Are you up to debate on the sitting comfort scale of the 8p?

lleiro

Reaction score
As the title say...

I am finding my ways around the 8p. I keep finding it too small for me compared to the other cars I had on the past including a Merc a140 mk1.

I am pretty average size I would say (5.11/80klg) and I find it small to come in an out, to relax my legs etc.. Particularly the left thigh hitting the center console.

My first Audi was an early 90s A6 that felt like a palace. Still love the C4s and even on my past Golf 5 and Seat Altea, don't recall feeling this constricted or struggling to find a comfortable setup for my back... For what I read around the A4 is not much different. I also had Subaru Outbacks back in the midwest US but is not a fair comparison in terms of segments.

The A3 8p has a killer design and is one of those models that set the trends like the golf 5 or the Mark 3 M series. Once they got it right little has changed since...

Would love to hear your thoughts and reflections and what other make and model serves as reference points.

Cheers.

I'm surprised, as im 6"2, 95 kilos, I dont find it small & getting in, out is fine as had 3 & 5dr.

Maybe seat change needed, S5's are nice & very comfy.

I could go on all day with my gripes about the A3 seat + driving position. I owned my A3 8P for 6.5 years and did 110k miles in that time, so I spent a lot of time in the car! I'm 5ft 10 and my weight varied between 74kg-84kg in that time :)

1) I've always felt that when holding the steering wheel, your arms are offset to the side, with respect to your seated position. I know someone with an A3 8V who says the same thing about that car.

2) It feels as though the car was designed for someone with long arms and short legs. The steering wheel ideally needs a greater range of adjustment to be closer to the driver (yes I had it on the closest setting and even then it wasn't enough).

3) I had the S-Line seats. It had no lumbar support (quite a rare option from what I have seen). There isn't adequate knee support either (no extendable knee section like you get in bigger Audis or a lot of BMWs).

4) The upper section of the seat (where your shoulders are) are curved inwards, presumably because this gives a sportier feel and tries to hold you in corners. It does to an extent, but it just means you "round" your shoulders inwards all the time and is not particularly comfortable. Even the W210 E55 AMG that I've borrowed had flat shoulder sections which ensure you don't round forward and is so much comfortable for it!

5) I felt the bolsters cut into your thighs a little too much.

Pros:

1) Aesthetically speaking, the seats "look" nice.

2) Materials are of good quality and hard-wearing

3) Seat folding mechanism is good, remembers your tilt setting when you unfold and is easy to use.

Sometimes you get into other cars and you know straightaway that the seats are great! I drove an E60 BMW 5 Series and the seats fit my body well and were comfortable to sit in, in terms of the spring tension, cushioning and shape.

The seats and driving position in Fords are very good and one that I always rate highly. The steering wheel is closer to you and you have good legroom so you have adequate bend in your arm, rather than being completely locked/out-stretched like in the Audi.

Of course, as @NHN suggested, you may want to try the seats from an A5 and if you like them, look into fitting it into your A3.

Thanks! I don't feel alone then! Rolling down the window feels like an adventure too.

Do the A5 seats bolt straight on? Any other VAG seats that end improving the 8p? Mine has no electronics... Presumably the airbag plugs and seatbelt sensors if that.

What seats do you have now?
I have the electric leather seats which are more adjustable, you can tilt the seat squab up and down at the front or back. The shoulder area is also flat and does Not curve ( I have wide shoulders as well, 5’ 11” as well.

When I had a S3 8P sportback I had the bucket seats and they were very very comfortable. Easy to get in and out of with lots of leg room.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I am 5ft 7" and weigh around 86kg and i am short legges 29" so i fit car perfectly plus having Wingbacks has made a difference drom the standard seats .

I've had quite a few 8P's over the years and never found it a problem and I'm 6'3".
What i would say is one of the cars had the electric seats in, the adjustment on the front edge of the seats comes up further than the manual ones and for that was more comfortable for my longer legs. The others were quite acceptable though!