she held them off until the neighbours ran out and scared them off.

This happened in the Sutton Coldfield area of West Midlands.

It goes to show that deterrents do work. I have anti snap locks, steering wheel lock, security lights, CCTV, alarm system and sash jammers on windows. The only thing I don't have is security posts.

However, none of this matters if they are going to car jack you as the poor lady round the corner found out.

Wanted to share my experience to urge you all (especially at this time of year) to up your security and stay vigilant. We all work hard to drive nice cars, yet some people are so brazen they will do anything they can to take it from you.

Reactions: sportback A3, Dunedin, Damo S and 8 others
I have had them locks for a while now and they have saved mine twice now and they tried on Monday at 5:50am

Nice to read a successful security story!

Reactions: Chris.D and JohnM100
I won’t say congratulations because that’s the wrong word but well done on keeping the scumbags at bay.

I have the security posts in front of my black edition and mrs bmw, a bit of a pain putting them down in the morning and up on a night but they help.

I too have all the measures in place that you do, shouldn’t have to do it but it’s the times we live in now.

Bet the golf R driver was shaken up, absolute scumbags even more so targeting a car with nippers in.

Reactions: KenL
Thanks all. Not a nice experience but glad they didn't succeed in taking my pride and joy.

I'm going to look into security posts too.

As for the Golf R, a very lucky escape for the owner and the kids.

Thanks all. Not a nice experience but glad they didn't succeed in taking my pride and joy.

I'm going to look into security posts too.

As for the Golf R, a very lucky escape for the owner and the kids.

Mine are made by Autolok security.

They are concreted approx 600mm deep into the ground.

I seem to recall they cost me £350 fitted for the pair.

Reactions: KenL
Oh god! Please they didn't get your S3. It must have been scary for the Golf R owner too. I bet she fought like hell, given she had her kids in the back.

Was the Golf on her driveway when they tried to car jack it? If so, they'll probably be back for it.

These scumbags need at the very least need castrating, so they can't breed and produce more future scumbags.

Reactions: KenL and Gazwould
Oh god! Please they didn't get your S3. It must have been scary for the Golf R owner too. I bet she fought like hell, given she had her kids in the back.

Was the Golf on her driveway when they tried to car jack it? If so, they'll probably be back for it.

These scumbags need at the very least need castrating, so they can't breed and produce more future scumbags.

The Golf R owner was actually visiting someone on the road where the attempted car jacking happened, so she isn't from that area I believe. Not sure she will be back any time soon...

Stay vigilant everyone.

Us law abiding citizens are a bit screwed.
If it was me I would beat the crap out of them all with baseball bat And end up in jail whereas the crooks would probably get away with a caution for trying to steal.
Poor lass in the golf r, that just isn’t called for especially with kids in the car.
We all need to be a bit more vigilant but also be ready to kick some a55 when we see something like that poor lass in the golf r. I hate seeing bullies pick on women/children/elderly etc.

Reactions: KenL and Scott Goodman
Where abouts was this in Sutton? I live there as well. My mate had an attempt a few weeks ago on his m235. Fortunately they didn’t get it but he sold it. That was Walmley way. Pm me if you don’t mind and don’t want to say on public forum.

Shame the Shelbys aren’t around to sort these scumbags out! I’m not a violent person but would happily like to watch the **** being kicked out of people who do this to other people.

Reactions: Pinky1959, sportback A3, AlS3BE and 2 others
Shame the Shelbys aren’t around to sort these scumbags out! I’m not a violent person but would happily like to watch the **** being kicked out of people who do this to other people.

It really does put you off having a nice car, doesn't it? Work hard, save, then treat yourself to something nice. For what? For some low life scum to come and either break in to your home for the keys. Car jack you, or use violence against you and/or your family, just to get your car.

Yet when caught, the justice system seems not to care. Suspended sentences. Charge sheets as long as your arm. Yet, are back out committing the same offence within days. Yet defend yourself, your family, or your possessions, and these same scumbags become the victims, and normal law abiding people face arrest and charges.

Just look at that old guy who stabbed that burglar? Has never been back to his house due to the risk of being attacked. Risked going to jail for murder. Or manslaughter if he was lucky. Has probably been given a new identity, and had to move away from his friends and family. Why? Because the Burglar had a `Heart of Gold` and his scumbag extended Gypsy family want revenge. They should be allowed to rob and burgle whoever they like, and use violence whenever they like, and no one should stop them, or they'll all gang up on them.

Something needs to change, as unfortunately these people are breading and bringing up their children with the same mindset.

Reactions: S32B, AlS3BE and Goner
It really does put you off having a nice car, doesn't it? Work hard, save, then treat yourself to something nice. For what? For some low life scum to come and either break in to your home for the keys. Car jack you, or use violence against you and/or your family, just to get your car.

Yet when caught, the justice system seems not to care. Suspended sentences. Charge sheets as long as your arm. Yet, are back out committing the same offence within days. Yet defend yourself, your family, or your possessions, and these same scumbags become the victims, and normal law abiding people face arrest and charges.

Just look at that old guy who stabbed that burglar? Has never been back to his house due to the risk of being attacked. Risked going to jail for murder. Or manslaughter if he was lucky. Has probably been given a new identity, and had to move away from his friends and family. Why? Because the Burglar had a `Heart of Gold` and his scumbag extended Gypsy family want revenge. They should be allowed to rob and burgle whoever they like, and use violence whenever they like, and no one should stop them, or they'll all gang up on them.

Something needs to change, as unfortunately these people are breading and bringing up their children with the same mindset.

My thoughts exactly.

If I lived in certain areas of the country I wouldn’t chose to own a S3, Golf R, 140 etc, they seem to be the gangs car of choice.

Reactions: S32B
wab172uk said:
unfortunately these people are breading and bringing up their children with the same mindset.
Like you say, scum breed scum! We had an agency guy working for us a few months back, you could tell what he was like from the off! He got called out of work because his son had been caught shoplifting and had punched the security guard, he was telling everyone about it and laughing!!! It was like a badge of honour to him :blink: Needless to say he wasn't asked to come back.

Yep it does/has.
If I lived in certain areas of the country I wouldn’t chose to own a S3, Golf R, 140 etc, they seem to be the gangs car of choice.
It can happen everywhere mate, I'm 99% sure I had a close call when I was in Scotland a few years back. We came back to the car after a long walk and there was a car parked right next to me in a big remote empty car park!!! As we got closer I noticed a guy sitting in the driver's seat, something didn't feel right at all, so I told the wife to wait where we were whilst I went to the car. As soon as the guy saw me he looked shocked and picked up his phone! I got in the car asap, drove to the wife and told her just to get in, as we drove out of the car park a BMW with two guys in it came flying in!!! Both looked at me as they went passed, I looked in my mirror and they spun it around and came after me! They sat about 50 yards behind, I'd slow down and they would, I'd speed up and they would! I eventually caught up with another car, so waited until we were close to a right hand bend marked with twisty roads for X miles, knocked it down and booted past the car in front not giving the BMW time to do the same, drove like I'd stolen the car until I was happy I'd lost the BMW.

I'm sure if we'd been another few minutes we would have found them stealing the car! It has put me off getting another high performance car to be honest, I just think what could of happened, the three blokes could have kicked the sh** out of me, raped the wife and then took the car...I just think is it worth the risk? If anything happened to the wife because of a car I'd never forgive myself.

Reactions: pburv
It can happen everywhere mate, I'm 99% sure I had a close call when I was in Scotland a few years back. We came back to the car after a long walk and there was a car parked right next to me in a big remote empty car park!!! As we got closer I noticed a guy sitting in the driver's seat, something didn't feel right at all, so I told the wife to wait where we were whilst I went to the car. As soon as the guy saw me he looked shocked and picked up his phone! I got in the car asap, drove to the wife and told her just to get in, as we drove out of the car park a BMW with two guys in it came flying in!!! Both looked at me as they went passed, I looked in my mirror and they spun it around and came after me! They sat about 50 yards behind, I'd slow down and they would, I'd speed up and they would! I eventually caught up with another car, so waited until we were close to a right hand bend marked with twisty roads for X miles, knocked it down and booted past the car in front not giving the BMW time to do the same, drove like I'd stolen the car until I was happy I'd lost the BMW.

I'm sure if we'd been another few minutes we would have found them stealing the car! It has put me off getting another high performance car to be honest, I just think what could of happened, the three blokes could have kicked the sh** out of me, raped the wife and then took the car...I just think is it worth the risk? If anything happened to the wife because of a car I'd never forgive myself.

I got followed in my then R8 by a Golf R years ago. This was about 12:30 in the morning. Car was parked up. 2 or 3 up and as I passed them (they all looked) heading onto a dual carriageway, they suddenly switched their lights on, and started following me. I sped up, so did they. I slowed down, so did they. I indicated to come off, so did they. I didn't come off, and kept on going, so did they.

I looked at my fuel gauge, it wasn't great, so started to think of the best way to lose them. by this time they pulled along side and were staring in. Brilliant. a little dab of the brakes and they were in front. Just where I wanted them, as a roundabout was looming. Go go left, you'd end up committed to another dual carriageway. I indicated left, so did they, and I committed us both to the turn off. Right at the last second, when they were past the barrier, I swapped lane. I saw their brake lights light up, and as I passed on the right, I saw the driver looking. I shot over the roundabout onto another (empty) stretch of dual carriage way, and absolutely went for it (just in-case they reversed) to the next roundabout. No way would they have caught up from there. Got back home, tucked it back in the garage, and then I couldn't help thinking how lucky I was that they'd got in front just at the right time for me. If they'd held back, I'm sure they would have kept following till I needed to stop for fuel. Then god know what would have happened then.

To be fair though, I'd have probably been on the phone to the police. But if I'd never spotted them following in the first place .........

Scary

Just to continue this thread, had an attempted theft of my S3 8v last night in Boldmere - Sutton Coldfield.

Two guys in tracksuits, gloves and masks. Threw a massive rock through the window at the front of the house. We’re in for less than 20 seconds. Ran off with nothing.

House is protected by CCTV, house alarm and anti snap locks, didn’t think they would just go through the front window!

Reactions: voorhees
Like you say, scum breed scum! We had an agency guy working for us a few months back, you could tell what he was like from the off! He got called out of work because his son had been caught shoplifting and had punched the security guard, he was telling everyone about it and laughing!!! It was like a badge of honour to him :blink: Needless to say he wasn't asked to come back.

Yep it does/has.

Yeh absolutely can be taken anywhere but there are some high risk areas. I never felt unsafe with mine in the South West, just had to ignore chavs looking for a race in it.

Yeh absolutely can be taken anywhere but there are some high risk areas. I never felt unsafe with mine in the South West, just had to ignore chavs looking for a race in it.
I remember taking my S3 down to the SW around Port Isaac area, omg how I never lost a mirror, some of those tight country lanes and the locals don't slow down!!! :p

Reactions: TYb
Deterrents do work people,I always hark on about them so good on you mate.

Just waiting for the 'if they really want it they will get it' post :whistle2:

Deterrents do work people,I always hark on about them so good on you mate.

Just waiting for the 'if they really want it they will get it' post :whistle2:

We’re got CCTV, alarm, antisnap locks, all worked great till they chucked a brick through the double glassing. You’ve got to admire the balls on them really!

We’re got CCTV, alarm, antisnap locks, all worked great till they chucked a brick through the double glassing. You’ve got to admire the balls on them really!

I'd rather admire the blood soaked footprints on the floor as they ran off due to the glass slicing their artery open.

Reactions: Goner, Bristle Hound, CHEZ and 1 other person
I'd rather admire the blood soaked footprints on the floor as they ran off due to the glass slicing their artery open.
Watch and smile :D Justice :)

Reactions: Peto, Fatbloke, AllanG and 6 others
Smashing the window is absolutely crazy, especially with all the deterrents obviously on show.

The sentences these cretins get are a joke- that is why they have no concerns about doing whatever it takes to get your car. They truly will stop at nothing.

Seems to be getting worse if anything. Hyundai I30 (and not the N) for me next :0/

Within in the last three weeks two Fiesta ST's have gone missing from work car parks where I work and where my Mrs works, it looks like they're incredibly easy to pinch, even without keys. I saw the CCTV footage on the one which got taken in broad daylight from my works car park, two lads parked next to it in a Freelander, one lad got out and quickly smashed the window, got in it and it looked like he pluged something in to the OBD port, started it and sodded off...….what was really funny is that they nearly bumped in to each other on the way out.

Similar sketch at my Mrs place of work but they just had some kind of fob, no need to smash the window in that instance.

To me though its clear that both cars had been followed, its not like the cars were in plain view from a road.

Same for the Golf Clubsport which got taken near me, tucked away down a quiet road, behind conifers and a gate...that's the scary thing IMO, we're pretty much going to be stalked at some point.....so drive like a loon all the time so they cant follow you! (ONLY KIDDIN! DRIVE SENSIBLY)

Seems to be getting worse if anything. Hyundai I30 (and not the N) for me next :0/

Within in the last three weeks two Fiesta ST's have gone missing from work car parks where I work and where my Mrs works, it looks like they're incredibly easy to pinch, even without keys. I saw the CCTV footage on the one which got taken in broad daylight from my works car park, two lads parked next to it in a Freelander, one lad got out and quickly smashed the window, got in it and it looked like he pluged something in to the OBD port, started it and sodded off...….what was really funny is that they nearly bumped in to each other on the way out.

Similar sketch at my Mrs place of work but they just had some kind of fob, no need to smash the window in that instance.

To me though its clear that both cars had been followed, its not like the cars were in plain view from a road.

Same for the Golf Clubsport which got taken near me, tucked away down a quiet road, behind conifers and a gate...that's the scary thing IMO, we're pretty much going to be stalked at some point.....so drive like a loon all the time so they cant follow you! (ONLY KIDDIN! DRIVE SENSIBLY)

The Fiesta ST's. plug some devise into the ODB port, and it copies the key. Once copied (within seconds) then press the starter button, and off they go.

I've seen people adding metal plates over the ODB port, and fitting locking nuts. Still doesn't stop your window getting smashed, but at least they might run off if the can't quickly plug into the port.

My brother has an ST (second one, first got nicked within less than 3 weeks of him buying it!), invested in fake OBD port etc

My brother has an ST (second one, first got nicked within less than 3 weeks of him buying it!), invested in fake OBD port etc

was there not a post on here about a fake obd port and wiring a live feed to one of the pins to fry whatever device they are using to clone keys. Even wire up a huge capacitor to make sure their dodgy devices blow up properly. Definitely something to look into.

I've seen a few YouTube posts regarding extending the OBD port, so the original position is a `Fake`.

But there are only so many places you can hide the new OBD position. It'll probably take the 10-15 seconds to find it, then away they go.

Hopefully as we're leaving the EU, our cars won't have to then comply with EU law regarding these OBD ports. It's like the EU want your car to be stolen?

I've seen a few YouTube posts regarding extending the OBD port, so the original position is a `Fake`.

But there are only so many places you can hide the new OBD position. It'll probably take the 10-15 seconds to find it, then away they go.

Hopefully as we're leaving the EU, our cars won't have to then comply with EU law regarding these OBD ports. It's like the EU want your car to be stolen?

Tougher sentences would help to stop it, non of this pratting about with joke sentences because little johnny is a full timer carer for his dying great grandmother on his dads brothers side of the family etc.

The defense teams are as bent as the criminals, the whole justice system from being nicked to being banged up is a joke (or not as often is the case).

was there not a post on here about a fake obd port and wiring a live feed to one of the pins to fry whatever device they are using to clone keys. Even wire up a huge capacitor to make sure their dodgy devices blow up properly. Definitely something to look into.
Moving the port is actually a good solution, I have done it to my last 2 cars, Not sure they can be found in 10-15 seconds, when my car went to an indy for a service he couldn't find it after searching for it (To update service schedule) and he had all time and space he needed ( a thief is in a rush) I actually had a job to get to it to plug in his OBD and I knew where it was.