Are You Sure You're getting What You Paid For?

QuattroCalum

Reaction score
Concerning fuel, I came across this today but I hadn't heard about it before, this is a Shell garage.

Just take a few moments before pulling the trigger to make sure it's not rigged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raiden
I dont use Shell any more since they closed for renovation for 4 weeks and were shut 6 months .
Use BP now .
I used one once and when finished tipped up the handle to get the drips and it added 2 p .
If that's real its shocking .

Wow that is a joke. I always fill up at BP but I will test this out next time

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

One explanation I've seen for this is down to expanding hoses in the pump itself as things pressurise, plus petrol is pretty volatile and will expand too, especially in hot weather. Not sure how valid this scenario is, but seems like a good explanation to me.

Going by the above, best way to avoid being charged extra is to actually fill the car up with petrol and not mess about with the pump.

The same "scam" can also be tested at other pumps to see if the same happens at BP, Tesco, etc

Yes trsco done it for years. Stop the pump dead on £20, £40 or what ever you’ve put in, replace the nozzel and by the time you come to pay its strangely gone over by 1p or 2p. How much is that making them a day?
I questioned it and was told that i could pre program the pump to deliver exact amount? Really! And who's going to either be aware of that or bothered.

Yes trsco done it for years. Stop the pump dead on £20, £40 or what ever you’ve put in, replace the nozzel and by the time you come to pay its strangely gone over by 1p or 2p. How much is that making them a day?
I questioned it and was told that i could pre program the pump to deliver exact amount? Really! And who's going to either be aware of that or bothered.

I noticed that with Tesco, I always tried to get it bang on £35 and it always jumped a couple of pence, but now you can fill it to the exact amount in £’s OR litres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk