Ashtray woes....

Dubturbo

VW Golf mk2 20VT / Audi A3 1.6 Sport
Reaction score
I've heard that this is a bit of a known problem, but I had no luck with a search! Last week I was retrieving some change from the front ashtray, but when I went to close it again (which I always do gingerly because I heard they were troublesome!) it refused to catch, and would be permanently open now if I hadn't jammed it shut with some rubber bungs from my old Concert head unit :D

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've had a poke around, but there's no visual evidence of anything broken.

I've heard that this is a bit of a known problem, but I had no luck with a search! Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've had a poke around, but there's no visual evidence of anything broken.

Yes I had the same problem on my old 1.8T. It would fly open if I braked hard. I think it was just a bad design and I ended up buying a new one from Audi.

give it love!!! lol. really really slowly, like you would lift a ladies boob!!!

Ahh but you can't wait all night to close your ashtray...what if it gets a headache :laugh:

Yes I had the same problem on my old 1.8T. It would fly open if I braked hard. I think it was just a bad design and I ended up buying a new one from Audi.

That's what I was afraid of. No point in buying another for it to do the same thing! the SEAT Leon has a similar dash, maybe a SEAT part would be an improvement?

i find to solve the problem to open it press it in and the catch will release and it opens and when shutting speed isnt an issue if you put your hand on the bottom side and lift it up for me its fine if i do it that way.