Attempted Burglary Last Night!!!

daver555

Reaction score
They didn't get further than ripping the side gate off it's hinges as they woke us up making a racket but I'm now paranoid they're after my A3! This sort of thing has never happened to us before and the Police said they can't remember the last burglary/theft in this area as it's a very quiet place and everyone knows eachother and gets on. Tonight is going to be interesting trying to get some sleep! If only you could hire Dobbermans/Rottweilers for a few nights :whistle2: What would you guys do in this situation!?!

find some way to disable it so if they try and steal it they will be there for hours pondering what to do and give up such as unplug the afm and coil packs etc or something similar,also get a big hairy spider and chuck it in the car every night with a python haha

Take all wheel nuts off but 1, and keep that one loose. Lol. No I agree remove coil pack or something

The law seems to be more relaxed with regard to trespassing these days if you know what I mean :aggressive:

Will removing 1 coil pack disable it completely or will it just go into limp mode and they could still potentially drive away with it? Will removing the coilpack and then plugging it back in tomorrow morning do anything to the ECU? Yep, electrics are not my thing ;)

unplugging one will make it drive lumpy,i would unplug all six and no,as long as you plug them back in you will have no codes and the car will be fine ;)

don't let it get to your head. they know the owner/area will now be extra vigilant and they wont come back (unless they are retarded)

nothing much you can do, but

-make sure the car is locked all the time and remove all valuables from the car
-be aware of unknown cars parked or driving around your area repeatedly/aimlessly
-make sure your insurance papers are in order
-lock valuables in the house (jewellery, spare key etc)
-debate as to whether to leave the car key in an obvious place to avoid confrontation. bottom line -never endanger yourself
-tell the neighbours to keep an eye/ear (do the same for them)
-make sure your house keys aren't left under the mat/plant etc

you cant control what thieves do and this is what makes us feel insecure but you can make their life harder with little effort on your part

They won't be back again tonight - it's too obvious !!!

Glad they didn't get anything though. Take a wheel off and put the locking bolt back in tight so they can't put another wheel on.

Just a thought and good luck !! :yes:

I have experiance of this,I made a wooden sidegate with no handle and the hinges on the inside also no way of climbing over.Maybe they could but if you make it a hinderance they'll go for an easier option elsewhere.Security lights put them off also

sorry to hear about this mate , at the end of the day if they really want your car they will get it and if that means holding a knife or something to your family or your throat you have to ask yourself is it really worth it for a car its a machine it can replaced poeple's lives cant we can only try and make there job harder to get hold of keys/car

Cheers for all the advice guys. The whole street was aware of what happened last night after our 2 immediate neighbours spread the word. Like I said we all know eachother well and just knowing that they've all got our back is a huge relief! Going to remove the coil packs in a mo after I've sunk a few beers to try and calm down ;)

This sort of thing dont half P*SS me off!:aggressive:
Ive had 2 cars stolen and 1 car jacked sort of! was in a petrol station filling up my washer bottle, when before i could lift the bonnet fully the car roared into life and ran me over! was an M3 BMW!

if your car like mine has the DSG box i think there is a main fuse for the box?? remove it and your A3 is going nowhere!

If not id sleep in it with a baseball bat in hope they try again!!!!:gun2:

Don't use a baseball bat unless you can prove you actually play baseball!

Golf clubs are fine..................:asskicking:

Never overestimate the intelligence of these thieving scumbags...

I would just make sure your keys are in a very safe place, and (if possible) block your car in with another vehicle, which would deter them from trying to steal it. Also get PIR lights if you haven't got them already, as suggested above.

Don't the SPS boxes have an option of a security feature that stops you going anywhere even if you have the key? That way you can leave your key in an obvious place (and avoid any confrontation if they do break in to your house), but they'll be going nowhere without the SPS box.

Hey bud If you local you can have my Rottie for a day or so and believe me they wont even dare come close to your house! lol
Your options are you either fit a bright sensor flood light or a BEWARE OF THE DOG sign to keep them scumbags out!!

Never overestimate the intelligence of these thieving scumbags...

I would just make sure your keys are in a very safe place, and (if possible) block your car in with another vehicle, which would deter them from trying to steal it. Also get PIR lights if you haven't got them already, as suggested above.

+1 to that. Block the car in, PIR lights & a (reasonable looking) fake camera might help you rest easier fella - they don't cost much...

Glad they didn't get anything though. Take a wheel off and put the locking bolt back in tight so they can't put another wheel on.

Just a thought and good luck !! :yes:

Had a simular thing happen to me many years ago.Called the police and they said there was nothing they could do.

They also told me they would be back within a day or so to try again.Sat up at for 2 nights with a mate and guess what the thick ***** did come back,but to their suprise we were waiting.Never had anymore problems after that-Result!

Don't use a baseball bat unless you can prove you actually play baseball!

Golf clubs are fine..................:asskicking:

I keep the handle from a 2 tonne jack next to my bed. Its weighty and has one of those nasty lugs pertruding from the side. I can prove I own the full jack, axle stands and chocks.

forget the coil pack crap keep it simple, disconnect the battery, if there as thick as 2 short planks they wont think about that bit

Make your own breaker, connect inline to the starter motor and hide in the dash, that way to don't have to disconnect battery, loosing stereo settings etc plus your not seen playing with your car once you've locked it. Car can still be jumped but they'd probably think it was an immob.

Cheers Kai

Maybe they wernt after your car and it was just some drunks messing about? Usually when failed break in attempts happen round my end people decide to vandalise whatever it is they were trying to steal...

Scumbags! Need stringing up!

After getting my new car yesterday this worries me. All on street parking where I live, I was twitching at every sound last night! lol That said, it is well lit and outside my house. A couple of cars have been damaged for parts in our street in recent months.

I'll be on the look out.

Hope all goes well for the OP.

Cheers

I wouldnt bother messing with your car in anyway, it's just hastle when you need to actually use it.

Several options are availible.

1) Dog, maybe a bit extreme if you only want one for protection of your car lol
2) Fake CCTV cam and a sign next to it, always looks legit.
3) Beware of dog sign on gate and front window.
4) Security spot light rigged so that anyone that enters your drive way set it off, will **** anyone up and they wouldnt bother continuing.

Just a thought but i spoke to an old lady recently and she said someone tried to steal her metal gates the other night as metal prices are up so are your gates big jobbies? ps my dog likes unwanted visitors!

had this before with people after my bikes had no garage to put bikes so they were locked in rear garden all i could do is lock gate i also installed 3 500 watt security lights above bike place lit up like wembley when triggered never had return visit after that. security bollard is good suggestion also.

got a cheap battery powered pir from ebay with a wireless chime after i chased a scumbag out of my wifes motor last friday. was £33 inc post, works a treat and no false alarms either.

was a bit sceptical, as it looks a bit tacky in the packaging but it works a treatand at least its stopped me prowling the house all night

all the best

jon