As current A3/S3 owners, what are the must have/nice to have/not needed options?

sagaris99

Reaction score
Hello

Looking at an S3 in the next few months, test drove on on Wednesday - fell in love

Would be looking used, about a year old, c.10k miles

I’ve identified that for me, must haves are
Leather interior
Digital cockpit
Mag ride
Metallic paint, love Nardo Grey
Upgraded stereo, either Bose or B&O

Nice to have
Black edition
Sunroof
Super sports seats

What options am I missing, or should I consider?

What does the Black edition and tech pack add?

Is the B&O system much better than Bose?

Are LED lights standard... and what’s the difference between them and matrix?

Are there any options that I should avoid?

Sorry for all the questions, I tried asking the sales guy to explain and got confused :blink:

Cheers!

Most options are what they say they are except magnetic dampers which are a expensive option on the Sportback as 19" alloys are required but magnetic dampers are standard on the S3 saloon
Nardo Grey is a no cost paint option only for the RS3
Nano grey is the paint option on the A3/S3
Led headlights are standard
Matrix headlights are £895 option which utilise the extra multiple high beam lenses, matrix lights also have cascading front indicators, standard led lights have the flashing indicators

Reactions: sagaris99
It's hard to say since I would say everything in my signature is a must have BUT 3 things I couldn't live without: VC, B&O & Advanced Key.

I have black edition, tech pack and folding mirrors. B&o used to be a separate option but it’s part of the black edition now as far as I know.
Only thing is b&o is a must cause I spend too much time in traffic. The rest I can live without.

Now towards the end of its life the s3 is pretty well specd (compared to 4 years ago anyway)

Musts which is has as standard;

Leather
Heated seats
Led interior and exterior packs
Led lights and sweeping indicators
Parking sensors (an option until my18 I believe)
Google maps overlay and Audi connect (standard) and free yearly extensions

I think black edition is worth it as with increased residuals so monthlies barely change and b&o is brilliant. Had Bose in 2 other Audi’s and b&o in wife’s tt but this is the first time I’ve not thought it to be a waste of cash.

Having had virtual cockpit twice before I won’t pay for it anymore now novelty has worn off. Nice if free but not worth having to add tech pack to get it

It's hard to say since I would say everything in my signature is a must have BUT 3 things I couldn't live without: VC, B&O & Advanced Key.

I find these threads genuinely interesting, I have none of the above three and wouldn't pay for them.
I don't like leather and think the alcantara seats are nicer (if lacking a little support).
Panoramic roof is a con when compared to other manufactures, call it a sunroof.
Just need a good motor, good stereo.privacy glass and a 5yr warranty...........simples :)

The standard reverse warning system is very basic (on some/all models). Just rear sensors and an audible warning with basic system. Need Parking system Plus to get any kind of graphic display (and front sensors). Was also surprised that power folding mirrors are an option on some/all? models.

I find these threads genuinely interesting, I have none of the above three and wouldn't pay for them.
I don't like leather and think the alcantara seats are nicer (if lacking a little support).
Panoramic roof is a con when compared to other manufactures, call it a sunroof.
Just need a good motor, good stereo.privacy glass and a 5yr warranty...........simples :)
What other car manufacturer offers a better pano-roof in a car the size of the A3
It's not a con at all
Just because you went basic spec doesn't mean others have to.... It's also known as "Fredom of Choice"

Since you want the digital cockpit (audi calls it Virtual Cockpit afaik), you'll have to purchase the tech pack advanced along with it which I think is a must have. Comfort package is really useful too which includes the B&O sound system, heated seats, folding wing mirrors etc (I'm not sure if some of those are standard on S3, they're included in comfort package on A3 though I think). I've heard good reviews about the super sport seats, they're probably worth getting.

I think parking system plus is a good one which will include front and rear sensors, along with rear view camera.

I really like the dynamic sweeping indicators, but I think you need to purchase the matrix light package for those which is quite expensive. I think I read from @jassyo06 a while ago that whilst the matrix package is good, it's not really worth the money (correct me if I'm wrong about that though).

Oh, privacy (tinted) glass is nice too. Although it's not really a must-have, and you can easily get that added to your car from somebody else

I dont think you mention it, but i feel that the S-Tronic is a must. Depends on your driving or preference but i doubt i would go back to a regular manual now. Iv currently got a Fiesta manual on hire, stuck in traffic for an hour this morning killed my leg, cant believe i didnt change sooner but maybe im just weak!!

VC for sure, also advanced key. Advanced key is a possibly a lazy option but iv really missed it this week. So many times iv got in to the Fiesta, looked for a while how to start it and remembered i need to put the key in!! Rear view camera is a good shout, although the S3 is a small car with good visability so maybe you wont need it, if its cheap then get it! Iv got the Audi sound system, 1 step up from basic, 1 step lower than B&O, never thought it would make a difference to the basic system but i was so wrong. Not heard the B&O system but if its the smae leap from basic to the Audi system then it will be great.

Get privacy glass now if you think you may want it in the future. You can do it after but it never looks right.

Since you want the digital cockpit (audi calls it Virtual Cockpit afaik), you'll have to purchase the tech pack advanced along with it which I think is a must have. Comfort package is really useful too which includes the B&O sound system, heated seats, folding wing mirrors etc (I'm not sure if some of those are standard on S3, they're included in comfort package on A3 though I think). I've heard good reviews about the super sport seats, they're probably worth getting.

I think parking system plus is a good one which will include front and rear sensors, along with rear view camera.

I really like the dynamic sweeping indicators, but I think you need to purchase the matrix light package for those which is quite expensive. I think I read from @jassyo06 a while ago that whilst the matrix package is good, it's not really worth the money (correct me if I'm wrong about that though).

Oh, privacy (tinted) glass is nice too. Although it's not really a must-have, and you can easily get that added to your car from somebody else

He's buying used mate so still expensive but nowhere as much new and the rear view camera is a stand alone option which doesn't give a true image of what's behind you as the image is vertically crushed to accomodate the image of the front and rear sensors

Reactions: Kondax
On an S3, Super Sports seats are a must. Lift the interior and makes it more sporty. Should be standard TBH.

Also extended leather. Makes the cabin look better as more leather, less plastic.

I have B&O on mine, so can't comment on standard system. But B&O is excellent.

Reactions: JimmyMcGee and TYb
He's buying used mate so still expensive but nowhere as much new and the rear view camera is a stand alone option which doesn't give a true image of what's behind you as the image is vertically crushed to accomodate the image of the front and rear sensors
Ah yeah completely missed that! Good point

Reactions: Jassyo06

Parking System plus (on some /all models?) comes with front and rear sensors and the graphic parking display uses them. The rear view camera system is an additional option.

B&O is must if you like your music, standard system is shocking.

Super sports are a must for the S3, only thing the really sets it apart from a standard A3 sline.

Reactions: TYb, wab172uk, Kondax and 1 other person
What changed for that to happen?

The front and rear senors graphic overlay aint transparent anymore,instead they've crushed the screen vertically to squeeze in a black background for the front/rear sensors graphics on the side of the screen..and doing distorts the image/ area your reversig into, making the displayed image very inaccurate waste of £350
So the rear view camera on the face lift cars is guff,my Mrs wee fiesta rear camera is ****** brilliant it fills up the full 8-5 inch screen

I don't have any options and don't need any!

I would probably like a better music system even though the standard one is decent.

l have had the Bang&Olufsen in 2 cars not convinced its worth it but l like the leds...lol,my mum has the Audi sound system in her Black Ed A1 and it sounds really good....

I'd go for VC, privacy glass and pan roof. All a must have for me...if you can stretch you payments a bit then B&O and the SS Seats are definitely worth it.

As soon as I started the S3 on my test drive I noticed how high quality the sound system was with the B&O optioned

I don't have any options and don't need any!

I would probably like a better music system even though the standard one is decent.
Yer not missing out out on much

I have almost all the options apart from keyless/drivers assist pack, keyless was left out intentionally dont trust it,dont need driver nanny aids had them all on a previous car

Options l wouldnt have again..none love them all....makes me keep the car far longer and keeps it right up to date and that was my intention 4 year car instead of chopping it in early

you will find it hard getting a basic list on the colour in the condition you would like- I found this out shopping for mine with a very healthy budget. there will be a compromise on something.

my MUST list was black paint and non black pack ( mainly as my last A3 Sline had the black edition with rotas on ibis and wanted the complete opposite) and a decent set up.. and NOT keyless entry.

I viewed a brilliant black with mag ride.. and it had nothing else! I walked away and 3 weeks later I found a panther black very well specced with sports seats which at the time I wasn't that fussed about- but i'm glad I have them! they look and feel amazing and after viewing full leather it was a nice change to see.. I also loved the mag ride alloys and sourced them after getting the car.

I also had front and rear parking sensors on the last car- when shopping for the s3 I noticed most on the market at the time had rear sensors only. not a bad driver and rarely use them but I do like the complete set rather than just half.
IMG 0749

Musts:
Parking system plus
Folding wing mirrors
Tinted windows
B&O stereo
Widescreen display

Everything else would be nice to have

Mine has lots of other options, and a £1200 paint option of suzuka grey (thankfully I did not pay for this). But all of this fails in comparison to just driving it :)