Ashtray delete/non-smoker tray retrofit - Pic heavy

so just noticed another poster has by the looks of it the same light but it is mounted on top of the trim to hold it in place. Is this the mistake I am making and I don't need the additional cover with the lense cover

img_0031-jpg.37126

Great guide, Very useful.

Need to get this ordered and fitted, Thank you.

just done the lighter and ashtray mod on my 2007 8p2 s-line Q

didn't so the light bar too but may do at some point.

great guide and advice on parts :rockwoot:

Why could nobody tell me. Finally sorted my light today after taking it all apart again. Took me about an hour to figure out it slides in from the direction of the bulkhead and the air con unit defo has to come out to do it.

Just need to do footwell lights mod now

Are the part numbers the same for a3 with a single din stereo? Also what is the part number for the ambient lighting panel

i just made a custom ashtray delete kit after reading this thread, i used an acrlylic plate, bent it with heat and wrapped it with some foamy letherette (i was looking for something grippy and rubber like, but thats what i found) and its working amazingly, literally spent like 3 dollars and 1 hour :)

i'm super happy on how it turned out.

if anyone wants to try the 'home made' ashtray delete, i'll kindly draw a PDF template to cut the acrylic
btw, sorry for the crappy picture its really hard to notice

Attachments

• IMG_8658.JPG
    IMG_8658.JPG
    808.3 KB · Views: 414
I've just put the ashtray delete in my 06 sport back with single din stereo!

You only need to remove the gear selector trim, grab handles and trim underneath the ac control panel and it drops right in!

Also if you want the ambient light panel the wiring from the ashtray light just reaches around to the upper panel!

I've just ordered the panel and led strip light and will be fitting it later this week so I'll update with some pics and part numbers when it's all complete

Many thanks for this guide, I'm about to order the parts for this as the ashtray is just a bulky waste of space. It'll be my first mod and I have to say looking at the pictures, taking it all apart and putting it all back together again is a little daunting!

Many thanks for this guide, I'm about to order the parts for this as the ashtray is just a bulky waste of space. It'll be my first mod and I have to say looking at the pictures, taking it all apart and putting it all back together again is a little daunting!

It isn't really. Don't forget to Yank hard at the air con controls. I felt like I was going to break mine, but it comes out with force.

Reactions: az87aris
Thanks to those who contributed to this thread - my parts arrived today (thanks @mjr901); the ciggy lighter with flap is already fitted. Just put fingers into the original one, pull backwards and it popped out. The tray and light will be the weekends tasks.
Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 390
Hello! I want to make this mod and add the ambient light too. The right part number for the led strip is 8P0857355 but on ebay all I can find is 8E0857355 and the sellers claim this to fit on A4 instead of A3. They don't seem to have any functionality difference tho. Just the little black plastic is longer on 8E.
Is it safe to buy it? Thanks in advance!!!
Led

Hello! I want to make this mod and add the ambient light too. The right part number for the led strip is 8P0857355 but on ebay all I can find is 8E0857355 and the sellers claim this to fit on A4 instead of A3. They don't seem to have any functionality difference tho. Just the little black plastic is longer on 8E.
Is it safe to buy it? Thanks in advance!!!
View attachment 204700

From memory this part was about £8 from Audi - give them a try first.

just ordered the ashtray delete . wanted to order the ambient light too but the computer at tps said no lol it said not for this car?? were the lights only on certain years ?
mine is a 2004 a3 8p 3dr

I’ve a 55 plate Sportback and had the ambient light kit factory fitted along with a whole load of other options, rare I think though as there are red LED’s everywhere

Hi! I've ordered the items and I'm about to make this mod soon! Question; is to possible to make it without removing the triangles and what should I do?
Thanks in advance!!!

Hi! I've ordered the items and I'm about to make this mod soon! Question; is to possible to make it without removing the triangles and what should I do?
Thanks in advance!!!

Remove the triangles, makes the job easier. Also remove the climate control unit as you’ll need this out to fit the led light bar. You’ll be able to feed the power from the ciggy lighter up to the light bar. It’s a ****** tight fit but it will.

Reactions: Audream
I can't see this pics in this but did find some useful looking ones here:

Giving it a try this weekend.
Didn't go well. Couldn't find how to get at the two grab handle bolts under the air con. Followed this guide, the one linked above and the RS4 starter post linked at the top of this thread https://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net/rs4startbutton

My problem is that I can't get the tray under the aircon out, it seems fixed in place and I can't find any clip to release it, it seems firmly fixed in position. What have I missed?

IMG 3229 1

Didn't go well. Couldn't find how to get at the two grab handle bolts under the air con. Followed this guide, the one linked above and the RS4 starter post linked at the top of this thread https://audiretrofit.quinlivan.net/rs4startbutton

My problem is that I can't get the tray under the aircon out, it seems fixed in place and I can't find any clip to release it, it seems firmly fixed in position. What have I missed?
Got there in the end this afternoon. It was a picture from this thread that showed me where the front grab handle bolts were (my highlighting):

Inked20180929 184632 LI

Reminds me why I leave this sort of thing to the professionals usually. Had blu-tac as recommended to make sure I didn't drop bolts putting them back in - dropped one taking it out. And the torx bit fell out of my cheapo driver extension bar screwing the new tray back in.

its all good. many have been there just like you. magnetic tips are your friend
Putting this on the Amazon Christmas wish list:
to go with the mini ratchet I bought to do this job.

Reactions: tcardio
Is there anywhere online I can order these parts. I live on a scottish island so popping along to Audi isnt very convenient!

Is there anywhere online I can order these parts. I live on a scottish island so popping along to Audi isnt very convenient!
Audi Zentrum Flensburg. You can order parts there (ask in a mail). Shipping is 15 euro for Europe