ASN.net images copyright hosting policy

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea what is the forum pictures hosting policy?

Contacted admins via "contact us" link and sent some messages to @Sandra but had no luck as of yet.

Sent from H P20 PRO

We host the images on the forum. Have done this for a while. We still have restrictions on size till we finish with other things we working on.

Reactions: KrisKrk
We host the images on the forum. Have done this for a while. We still have restrictions on size till we finish with other things we working on.
Thank you Sandra.
How does the policy look like as for the ownership of them?

Seller on eBay have used my vehicle pictures uploaded to asn.net to sell the car part, without my permission so want to know if they ever needed any.

Not only that, my reg is visible there also and probably gps location from picture details.
I know, if I would drive around the globe, I would make my plate visible but not everyone would probably took note of it.

Want to take things further on a legal way but need to know if have any grounds.
eBay took my side as it is agains't their policy to use third party pictures and I am in process of reporting seller and ads for copyright and unlawful picture use.

Sent from H P20 PRO

I had the same with a Facebook group. My understanding is that you own the copyright of the photos regardless of where you post them.

I had the same with a Facebook group. My understanding is that you own the copyright of the photos regardless of where you post them.
Cheers for that.
I really hope that is the case.

Not that I have a proof of that but heard that, pictures uploaded to facebook, become their property and they have copyrights to them.
Hence my questions if asn.net would do such thing but want to make sure and would appreciate admins input.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Cheers for that.
I really hope that is the case.

Not that I have a proof of that but heard that, pictures uploaded to facebook, become their property and they have copyrights to them.
Hence my questions if asn.net would do such thing but want to make sure and would appreciate admins input.

Sent from H P20 PRO

When I had the issue I found a FB page with a form for specifically reporting copyright infringement and photos were listed amongst the intellectual property being reported. I went through it but after messaging the culprit he agreed to take it down.

I haven’t read the ASN policy in years, but by posting most forums are granted a limited licence so they can host and display the picture you upload (assuming you don’t use a 3rd party host like Flickr) but you retain the copyright.

I advertised my previous car on AutoTrader and got an email from someone who had seen my advert lifted (including pics) and put on Gumtree. A complaint/infringement notice to GumTree (ie the host of the copy advert) and that ad was taken down within an hour.

Facebook automatically strips EXIF/GPS data from images. @Sandra - can that be done when ASN hosting, given the value of what many people are photographing?

Last edited:
I messaged the guy in anger and still am angry about the whole thing but it shouldnt've had happened.

It is like, someone is making money out of you and 1. you are not aware of it, 2. you have nothing out of it.
If he want to list it with my vehicle pictures, please do so but ask me first, meet my t&c's and pay me my part.

After my initial email with threats of court cases and lawsuit, he messages me back to prove to him my ownership of the car by sending V5 snap.
I have politely explained that, this is not a proof of ownership and sent him screenshot of road tax confirmation email. Covered sensitive info but showed my name and reg No.
He have access to my details on eBay so he can compare.

What a b@st@rd !

Sent from H P20 PRO

I haven’t read the ASN policy in years, but by posting most forums are granted a limited licence so they can host and display the picture you upload (assuming you don’t use a 3rd party host like Flickr) but you retain the copyright.

Facebook automatically strips EXIF/GPS data from images. @Sandra - can that be done when ASN hosting, given the value of what many people are photographing?
I know one member who is also a site sponsor, as he does car gizmo installs and retrofits (everyone knows him, right?), and he take pictures of customers vehicles after work done.
He said to me once, he ALWAYS remove gps info from pictures (most of the jobs are done at he's address) and cover reg No. for data protection.

Not everyone does that.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: JohnM100
I messaged the guy in anger and still am angry about the whole thing but it shouldnt've had happened.

It is like, someone is making money out of you and 1. you are not aware of it, 2. you have nothing out of it.
If he want to list it with my vehicle pictures, please do so but ask me first, meet my t&c's and pay me my part.

After my initial email with threats of court cases and lawsuit, he messages me back to prove to him my ownership of the car by sending V5 snap.
I have politely explained that, this is not a proof of ownership and sent him screenshot of road tax confirmation email. Covered sensitive info but showed my name and reg No.
He have access to my details on eBay so he can compare.

What a b@st@rd !

Sent from H P20 PRO

Limited value complaining to the person. You need to complain to the company hosting their advert.

Limited value complaining to the person. You need to complain to the company hosting their advert.
Done. eBay is going to ... warn him and take listings down.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Facebook/instagram etc if you upload a picture they own the copyright in perpetuity and technically could sue you if you use the picture elsewhere without their permission. I would expect any forum would have similar wording in their policies.

Facebook/instagram etc if you upload a picture they own the copyright in perpetuity and technically could sue you if you use the picture elsewhere without their permission. I would expect any forum would have similar wording in their policies.

I'm sorry but that's simply not the case.

Even Facebook themselves clarify that this isn't the case.

Facebook   photos belong to you

You are correct, copyright remains with the person that took the picture, however by uploading it (and depending on your sharing settings) you grant a royalty free permission for Facebook to use the images however they like including for commercial gain So long as the image or any shared copy of it remains on their platform. So even if you delete an image if it has been shared publicly and is on someone else’s page they can still use it however they like.

“3. The permissions you give us

We need certain permissions from you to provide our services:

Permission to use content you create and share: You own the content you create and
share on Facebook and the other Facebook Products you use, and nothing in these
Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your
content with anyone else, wherever you want. To provide our services, though, we need
you to give us some legal permissions to use that content.

Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual
property rights (like photos or videos) on or in connection with our Products, you grant
us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to
host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create
derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings).
This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Facebook, you give us permission
to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as
service providers that support our service or other Facebook Products you use.

You can end this license any time by deleting your content or account. You should know
that, for technical reasons, content you delete may persist for a limited period of time in
backup copies (though it will not be visible to other users). In addition, content you delete
may continue to appear if you have shared it with others and they have not deleted it.”