Ashtray delete illumination help

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
so I removed my centre console and I'm currently trying to work out how to get my new cubby hole illuminated. The plastic trim with the window obviously just clips up but the light bar itself doesn't want to fit inside. Can anyone who's done this tell me how they did it?

Attachments

• IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    898.2 KB · Views: 1,350
It does fit mate, it merely rests on the trim and that trim clips onto the HVAC unit underneath. You have the light the right way round from your picture. Getting it to clip into place was the hardest bit

It does fit mate, it merely rests on the trim and that trim clips onto the HVAC unit underneath. You have the light the right way round from your picture. Getting it to clip into place was the hardest bit
The light bar sits in the trim pictured right?No matter what way I put it, the connector on the light bar interferes.

It does go mate honest. I've removed mine from my S3 and refitted in my RS3 and it does go. I take it you've used the feed from the ashtray with the OEM connector/patch cables to fit into the strip light?

yeah I'm going to use that alright. I just can't figure it out. The trim physically won't clip in with the light bar sitting in it

Right give me 5 mins and I'll pull mine out to have a look. I'll take some pics

Reactions: Matt268uk
Can u post few pictures from finished mod i am thinking of doing this ashtray is useless...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Can u post few pictures from finished mod i am thinking of doing this ashtray is useless...

Haven't got an image of mine with it lit up so here's one online
c8934645e5d626ad789e8d9969e4cd42.jpg

Here's the one on mine
6cf30fc55f0a24f1efcd283a24fd646f.jpg

Random question sorry but you guys who have wrapped your gear surround: Did you remove the chrome trim before wrapping or just trim up to it?
Thanks

Random question sorry but you guys who have wrapped your gear surround: Did you remove the chrome trim before wrapping or just trim up to it?
Thanks

Pull the centre section out (DSG) and just wrap the surround. I had mine hydrodipped in carbon

So lightbar can be installed even without removal of ashtray...

So lightbar can be installed even without removal of ashtray...

On my 09A3 ad 61S3 the lightbar could be fitted with the ashtray however I did mine as part of the ashtray delete. You just need to pop out the climate control and the lightbar slides into a little slot at the back, you'll need to remove the hazard switches to get climate control put. I was then able to thread the plug which powers the ashtray light back and connect it to the lightbar. I did have a piece of plastic trim (a curved piece) at the top of the ashtray which would have blocked any light had I kept the ashtray in.

I have all the part numbers for the tray, lighbar, diffuser etc - I'll post later tonight.

I got a full guide for you here: http://www.lightnings.dk/ashtray_en.html

If anyone got a picture of the led fitted I would be happy to add it in my guide as I never figured it out. Even had help from a full time retrofit dude who also gave up.

So happy with my new mods. Illuminated cubby hole, flappy lid over 12v socket and cup holder instead of retarded card holder

Attachments

• IMG_1293.JPG
    IMG_1293.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,094
Reactions: derekw
Hi

Have you got a guide to taking off the climate control unit please?

Once hand triangles are removed, Centre (hazard button) section has been pulled off then you push down on the climate unit (down towards ashtray/tray) and then it pulls out.

As above post says do exactly that but i recommend plastic trim tool or very small flat headed screw driver place it in the slot on top off CC and gently push down and it will part where u will hopefully see little spring clip , if you remove Screwdriver and push on clip it will release and do on other side and hay presto it comes out .
Now once it is out and if you have the cash here is a very nice retrofit if you have heated seats ( on Ebay 252985623178 ) and the full instructions on fitting with pics is on the site and it looks cool just ask any the lads who have done it

Last edited:
IMG 8627
Once hand triangles are removed, Centre (hazard button) section has been pulled off then you push down on the climate unit (down towards ashtray/tray) and then it pulls out.
As above post says do exactly that but i recommend plastic trim tool or very small flat headed screw driver place it in the slot on top off CC and gently push down and it will part where u will hopefully see little spring clip , if you remove Screwdriver and push on clip it will release and do on other side and hay presto it comes out .
Now once it is out and if you have the cash here is a very nice retrofit if you have heated seats ( on Ebay 252985623178 ) and the full instructions on fitting with pics is on the site and it looks cool just ask any the lads who have done it

I don't have heated seats.
Hears my climate control which I do want to upgrade but everyone says the wirings difficult
Are we talking about the same CC spots?
Also. Does the Hazard section easily pop out?
A video link would be nice if someone has 1?

Attachments

• IMG_8618.PNG
    IMG_8618.PNG
    490.1 KB · Views: 1,192
Last edited:
Have you searched YouTube?

Yours is easy to remove - do you have some trim removal tools (search Amazon).

Take your CC out and post some pictures of the back.

It looks very different so can’t confirm if a retrofit will work - yours looks more mechanical but it may be possible.

Last edited:
Have you searched YouTube?

Yours is easy to remove - do you have some trim removal tools (search Amazon).

Take your CC out and post some pictures of the back.

It looks very different so can’t confirm if a retrofit will work - yours looks more mechanical but it may be possible.
Yes, most of the YouTube ones have a different CC to mine n the videos show the head unit out which seems like I don't have to do. I'll search again with different search words.

I will need to buy some trim opening tools. Any recommendations? I'm guessing a multipack...

Yes, most of the YouTube ones have a different CC to mine n the videos show the head unit out which seems like I don't have to do. I'll search again with different search words.

I will need to buy some trim opening tools. Any recommendations? I'm guessing a multipack...
You will find heaps off triming tools on Ebay cheap enough . The sliver surround around the hazard switch will come away with a very thin flat head screw driver and then you can pop hazard button out that way you should be able to use flat Screw driver to gently press down on the head off CC and it should drop a bit then do same other side , once it hss dropped a bit it should be away from clips so gently using your hand push down and inwards until its in your hand .
Behind it there should be some plugs going into it mark them and gently pull out until all clear and therr you have it

Great, thanks for all your advice thus far.
See pics attached.
Still need to take the bolts on each side of the triangles. Assuming that's with an Allen key right?

Forgot to take a pic on the underside of the CC unit to confirm the LED fittings will fit/slide in...

So Samuel... will it be easy to fit the wires on this to the CC unit I was talking about before???

Attachments

• IMG_8639.JPG
    IMG_8639.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 870
  • IMG_8641.JPG
    IMG_8641.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_8643.JPG
    IMG_8643.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_8640.JPG
    IMG_8640.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 792
  • IMG_8642.JPG
    IMG_8642.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 1,334
Hmm, I don’t know to be honest. The model you’re looking at has 4 plugs so I guess there would be an amount of rewriting needed. Where are you based? There is a couple of retro fitters in here who would be able to give a simple yes or no.

Can someone write down exact tool needed to unscrew two bolts that are holding triangles under cc they arent visible that much...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Can someone write down exact tool needed to unscrew two bolts that are holding triangles under cc they arent visible that much...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If i mind you will need a set off Allen keys as you need one to go up the triangle ( grab handles ) to unscrew it , the screw wont fall out off grab handle

Hmm, I don’t know to be honest. The model you’re looking at has 4 plugs so I guess there would be an amount of rewriting needed. Where are you based? There is a couple of retro fitters in here who would be able to give a simple yes or no.[/QUOTE

Leeds, West Yorkshire.

btw guys, Audi main dealers sell the tray for £13.81!

Reactions: samuelh_888 and Daveyonthemove
Hmm, I don’t know to be honest. The model you’re looking at has 4 plugs so I guess there would be an amount of rewriting needed. Where are you based? There is a couple of retro fitters in here who would be able to give a simple yes or no.
Anyone to confirm this????

So that brings me to the question... Will the LED bar lights etc fit on my CC!?

See pics attached!

Attachments

• IMG_8650.JPG
    IMG_8650.JPG
    671.6 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG_8651.JPG
    IMG_8651.JPG
    693.5 KB · Views: 718
Someone did this on the following link and said; Don't think I'll be going this
''Complete dash has to be removed to be able to fit the new parts & all wiring looms, plus degas, coolant drop & refill, plus sensors in each airvent, it's not a quick job."

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...ol-module-switches.146018/page-2#post-3261521

P.S. Do you know if the CC unit dials themselves can be replaced? Surely someone would've replaced these before!?
I'd like something like the headlight dial...

Attachments

• IMG_8655.JPG
    IMG_8655.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 865
  • IMG_8654.JPG
    IMG_8654.JPG
    961.2 KB · Views: 834