Arm rest,who has fitted one and is it worth it?

phil76

Reaction score
Hi people, my A3 came without the arm rest which my mates at statller have yet again came up trumps and got me but is it much of a job to fit? do you lose the compartment with the sliding cover over the cup holder? and lastly are they like on the mk4 golfs that once fitted weather in up or down position do they get in the way of your elbows when driving and going for the handbrake?
oh sorry is there a fitting kit or just a seperate threaded insert and bolts?

cheers people

no you dont lose the sliding cover, the armrest can tilt up and down.

Well the common thing on the 8P was the pain in butt armrest in way of handbrake, but a simple lift will allow full access & tbh after short while you get used to it, I personally woudnt be without the thing ever on any car, 1st to store crap & 2nd to put arm somewhere, lol.

Simple enough to install, just cutout a whole in top of the console, remove the rear ashtray/trim so can get to rear of console & slide it down through the cutout to a fixing below, not sure if it has that said fixing there from factory but can buy anyway, its simple to do but just take time so it looks oem & offer up the armrest in place 1st to make sure the cut is not showing once the armrest is fixed in place, someone on here had a cutout for it, do a search for threads about this

i fit a leather armrest to mine you can pull the ashtray out and the little box just below inside you will see at the bottom a metal piece with a hole in where the armrest goes ...... but you cant get to it to line it up that's because you have to cut a hole in the centre console i wish i had photoshop i could do you a diagram... but where you took the ashtray out the top of the console do not cut into it there you have to go about 15 mm forward and cut a strip out of the top of the console . the armrest goes through the hole if you look at the picture added there's the hole on top a center meter forward do you see....
i used a drill to make a big hole then i saw it,,, it was a bit shoddy but the trim on the bottom of the armrest covers it just don't cut from the back cos you will have a gap when you fit. once you put the armrest in to the hole i put 2 fingers in and work a bolt on then just tighten up a little movement at a time cos that all it will let you do with a spanner,,,,, then put back the ashtray and compartment below and done...... hope this helps
the yellow arrow is the hole you need to cut the red arrow points to the hole that the bolt goes through.... i just got a nut and bolt from b&q a short bolt about inch and half put it down though the armrest and with 2 fingers got the bolt on

DSC00233Medium.jpg

Always have my armrest down, even when operating the handbrake. You get used to it not being very well placed for the handbrake

i fit a leather armrest to mine you can pull the ashtray out and the little box just below inside you will see at the bottom a metal piece with a hole in where the armrest goes ...... but you cant get to it to line it up that's because you have to cut a hole in the centre console i wish i had photoshop i could do you a diagram... but where you took the ashtray out the top of the console do not cut into it there you have to go about 15 mm forward and cut a strip out of the top of the console . the armrest goes through the hole if you look at the picture added there's the hole on top a center meter forward do you see....
i used a drill to make a big hole then i saw it,,, it was a bit shoddy but the trim on the bottom of the armrest covers it just don't cut from the back cos you will have a gap when you fit. once you put the armrest in to the hole i put 2 fingers in and work a bolt on then just tighten up a little movement at a time cos that all it will let you do with a spanner,,,,, then put back the ashtray and compartment below and done...... hope this helps
the yellow arrow is the hole you need to cut the red arrow points to the hole that the bolt goes through.... i just got a nut and bolt from b&q a short bolt about inch and half put it down though the armrest and with 2 fingers got the bolt on

DSC00233Medium.jpg

Worrying thing is other day when i stripped the car to have a neb the big bracket with the red arrow going to i cant remember seeing so will have to have another look but i am sure there was only the 2 cast parts you can see under that bracket:crying:

it should be there mate and will look like that all a3s have em incase you do want an armrest fitted because you dont have the hole yet it will be a tad dark but shine a torch in it will be there ....when you get a bolt make sure it goes through but that it isnt to long as i think the 2 cables below are the handbrake cables so im sure they will rub on the bolt if to long and eventually break so just have a look you will sus it out with the diagram ive done i done mine without any template or diagram so its not that hard of a job ....good luck

The bracket will be there Phil, we have done lots of arm rest retrofits and I have never had to supply a bracket, and to be honest there isnt one listed.:think:

well thanks for the help people i will have another look and i have gave you a thanks using the thank button,but if it turns out not to be correct i am going to ask for a useless no help button to be added to give you all also :lmfao:

Reciprocated

& boydie I 2nd that, one of the best mods to do, I was lost using a car while had mine in the shop for new dis coding, couldnt think where to put my damn arm (no suggestions either boys, lol)

couldnt think where to put my damn arm (no suggestions either boys, lol)

Really??? Damn what a shame :nyah:

Never had the need for one myself, heard the get in the way too LOL. Do they still squeak like the 8L ones?

Yeah like a real bitch, but its not the armrest K its the console that squeaks, hate it, but what can you do, except chop arm of.

& to finish of your post "stick it up my ****" lol

I have no squeaking issues with mine, not one! The only thing it gets in the way is when you put the hand brake on but it doesnt bother me at all!

Sounds like my missus, handbrake, whats that then, something to stop the car from rolling away, oh really, thought was to hold onto when going round sharp corners

I Only have mine down on long journeys, pain in the **** day to day..IMHO of course
regards
dave

love my rest although if you life it up and down like a seat belt it locks into different positions i dont have mine straight i have it about 1cm above the console on a slight dip its very comfy even for day to day driving if it only went straight i wouldnt have one but a nice mod the only thing i dont like is after putting it down alot its started to mash the leather right at the back end of the handbrake which is a bit of a shitter.....

Hi people, my A3 came without the arm rest which my mates at statller have yet again came up trumps and got me but is it much of a job to fit? do you lose the compartment with the sliding cover over the cup holder? and lastly are they like on the mk4 golfs that once fitted weather in up or down position do they get in the way of your elbows when driving and going for the handbrake?
oh sorry is there a fitting kit or just a seperate threaded insert and bolts?

cheers people

so how much did your mates get you it for? :whistle2:

Christ then your missus fingers/hands are rather manly :undwech:

boydie why are you doing that ....i say sarcastically

lol hahahahaha got some paddy hands there lol