Asking for a bit of guidance and advice

Simon16

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

Looking to buy a new(er) A3 than what I already have, however could do with a bit of help and opinions.
I currently have a 2004 8P1 2.0 TDIwith FSH with 141k on the clock, VGC internally and body wise and feels like it has only done 40k! It runs very well however I am wanting rid ASAP as I dont want to be left in the total mire if the head starts becoming porous.
I estimate I will get at least 3k p/x as I paid 4500 last February and now I know a lot more about the A3, thanks to this forum, looking for something ideally 2008 ish with a budget of £10,000.
I would like as higher spec as possible and as new as possible (wouldnt we all!) but getting a lot of options to choose from on A/T and beyond.

My first question is how strongly would you recommend getting it from Approved Used at Audi? Would they even look twice at my current car given they wouldnt sell it and would probably just auction it off?

Also I am torn between the 170 and 140, I know there have been all sorts of problems with DPF and injectors on the 170 but I really would like that extra oomph as the 140's arent as quick as they could be. I know I could remap but I would rather have a better unit to start with.

Finally there are some high miler 8P3's that come into my budget but are they really worth the white DIS etc and on the new diesels do you need to pay so much attention to the miles as long as they have been looked after?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

1. used approved Audis are always giong to be more money then getting it privately. though you will get warranty with it but i guess it comes down to what you are after. a high spec car for a decent price or a average car for the same price with warranty??
also some of those used ones are just there as someone has P/X it in and then audi dealer has just cleaned it up and put it back on the forecourt without checking it through properly

2. get the 140, and then get a decent map on it... the 170s have injector issues as well as the DPFs which are really annoying, not saying that they are all bad but a 140 with a map will go to 175 average so not bad at all.

3. you konw that when a car is maintained the mileage doesnt really matter (you own a high mileage diesel which is still going well), again i guess its personal preference and how you can deal with it. if you are happy having a car that has been driven alot for its age and has full service history then whats to worry about?
I like to know the history a of a car... thats one thing you never find out with a dealership.

thats just my opinons on the matter though

1. used approved Audis are always giong to be more money then getting it privately. though you will get warranty with it but i guess it comes down to what you are after. a high spec car for a decent price or a average car for the same price with warranty??also some of those used ones are just there as someone has P/X it in and then audi dealer has just cleaned it up and put it back on the forecourt without checking it through properly2. get the 140, and then get a decent map on it... the 170s have injector issues as well as the DPFs which are really annoying, not saying that they are all bad but a 140 with a map will go to 175 average so not bad at all.3. you konw that when a car is maintained the mileage doesnt really matter (you own a high mileage diesel which is still going well), again i guess its personal preference and how you can deal with it. if you are happy having a car that has been driven alot for its age and has full service history then whats to worry about?I like to know the history a of a car... thats one thing you never find out with a dealership.thats just my opinons on the matter though
Thanks for your reply mate, I guess you are right about the 170, would a 140 internals be able take the boost in power? I would probably look for something with at least sub 80k miles on as I don't want to end up with sticky turbo vanesI guess also things can be retrofitted like auto wipers, lights and cruise?

Hello Pal,
well to start with I own a 1.6tdi 2011 Audi a3 really wanted a 2 litre but could not get insured on it as I am only 21 well 20 when I purchased the vehicle... HOWEVER, recently my car went into Audi for some work that needed doing and they gave me an A3 170ps OMG amazingggg like 2nd gear!?!? I was flying LOVED it... But heard toooooo many bad things about it I.E. injectors DPF etc... Best bet is get a 140ps and map it which has been mentioned!
regarding Audi approved vehicles I would deffffo get an approved one: why? Well I've had my car since October 2011 and she's gone in sooooooooo many times for things like electrics,doors etc all minor but would of cost a bit if I was to take it to an garage and if it was out of warranty. I think the next car I purchase will HAVE to be a brand new one!
i had a Toyota Yaris before my A3 purchased it for about 3grand... Audi offered me £400 in August only had like 60000 on the clock! Got rid of the car on auto trader for about 2grand!
All the best...
let us know how it goes!

the added bonus of going for the 170 diesel is you get bigger brakes too :)

Hello Pal,
well to start with I own a 1.6tdi 2011 Audi a3 really wanted a 2 litre but could not get insured on it as I am only 21 well 20 when I purchased the vehicle... HOWEVER, recently my car went into Audi for some work that needed doing and they gave me an A3 170ps OMG amazingggg like 2nd gear!?!? I was flying LOVED it... But heard toooooo many bad things about it I.E. injectors DPF etc... Best bet is get a 140ps and map it which has been mentioned!
regarding Audi approved vehicles I would deffffo get an approved one: why? Well I've had my car since October 2011 and she's gone in sooooooooo many times for things like electrics,doors etc all minor but would of cost a bit if I was to take it to an garage and if it was out of warranty. I think the next car I purchase will HAVE to be a brand new one!
i had a Toyota Yaris before my A3 purchased it for about 3grand... Audi offered me £400 in August only had like 60000 on the clock! Got rid of the car on auto trader for about 2grand!
All the best...
let us know how it goes!

Hey mate, cheers for your reply, interesting that you have the 1.6 now, insurance isn't really an issue for me I defo want the 2.0 but yea like you say skeptical about the problems, I know the 170 is pretty rapid but I think a 140 with a shark map should be suffice.
Fair comment about the Audi part ex that is ****** shocking!, I would rather get a decent part ex price and maybe know the history of the car. I don't want to **** about selling privately, it took me months to shift my fiesta before I got my Audi.

Hey mate, cheers for your reply, interesting that you have the 1.6 now, insurance isn't really an issue for me I defo want the 2.0 but yea like you say skeptical about the problems, I know the 170 is pretty rapid but I think a 140 with a shark map should be suffice.
Fair comment about the Audi part ex that is ****** shocking!, I would rather get a decent part ex price and maybe know the history of the car. I don't want to **** about selling privately, it took me months to shift my fiesta before I got my Audi.

Audi are like them adverts you see on the TV "we buy your house" "quick quid" etc, if you NEEEEEED the cash they will buy your car and laugh at you thinking what a ****ING bargain!! I would put your car up for sale ASAP! At a decent price hopefully should go!!
All the best!

I got a 140 with remap, clutch, and full exhaust amongst some other bits, I think it feels pretty rapid lol mate with a 170 sport back has been p****d on a few times :p... Until he starts modding I suppose!

Will they take your old car? Of course they will. They took my 115k 8L S3, and it was not very well looked after at any point in it's life. Interior was pretty much spotless, apart from the driver's seat recliner not working (just the electronics, think the wire got trapped and broke), but mehcanically it was needing a proper going over, and about £1500 spent on it too. They gave me more than I would have been after privately (admittedly, they gave me almost nothing off the new car though), and the added warranty of buying approved does give you a fair bit of peace of mind. Mind you, start modding and most of that warrant goes out the window.

Reactions: Artimus
In the end it all boils down to what you want. Both cars are very capable TDI's. The 170 is quick as standard and responds very well to a remap to just over 200bhp but is prone to the dreaded DPF problems. So if your going down this route then you may aswell go for Stage 1 remap and DPF delete which would give you approx 215bhp. The 140 after a remap will give you about 180 bhp. As stated before in other threads figures aren't the be all and end all. Its how it drives and overall reliability after a remap and I can guarantee you which ever one you go for you wont be disappointed. Both will make you smile.

It depends on how older 140 you get, my 140 has a dpf but they changed the fuel system in them but not sure what year roughly 2010 I would say to common rail not sure if these cause the same problems as the older 170 hth.