Attemped car theft? Towing eye cover removed!!

Mikey

Reaction score
Noticed this morning when I parked at work that my front bumper towing eye was hanging loose. It was fine last night because I went out with the missus and it was all intact then. So it must of happened on my driveway at home. I reversed the car onto the drive so the front of the car was facing the road (corner of a quiet avenue). Am I right in saying these towing eye covers dont just work they way loose do they? I remember trying to remove it once to clear up some deposits of wax and struggled like hell to take it off. So would you call this an attempted theft of my car onto a trailer?? I do recall on monday morning being woken at 3am by the sound of a car being ragged around and handbraked in the distance and I was worried about my car when I heard this. We dont live in a rough area, I know car theft happens everywhere. Bit worrying.

Yup, its given me a huge wake up call and I am doing some immediate security actions NOW.

dont worry about it, they can worl lose and im pretty sure if somebody was trying to steal your car they couldnt be handbraking and making a racket.

maybe someone was just trying to nick the cover i think your being paranoid because if toed off your alarm would kick off for one also to tow the car even on a flat back the would have to smash your window snap the steering lock handbrake off its to much trouble when they could just rush your house and take your keys off you i wouldn't worry about that I'm sure there's a different explanation to the toe cover ...

Noticed this morning when I parked at work that my front bumper towing eye was hanging loose. It was fine last night because I went out with the missus and it was all intact then. So it must of happened on my driveway at home. I reversed the car onto the drive so the front of the car was facing the road (corner of a quiet avenue). Am I right in saying these towing eye covers dont just work they way loose do they? I remember trying to remove it once to clear up some deposits of wax and struggled like hell to take it off. So would you call this an attempted theft of my car onto a trailer?? I do recall on monday morning being woken at 3am by the sound of a car being ragged around and handbraked in the distance and I was worried about my car when I heard this. We dont live in a rough area, I know car theft happens everywhere. Bit worrying.

maybe they got rumbled before they moved my car? maybe they realised my car was too low to put on a trailer?! haha. I dunno. Maybe I am being paranoid but it has given a kick up the as5 to now shut the huge iron gates and lock them. Lazy old me doesnt bother becuase they are a pain in the as5, but on the flip side they are a good as they are very strong, big, and noisey and it makes it a bit harder for the pikeys.

heh im half paddy you ****** ...no but on a serious note it would be much easyer to come in your house for the keys... at night towing would be way to noisy serious i dont think anyone would try that its so thick ....they would come in your house like they did mine and take the keys there even trying all double glazin doors day or night as most people leeve em unlocked big mistake get them locks on ...just make sure your house alarm is on i didnt have one at the time was gutted woke up audi gone and most of my stuff down stairs ps3 6 oz gold chain camcorders they had a good raze outa me il be ready next time though....

maybe they got rumbled before they moved my car? maybe they realised my car was too low to put on a trailer?! haha. I dunno. Maybe I am being paranoid but it has given a kick up the as5 to now shut the huge iron gates and lock them. Lazy old me doesnt bother becuase they are a pain in the as5, but on the flip side they are a good as they are very strong, big, and noisey and it makes it a bit harder for the pikeys.

I use to have a prelude and they stuck it on a flat bed and got off with it but it were automatic :S I think they might have lifted and taken it - dont think they would have used the towing eye....

Or probs someone lightly bumped into the front of your car knocking the tow eye cover out?

Could be a fair few things but shut those gates and get a johnsons american bulldog (like me) :p

Mines still a pup but doubt anyone will come in if they see one of these :p

steelcity_american_bulldog.jpg

hav you looked carefully for screwdriver marks on it? They wouldn't be as careful are you at popping it out.

Er I have found my towing eye cover popped out before. It just fell out!

Er I have found my towing eye cover popped out before. It just fell out!

I hope this is the case with me. Just maybe being paranoid as in the past I have struggled to remove it by hand to remove wax deposits, and hearing a car being joy rided a few days ago didnt help!!

I think you're probably being a little paranoid but it doesn't hurt to just be a little more cautious.

A few weeks ago my PIR driveway light stopped working so I replaced the bulb. Whilst doing mine, I noticed that my neighbours had also stopped working. A couple of nights later (after replacing the bulb and adjusting the PIR) I discovered that the PIR had been redirected to the floor so it wouldn't pick anything up. Only had the A3 for a couple of months so I was very paranoid!!