Armytrix Exhaust power loss results

93T

Reaction score
if anyone is thinking off buying there exhaust dont bother 120hp down with valves closed please see dyno results
DYNO RUN 2015 001

I thought the idea of these exhaust systems was that you could get a car that gives you the best of both worlds in terms of either a free flow exhaust for maximum power or a system that sounds like stock.
Looking at the rear silencer you can see that when the valve is closed all the exhaust gas runs through the silencer and out of the outer tail pipe. To get into the rear box it needs to turn through 90 degrees and go through a smaller pipe.Highlighted in red. This in itself would be a good restriction.
Armytrix s5

When the valve is open nearly all the exhaust will go straight through the centre of the silencer and out the inner tailpipes. It seems they have an auto mode which switches between stock and race at 3K RPM.
Looking at your dyno plot at 3K RPM there is little difference between stock and race.
It does seem to make good power in race but does seem to have a lot of back pressure / restriction in stock mode above 3K RPM. It seems Auto mode gives you the best of both.

Karl.

pictures off the back box that we cut open,your right where you say the restriction is but there is more inside the boxes they where filled to the brim with fibre glass

Attachments

• Armytrix cut open 004.JPG
    Armytrix cut open 004.JPG
    862.7 KB · Views: 2,477
  • Armytrix cut open 005.JPG
    Armytrix cut open 005.JPG
    792.1 KB · Views: 2,072
  • Armytrix cut open 006.JPG
    Armytrix cut open 006.JPG
    862.8 KB · Views: 2,234
  • Armytrix cut open 007.JPG
    Armytrix cut open 007.JPG
    967.6 KB · Views: 3,999
Reactions: voorhees
the expert that i took the exhaust to was worried that the heat was going back to the engine when the valves where closed so could result in engine damage over a long period

Wow, i am really interested in this exhaust, shame to hear it has massive power loss

The Milltek ValveSonic looks a much neater set up
SUfJ30iyYL

is there any videos of the miltek?

Reactions: robtaylors
I have the AWE Touring fitted to my S5 and love the sound it makes,probably the best exhaust for the S5 but im slightly biased!

When I email Armytrix about the problem they just didn't want to know,they actually told a pack of lies on another forum,so be warned the exhaust cost me nearly £3k there after sales service is non existent they have refused to answer over 30 emails spend your money else where guys

That doesnt sounds good at all. I was really keen on that exhaust as the sound is awesome, but wont be getting it if you lose that much power

The sound is very raspy and way to expensive Im now running a custom exhaust cost around £700 and sounds way better and fitment is perfect unlike the Armytrix

Wow, so did you just take the loss from Armytrix or did you get your money back?

I do like the idea of being able to open and close valves dependent on where you are?

I took the loss they didn't want to know.the new exhaust has the valves on

the expert that i took the exhaust to was worried that the heat was going back to the engine when the valves where closed so could result in engine damage over a long period
That looks like a fairly poor design on the inside of the box, no wonder there is such a power loss, and as the expert says excessive back pressure will result in higher EGT's and more stress on the engine.

Karl.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Yes they commented how good the welding was on the outside off the box until we opened it up I think the wording went like this what a load off crap,when your spending close on 3 thousand it's not what you want to here

Erm??? Not fit for purpose? Surely you can take this further and get your money back??

Erm??? Not fit for purpose? Surely you can take this further and get your money back??
Not really as I wanted to get to the bottom off it why it was losing so much power and cut it open to see where the restrictions where.im happy if the message gets out and members don't waste there hard earned money

Reactions: ChrisRS3, T33_BKD, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Respect to you then mate. It's people like you that make this forum what it is today. :respekt:

The Powervalve system is the only system available that allows actuated valves in the main gas flow without a powerloss - in fact mid range torque is increased.

Reactions: THQuattro
The Powervalve system is the only system available that allows actuated valves in the main gas flow without a powerloss - in fact mid range torque is increased.

So you are saying the Miltek ValveSonic causes power loss??

No sorry my mistake I am not saying anything regarding any other system other than the one mentioned in the thread - What I mean is that any valve (or lets call it an obsticle) in the main gas flow has to affect power if it is manually controlled.
The Armytrix system shows that the valve is in the main gas flow... If it's closed manually - like a tap when the car is boosting or running under heavy load then that pressure runs back to the turbo and restricts throughput causing power loss and excess load on the components.

Reactions: xpoweruk
No sorry my mistake I am not saying anything regarding any other system other than the one mentioned in the thread - What I mean is that any valve (or lets call it an obsticle) in the main gas flow has to affect power if it is manually controlled.
The Armytrix system shows that the valve is in the main gas flow... If it's closed manually - like a tap when the car is boosting or running under heavy load then that pressure runs back to the turbo and restricts throughput causing power loss and excess load on the components.

Sorry if a daft question, but should we not be put off with the powerloss when values are closed? as closed is like standard exhaust and open is the aftermarket, if you can see what i mean?

The heat was traced going back up the pipes which could cause engine damage.and Armytrix wasn't interested when this question was asked to them.

The heat was traced going back up the pipes which could cause engine damage.and Armytrix wasn't interested when this question was asked to them.

Just been doing some research into this exhaust as i love the sound of it,

When you ran the dyno, were you doing runs to read line with the values closed? Reason i ask is on their website it mentions you must not go above 4000rpm with the values closed.

http://www.armytrix.com/warranty.php

@BCS Nige
When on full throttle what revs does your S4 system open at ?

Just been doing some research into this exhaust as i love the sound of it,

When you ran the dyno, were you doing runs to read line with the values closed? Reason i ask is on their website it mentions you must not go above 4000rpm with the values closed.

http://www.armytrix.com/warranty.php
One thing i would like to say that policy was not there until i complained .That is now there get out clause but on the old system on Auto it closes the valves at 3000rpm again i told them this and they declined to answer.they have now altered the exhaust so you cannot get a dyno run with the valves closed very crafty if you ask me

We didn't go Powervalve on the S4 as there is no where toharvest the pressure necessary to actuate the valve... So we opted for different tech and used exhaust gas velocity to change the tone by diverting gas flow...
The key on this car is avoiding drone, we went through 4 designs before we reached the sound we wanted.
Cheers
Nige

I have the Armytrix exhaust and have put a pulley on the supercharger with a stage 2 tune from GIAC and it has really brought the exhaust alive. The stock motor just doesn't have the power to maximize the potential of the exhaust but man I couldn't be happier with my setup

Reactions: Tom Stahler
The sound is very raspy and way to expensive Im now running a custom exhaust cost around £700 and sounds way better and fitment is perfect unlike the Armytrix

Can you please tell me where did u find this cheap? for my 2009 A5 2l tfsi I couldn`t find a custom exhaust for less than 1200 ;/

You can also change the auto setting with their app so you can have them open at whatever RPM you like. I didn't get mine to have the valves closed either but to teach there own, just from my personal experience the exhaust is ****** awesome. Had no issues with the install cause my family owns and operates a body shop so I've worked on cars my whole life and product fit like a glove just like they said. Running the vacuum line was a bitch but well worth it

Reactions: Tom Stahler
if anyone is thinking off buying there exhaust dont bother 120hp down with valves closed please see dyno resultsView attachment 56327

This is a six year old post. Allow me to address:

Considering the automotive world and all other technologies are constantly evolving, Armytrix has done the same. Because the systems are valvetronic, which is still a relatively new technology on cars, every company has suffered flaws on the design and production curve. The R&D at Armytrix never stops, along with consistent improvement in manufacturing. Armytrix just moved to a brand new, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility last month to meet the overwhelming demand for our systems worldwide.

Armytrix Systems are of the highest quality aftermarket exhausts you can buy.

1. The Fiber filler is OEM quality. That is essentially an industry standard. The flow, an engineering feat of our designers, is what makes our exhausts sound great. Think of the speaker/monitor feats of Dr. Bose in the 1970s.

2. The valves do decrease horsepower when they are closed. But this is not a flaw, it is science. When the valve is closed, it is, in fact, restricting air flow -- which is why the car is quiet when you are pulling from your neighborhood on Saturday, headed for cars and coffee; sitting next to a municipal, county or state trooper or grocery getting. There is now a failsafe within the OBDII code that automatically opens the valve at 4500 RPM or above. Back when the cited 2015 post was written, this was not a feature on many of the systems in the market and needless to say, it was fixed.

3. In the tenure of my time here, along with my colleagues at the factory, there have been no complaints about either of the issues raised. Clearly I benefit in selling a well developed product that continues to evolve -- and one that has become a brand that so many owners of international performance cars want.

4. They are worth it. There is that gratifying feeling when you step on the loud pedal -- and it's loud! Exhausts are conceptually all the same, right? They are made of steel or other exotic metals, have pipes, mufflers and tail pipes. What separates our product from the rest is that sound. This comes from rocket-science engineering whiz-kids who create an exhaust that rises above so many of the other systems out there. That know-how comes with a price tag. It is safe to assume anyone here who can afford a luxury/exotic feels the same way about their time and mind.

I hope this clarifies. When you are passionate about something, you steadfastly protect it.

Regards,

Tom Stahler
Armytrix Product Manager, The Americas