SQ5 Arriving soon - 10 days and counting down - to a place near me...

Have to say these 21-inch x 9J ET35 rims with 265/40/R21 (Continental TS860S) winter rubber provides a much better ride/grip than does/did the OEM 20-inch 8.5J ET33 S-Line wheels with 255/45/R20 (Dunlop SP Winter Sport) rubber and/or the OEM 21-inch 8.5J ET33 rims with 255/40 R21 (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT) summer rubber.

These Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV rubber-rings await evaluation - but still on 9J ET35 rims (not 8.5J ET 33 rims)

OK, so I/we have the 034 ARB but otherwise OEM shocks and springs; but still while running 31/27psi the tyre wear remains 'even' across the tread

GREAT car the 2016 AUDI SQ5; for us difficult to fault, does everything for us, and for sure ZERO faults as yet

:racer:

Reactions: paul wev
And soon it'll be time to BLOW the cobwebs of the RS3 (and TT) - every day is another day closer...

Stop buying/wanting new stuff, run what you've already got... :racer:

Please excuse the bucket: and that fabulous AUDI A2 that morphed into an AUDI A1 and then a 2016 AUDI SQ5 - but for sure the AUDI RS3 is a keeper...

Last edited:
Reactions: -Ju-
So just to confirm, do you.like your SQ5 then John.....not sure if you mentioned it or not? Hahaha

Reactions: Jcbmally and 45bvtc
I get it Ju, I TRULY get it...

Reactions: Jcbmally
How's the other love of your life doing.......All is as well as can be I hope?

Reactions: 45bvtc
So just to confirm, do you.like your SQ5 then John.....not sure if you mentioned it or not? Hahaha

Ha Ha, 'I DO!!'

I do hope you are MISSING!!!!!! yours, BIG TIME!!!!: but hope you are enjoying the RSQ3, truly...

Found Judith playing this (BLUEY) video earlier, Ju, and thought "oh yes!" I get it, the noise, whatever, and everything else and wishing/fingers crossed this coming Monday, the 22nd, is dry enough for me to want to take the RS3 on a hospital run without getting the darn thing salted up (that;'s what the SQ5 is for...)

But yes, of 'our' 3-old cars, the SQ5 wins hands down...

Last edited:
Ha Ha, 'I DO!!'

I do hope you are MISSING!!!!!! yours, BIG TIME!!!!: but hope you are enjoying the RSQ3, truly...

Found Judith playing this (BLUEY) video earlier, Ju, and thought "oh yes!" I get it, the noise, whatever, and everything else and wishing/fingers crossed this coming Monday, the 22nd, is dry enough for me to want to take the RS3 on a hospital run without getting the darn thing salted up (that;'s what the SQ5 is for...)

But yes, of 'our' 3-old cars, the SQ5 wins hands down...
I miss it sometimes but out of the 2 the RSQ3 is a better fit and I just love everything about it even the greenness (is that a word!) lol
Its the best of both worlds!

How's the other love of your life doing.......All is as well as can be I hope?

Difficult! Judith off chemotherapy since December last! CT scans say 'stable' but 'increasing in size'! Not sure how that works!! So PICC flush each week, a CT scan as and when, and a nephrostomy tube change (Royal Stoke) soon

Both had the oxford-astrazenica jabs 2-weeks ago but Judith still 'shielded' - OK with that...

Otherwise honkeydorey!! and washing the cars as often as possible if only to stay +tve

If I get bored over the next few weeks I can see a set of MTEC drilled brake discs going on the SQ5, finger hovering over the "order now" button as I write.... :racer::superman:

Reactions: -Ju- and Jcbmally
I miss it sometimes but out of the 2 the RSQ3 is a better fit and I just love everything about it even the greenness (is that a word!) lol
Its the best of both worlds!

I DO get it, both are sensational and if, and I don't have to, choosing between an RS3 and an SQ5 I may well fall in love with an RSQ3. However, having had 2-years with an SQ5 and in that time done less than 200-miles in the RS3 I'm thinking that the facts speak for themselves.

I find 'hammering' the RS3 - while entertaining - not suitable for our needs.

BUT, the SQ5 makes me (and her) laugh, laugh, laugh - and for sure the weapon of choice for our needs.

PLUS, an SUV just should not behave on the roads (with a playful 75-year old (76 is coming FAST)) like our 2016 BiTDi SQ5 does!!!! LOVE it!!! :superman:

Most of that is double Dutch to me John, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both.
Hopefully Helen will get her jab in the next run and I will be eligible too as her unpaid carer. She's only 48 so would otherwise be waiting a while.
I know someone who's just passed with covid at 37...its crazy!
I'm looking at the kinetix drilled rear discs for mine. I have the redstuff pads ready to go on the back....fronts already done.

Most of that is double Dutch to me John, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you both.
Hopefully Helen will get her jab in the next run and I will be eligible too as her unpaid carer. She's only 48 so would otherwise be waiting a while.
I'm looking at the kinetix drilled rear discs for mine. I have the redstuff pads ready to go on the back....fronts already done.

Tis heavy, Ju, but we are where we are. Fingers crossed for you and yours. Judith (RS3copilot) just been told to continue 'shielding' and who know how long that'll go on for! Take care, stay safe, everyone...

And Go Buy a 2016 AUDI Bi-TDi SQ5 - crazy/mega/fun machine... :racer:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally and alanyork

It sure is CRAZY, this COVID-***** needs to be taken seriously! We had the oxford-astrazenica mid-day on the Wednesday; a slight headache for both of us the following day. Me, however, had the 'chills' later that same day, not Judith. Grabbed a fleece jacket and that was me sorted - otherwise no further issues. Second jab(s) already booked for April 24th. If that's what it takes then I/we're all for it.

Take care, stay safe everyone...

Reactions: -Ju-, Jcbmally and alanyork
Have to say these 21-inch x 9J ET35 rims with 265/40/R21 (Continental TS860S) winter rubber provides a much better ride/grip than does/did the OEM 20-inch 8.5J ET33 S-Line wheels with 255/45/R20 (Dunlop SP Winter Sport) rubber and/or the OEM 21-inch 8.5J ET33 rims with 255/40 R21 (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT) summer rubber.

These Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV rubber-rings await evaluation - but still on 9J ET35 rims (not 8.5J ET 33 rims)

OK, so I/we have the 034 ARB but otherwise OEM shocks and springs; but still while running 31/27psi the tyre wear remains 'even' across the tread

GREAT car the 2016 AUDI SQ5; for us difficult to fault, does everything for us, and for sure ZERO faults as yet

:racer:
You’d think the 45 profile would have been better, got to admit the SQ5 does tick all the boxes John, still looks very modern, ageing well.
And soon it'll be time to BLOW the cobwebs of the RS3 (and TT) - every day is another day closer...

Stop buying/wanting new stuff, run what you've already got... :racer:

Please excuse the bucket: and that fabulous AUDI A2 that morphed into an AUDI A1 and then a 2016 AUDI SQ5 - but for sure the AUDI RS3 is a keeper...

The way the new cars are going my next car will be a return to the older fold. Modern cars just don’t have that “feeling”. The Cupra I have is a very good car but I’m always hankering for my old 8V S3.
I can only see the RS starting to get rarer and climbing in price.
Nice motors mate. :thumbs up:

It sure is CRAZY, this COVID-***** needs to be taken seriously! We had the oxford-astrazenica mid-day on the Wednesday; a slight headache for both of us the following day. Me, however, had the 'chills' later that same day, not Judith. Grabbed a fleece jacket and that was me sorted - otherwise no further issues. Second jab(s) already booked for April 24th. If that's what it takes then I/we're all for it.

Take care, stay safe everyone...
You too John, stay safe and our best to you both.

Must admit @45bvtc and @-Ju- SUV’s that go like stink are a hoot.

Reactions: 45bvtc and -Ju-
You’d think the 45 profile would have been better...

I think a combination of the 9J rim and the 265/40 21 Continental TS860S winter rubber, Steve; I also run tyre pressures at 31/27 psi. It'll be interesting to see how these 'same-size' Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres run/ride (sometime in late March). For sure these Rotors are a darn sight easier than the twin-spokes to wash and keep clean... :racer:

1) MTEC discs 'drilled only' on order Ju. Front and rear (black coating) for £267.98 delivered

2) Just found a 2016 (pdf) Pricing and Specification Brochure for the RSQ3, download here:

RSQ3 guide

1) MTEC discs 'drilled only' on order Ju. Front and rear (black coating) for £267.98 delivered

2) Just found a 2016 (pdf) Pricing and Specification Brochure for the RSQ3, download here:

View attachment 215991
Thanks but I've already got the hard copy that I bought to research pre buying the RSQ3:icon thumright:

The MTEC stopper beasties @ £267 inc have landed:

Stopper beasties

380mm diameter fronts and 330mm diameter rears - to be fitted next week with a FRESH set of Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads - an interesting evaluation as for sure the OEM discs with Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads have proved astonishingly good for 'our' typical road use

Reactions: blackwood, Jcbmally, SteveMcB and 1 other person
The MTEC stopper beasties @ £267 inc have landed:

380mm diameter fronts and 330mm diameter rears - to be fitted next week with a FRESH set of Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads - an interesting evaluation as for sure the OEM discs with Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads have proved astonishingly good for 'our' typical road use

Do you have a link for the discs John? Also wondering if the metal's black all the way through or is it a coating that wears off?

Do you have a link for the discs John? Also wondering if the metal's black all the way through or is it a coating that wears off?
Thats the question I wanted to ask but was scared it was a dumb question haha

Reactions: SteveMcB and 45bvtc

Just a surface coating Steve though excellent as I already have MTEC (but silver coated) on the rear of the RS3 so know of their long-life; I'll fit 'em next week (Wednesday) so can send photos then once bedded in, but 100% confidence.

Link here: https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/audi/sq5-8r-2012/sq5-3-0-bitdi-335bhp-09-15-12-17.html

My order: MTEC order

RS3 rears: MTEC REDSTUFF 1 and bedded in: RS3 MTEC

Last edited:
Reactions: Leebroath, Jcbmally and SteveMcB

I know it sounds daft thinking the metal could be solid black but thought a coating that wears off would maybe contaminate the pads :)

Thanks for the link John, coincidentally mine got serviced and MOTd yesterday and the mechanic mentioned the discs were slightly pitted with rust (lack of use, less than 3k since last MOT) and put a scare into me by saying that if it needed new discs he could only source genuine fronts at something like £800 :wtf:.

Thankfully it passed and a few good applications tidied them up. Probably need to get some soon though so these are on the list. Look forward to seeing how yours bed in:icon thumright:

Reactions: 45bvtc and -Ju-
I know it sounds daft thinking the metal could be solid black but thought a coating that wears off would maybe contaminate the pads :)

I know, I thought exactly the same lol

Reactions: 45bvtc and SteveMcB
Thanks for the link John, coincidentally mine got serviced and MOTd yesterday and the mechanic mentioned the discs were slightly pitted with rust (lack of use, less than 3k since last MOT) and put a scare into me by saying that if it needed new discs he could only source genuine fronts at something like £800 :wtf:.

Worth considering Pro-Cut, Steve, see: https://brakelathe.co.uk/

and: https://skimmydiscs.co.uk/your-nearest-service-centre

Then see post #150 earlier in this thread where I had ours done - all four for £250 - and superb they still are

Pro Cut front disc

PS: going the MTEC route just for evaluation and fun and to kill the COVID boredom by doing something different... :racer:

Last edited:
Reactions: blackwood, Jcbmally and SteveMcB

Sad to hear of another passing, it sure is tough...

Initial friction surface clean-up completed:

IMG 20210305 WA0004

Reactions: Deze2014, Jcbmally, SteveMcB and 1 other person
Initial friction surface clean-up completed:

Bedding in nicely @ 300-miles and the low-speed and high-speed 'bite' just amazingly good:

SQ5 MTEC Fronts

SQ5 MTEC Rears

Oh, and I sold the original brakes discs and matching 10% worn Ferodo Eco-Friction Green brake pads on eBay for £200 in 5-days flat - happy days... :thumbs up:

Reactions: Deze2014 and Jcbmally
  • Haha
Hello i am just deciding whether to go for the mtec rotor discs for the front of my car 380mm x36mm iv read some horrors on google reviews, whats your assessment on these? Did they warp,did they rust with the protective coating? And ultimately does it have good stopping performance?

Hello i am just deciding whether to go for the mtec rotor discs for the front of my car 380mm x36mm iv read some horrors on google reviews, whats your assessment on these? Did they warp,did they rust with the protective coating? And ultimately does it have good stopping performance?
#1) "did they warp?" - no but early days
#2) "did they rust with the protective coating?" - no and I'll sort 'em if they ever do!
#3) "does it have good stopping performance?" - yes and way better than OEM or for sure they'd no longer be on my car...

Mega happy and totally content, Deze2014, with these MTEC discs and Eco-Friction pads - as shown here with the SQ5 now on summer rotors:

SQUIFFY on summer rotors

And mega happy with these 9J rotors too - though I do prefer the looks of the black 'winter-rubber' rotors... :racer:

Reactions: blackwood, Jcbmally and Deze2014
Wow ok well im about to purchase some through the mtec website been ages hovering on website for a while as wasnt sure which 1s, iv gone for the
Shopping Cart Items
MTEC4006HC High Carbon Drilled Grooved Brake Discs

MTEC4006HC High Carbon Drilled Grooved
Is it worth buying the protection coat also? Il wait for your response before i buy you have me excited now i might copy you with you pad set up also

Wow ok well im about to purchase some through the mtec website been ages hovering on website for a while as wasnt sure which 1s, iv gone for the
Shopping Cart Items
MTEC4006HC High Carbon Drilled Grooved Brake Discs

MTEC4006HC High Carbon Drilled Grooved
Is it worth buying the protection coat also? Il wait for your response before i buy you have me excited now i might copy you with you pad set up also

"Is it worth buying the protection coat also?" - for me yes as I hate with a passion a nice set of wheels with rusty hubs/disc vents behind.

Reactions: Deze2014 and Tolly-SQ5
Anybody know what size? One things for sure its not in my wide range of tools?

Attachments

• BBE46C91-B03C-4889-80F8-7DF28A90B9DB.jpeg
    BBE46C91-B03C-4889-80F8-7DF28A90B9DB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 7C133398-F624-48C3-9FC9-25683588E3BC.jpeg
    7C133398-F624-48C3-9FC9-25683588E3BC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
Why did you want to undo the drive shaft nut ?