Are you over protective?

S4twiggy

Fully Certified Detailer!!
Reaction score
is it me or do other people suffer with being an overprotected saddo!! its gotten to the point now where i can stand people going anywhere in the direction of my car, i hate people standing by it as most people dont understand about jeans with buttons or track bottoms with zips. i never park in a normal space in tesco if i ever go there, i always park in the mum and kids bay(sorry mums but you dont understand) i dont park on pavements or leave my car outside peoples houses without worrying about it 60 secs of 60 mins 24/7 i think im coming too attached to my car now so i cant imagine what it is going to be like if someone marked it or even worse!!!anyone else like this or is it just me??

I know the feeling mate. I have mates leaning on my car(not the S3 thankfully), and I say watch you don't scratch the paint mofos, and they all go funny and say they are 'only' leaning on it, and tell me to relax. Of course, non of them understand or have the passion on cars as I do, and probably don't even know what car detailing is.

So its you parking in my space lol! I use them too!

No guys I'm exactly the same! Hate passengers in the car, worry about buttons on jeans etc and never allow food anywhere near it! Also hate it when friends get out and put their bag on the bonnet while they put their coat on!! NO way! bag gets thrown on the floor lol!

And why is it, you park in car carks/supermarkets right out of the way and when you come back there is always someone next to you when there are dozens of spaces all around!!! crazy! I try to park on the ends or even take up 2 spaces (yeh I know you shouldnt!)

So no you arnt alone, im probably much worse!

I'm 100% over protective. 1. Use the wife's car for work (3 mile drive) so i don't have to use mine (wife has a 30 mile coach trip to work). 2. Use the wife's car for shopping so i don't have to use mine.. 3. Start the car up on a Sunday drive/roll 15 feet down my drive wash it for 4-5 hour's and reverse it back up the drive and lock the gate for another week. We don't even let the postman post any letter's. i use the wife's car to pick them up from the post office on a Saturday morning . I spend more money on cleaning/beauty product's than i spend on myself and my wife. I can't stand it when i book the car in for minor work (with a guy i have used for 7 year's) Just in case something happen's. Yes i'm over protective for sure. People just don't understand..

Im the same, real anal when it comes to being protective of my car! My mates dont dare light a cigarette or eat in my car! I used to go crazy at my ex for eating in my car etc, always finding sweet wrappers and crumbs everywhere after her!!

I recently split with my GF and one thing she brought up was that she felt i loved my car more than her! HAHA Jeez!

My car sits outside all week not getting used pretty much, weekend comes, she gets her clean, i might then use her occasionally, then she gets parked back up for yet another week of very little or no use! :ninja:

I HATE car parks!! Hate them! Another thing my ex used to complain about! The long walks to and from the shops as i always park as far away as poss! :blush:

I'm the same with my car, even worse with my daughter!

Use the wife's car for work (3 mile drive) so i don't have to use mine (wife has a 30 mile coach trip to work)

Haha Legend!

is it me or do other people suffer with being an overprotected saddo!! its gotten to the point now where i can stand people going anywhere in the direction of my car, i hate people standing by it as most people dont understand about jeans with buttons or track bottoms with zips. i never park in a normal space in tesco if i ever go there, i always park in the mum and kids bay(sorry mums but you dont understand) i dont park on pavements or leave my car outside peoples houses without worrying about it 60 secs of 60 mins 24/7 i think im coming too attached to my car now so i cant imagine what it is going to be like if someone marked it or even worse!!!anyone else like this or is it just me??

man... u said it all,,, i feel exacly like that. aweek ago some left a mark on the door because they parked so close but luckly i got it rid of by t-cut. I worry when the passanger seats on the car i keep telling them off to sit straight or wther they r ruining my leather n stuff this is paranoia :faint:

Last edited:
Sod it. Get a banger and relax.

Mine's got scuffed wheels, scratches, and even a tiny wee bit of rust. She drives fine, looks luuuuuurvely when it's raining/dark/both, and compared to the company car, goes like stink.

It's not that I don't understand car-pride or anything, the A3 I had when I started here was treated like a lottery-predicting unicorn - and far more than was warranted; and there's nothing wrong with being like that. It's just kinda nice to not worry so much - it's kinda liberating to be able to think 'well, it'll match the one on the other side' when you ding a wheel a bit.

All the bits on mine will be put right sooner or later; I really fancy hanging on to this one as a restoration project, and that's when I'll become ridiculously festidious; but until that point I'm enjoying a little bit more sanity :)

All the best,

Rob.

Damn it man you do talk some sense sometimes Rob, thats so where I am atm, I have to admit I'm starting to get fedup with worrying about the poxy car, as much as I really love the motors & the work I do on them, it has become a ridiculous waste of energy to constantly keep an eye on them buggers & to what extent do we go to protect them from the all I can say complete cxnts out there that see us as all rich boys who never work for our nice toys huh.

So does make you wonder if having the lesser nicer car would remove allot of wasted time & stress & provide us with a much healthier living enviroment as been through some stress in the past with hoodies, installing cctv, up at stupid times of night when hearing noises, just gets out of hand really does.

Now with the kid it makes it even more obvious to me what is best to be in, not from a money stance just peace of mind.

As much as I love a nice car, would it just be easier to have a Meriva, cause then you really dont have to give a **** huh, lmfao.

Its good to have two cars, I use the wifes car for the run around agree with Sarah park out of the way and some guy parks right next to me! luckly my car is in the garage most of the time. my mates at work moan at me i dont drive the car that much glad its not just me

At school run time I am either looking through the window or stood outside having a smoke near my car ever since that van hit my car and drove off.

Here's my method of dealing with the reality or possibility of damage:

Any damage/marks on my car which wouldn't be noticed by the average person looking at it when it's parked up/while i'm driving past them/etc I don't let bother me.

In the past if I got a scratch on my bumper... yes, I noticed it, every minute of everyday, forever until I sold the car, and it annoyed the crap out of me, all the time.
Now, I look at it, work out if 99% of other people would notice it. If I think they wouldn't, I look at it again, get over it, and move on.

Does that make me vain?? Probably.
Does it keep me sane?? Definitely.

I dont like leaving the motor outside peoples houses either. Also have thoughts in the back of my mind that its gonna have no mirrors or the window smashed and had someone routing around inside.

im terrible.. to the point people are scared to come in my car!! i dont let Audi clean it.. i park in any bay other than a normal one! i hate people who get in my car in jeans and i also really hate people esp the mrs when she gets her bags out the car and scrapes them against things, lately the piano black backs of my BUCKETS!! :mad:

my biggest paranoia though is Audi or the like (bodyshops) touching my car when im not there.. i feel like they see a slightly modified already fast car and think lets see how it sounds/fast it is and rev her up when shes really cold not giving a f**k bout her insides!! or even take it out!! :shutup2::keule:

Its a car, it's transport. I love my car, but shiz happens.

Mess with the Mrs on the other hand.....................................

Now with the kid it makes it even more obvious to me what is best to be in, not from a money stance just peace of mind.

As much as I love a nice car, would it just be easier to have a Meriva, cause then you really dont have to give a **** huh, lmfao.

Hmm ok, see the sleepless nights have muddled your brain already! Ive had the 'people' carrier. I modded a Touran lol, did look good and shifted but was always a van!!! Felt like heaven to get back into a car!!!

Ok, you may save stress and wasted time driving an old banger or some rubbish you arnt really bothered about! But come onm all that wasted happy driving times lost too! Its swings and roundabouts! Plus doubt you'd bother cleaning it and tbh I love cleaning my car!

Now get some shut eye Nige! lol

I tend to park as far away from where the people who dont give a f*** would probably park....

Nobody and I mean NOBODY gets to smoke in my car.

My friends know I like to keep my car spotless, if we've been out clubbing or to an event they will collect as many flyers, posters and promotional rubbish as possible and leave it on the back seat knowing i wont see it till I go work Monday the rotten c***'s! :)

I'm ridiculously protective of mine. Its the first 'nice' car i've owned, and it just happens to be black. Oh the joys.
I very rarely take it shopping and if i do, its at the quiet end of the car park. And it really annoys me when somebody just parks next to you when there's hundreds of other options.

I have a fiesta which is used as a second car, so mine just tends to sit in the garage unless its a decent drive now days. Its basically my sunday car now, I know that its utterly pathetic, But I've spent so much time/effort/money on getting the paintwork perfect, I'm afraid to drive it haha.

Yep, very protective of mine and I ALWAYS use the same space at work which is on the end of a bay so I can inch up close to kerb on one side (not touchingi it of course!) and leave a maximum gap to the next bay. If I arrive late & "my" space is gone I end up driving round searching for another "end" one. My team even leave the space for me now. This week I was late in on Tuesday and one of my team actually told me she'd parked in the far car park because mine was the only free one in the other one!

Worst of all though is when the kids are about when I'm washing the car (ie most weekends). They love playing in thw bubbles and I'm just so paranoid that they're going to get grit in my clean bucket or rub the car with gritty hands.

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgghh!

i cant wait to eat a jam doughnut, smoke a fag, wearing jeans and look closely at all your cars at the next meet :eyebrows:

only joking im not as bad as soon of u lads but still agree with a few things like my missus n her massive hangbags with jingly bits all hangin off em brushing the side of my car. i try to park where there is good space either side etc. Also dont like parking on streets?

glad to hear alot of people are like me, this is what peeeeed me off earlier, i was in town this morning and i was waiting in the car for my mate as he popped to the bank and im sitting there watching people with daggers as they walk closely to my car grrrrrrr!! one woman was so close that her fooking black leather bag bryshed on the rear quarter panel and i just felt like getting out and saying "you stupid *&^%$£$ %^&*^ i wish you people would just ^&*% off and get back to the bus where you belong you ^*&$%£* &*^&%$£ &*^^* mother *^&%£$$% CU*&'s" i feel like telling them how long it takes to get our cars they way they look but they wouldnt understand and would say summin like " ahh **** off mate its only a car, plus im late to cash in my benefits from the post office and but tins of burgers to feed my nine kids who are hungry from stealing your dust caps and putting them up on my mantle piece to sell on ebay so i can buy another skirt to go out and get blotto and get my minge seen to again by a useless tosser so i can get pregnant again and get a bigger house and more money from the goverment so i can buy a new black leather bag" LMAO that sadly peeps is the ambitions of a Merthyr Tydfil girl.............................. all this by the time they are 16 too!

oh and another thing that does my nut in is people who wash their cars outside in the street and you drive past them in your freshly done car and they just spray the **** out of it with their hose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK OK, chill man! And breathe... ...in, hold for 5 seconds, and out... Ahh, that's better.

Parking on the street? Sod that, rather catrch the bus and wipe out someone else's door mirror!

I love my Audi too, guys & girls and yes I am very protective too.

But i am sorry to say that as a "Parent" there is nothing more annoying than watching a guy in some posh car or cabriolet with no sticky fingered Kids anywhere to be seen, take the last parent & child space right outside the entrance.

Then I have to cram my lovely Audi in next to two greedily parked a-holes. Then I have to squeeze my little one out of his car seat through a ridiculously small gap, whilst courteously NOT hitting the Nob's car next to me. Sorry but can't agree with you on that one s4twiggy!! Tut tut !!

My Dads little **** of a dog managed to jump out of the back window ( in Summer) cos it couldn't wait for me to open the car door and scratched my door with it's claws on the way out !!!!!! Arghhh I swear I wanted to punch it right in the face!! but decided against it as I do love dogs, but just not that day !!

Car parks are definitely the top place to get lots a new little dents & dings from idiot women and old people who have no care in the world for anything but themselves. I see people doing it to other people cars all the time I just cringe when I see it.. Ouch...

Why do people without kids think it's safer to park in a parent and child spot?

As you've said, most people don't care as much about cars as we do. Combine a mother (with those non-car-loving tendencies) with her precious children running around a car park, AND a trolley full of shopping with a mind of it's own, and you soon realise a parent and child spot is the LAST place to leave a car you care about.

You have entered the zone that you are no longer the owner of the car, the car is the owner of you! My car owns my **** all day long, i park in 2 spaces at tesco and say **** the risk of a ticket,

You have entered the zone that you are no longer the owner of the car, the car is the owner of you! My car owns my **** all day long, i park in 2 spaces at tesco and say **** the risk of a ticket,

I parked in 2 spaces of a car at tesco the other day and believe me some mofo squized in to park when there was plenty of spaces around, i was breathless

I parked in 2 spaces of a car at tesco the other day and believe me some mofo squized in to park when there was plenty of spaces around, i was breathless

i park at 40 degrees so no one can enter the spaces, sorry if i sound rude, but **** em, i know i sound like a slag but i know how it feels to find a scrape on your door from another door being opened and a dent being left for you to find feels, i have no soul now, mums or compnay car owners or just slags who dont give a monkeys that you spend time and money on your ride dont get a look in when i park anymore,

I'm the same, always check my car after leaving it in a car park for dings from car doors and trolleys, good place to park in the multi-story car park here is the, new parent or expecting parent car spaces lol, there not to know my missus is'nt pregnant.

I feel like this is a support group! I know the feeling all too well fellas, didnt really care about it until I got a decent motor, and its even worse with the new A3 since its the first and probably last new car I'll ever have (the new car has taken too much of my sanity and might have taken 3 points off my license!)

I do love throwing my bird's little Polo around through, nippy little sod it is!

Yes im over protective about my car. As some of you may already know from one of my threads.
I just cant help it. I park way from every one in car parks but then i always seem to get the @r$e who wants to park right by me even though there loads of free places else where?! In my work car park i normally park the car outside the front now where i can see it from my desk and there cctv. As two of the other guys do the same, so if any one was to hit any of our cars we would see it and it be on cctv. Quite sad i know...If i know the area i'm happy to leave my car outside some one house. But if im not too familiar with the area i kind of get nervous leaving my car there.
Lucky most people i visit have drives :)

least im not the only one them,

ive had my car since feb, and if i go to the local chippy i take the works van as i dont want it stinking out the car!

hate going to car parks, also try and find a good size space,

and when it comes to washing it, i take my car round to me unit and wash it/ polish it round there out of the way and can put the car inside aswell

also hate taking my car into city centres at nigth, dont mind chester, but liverpool and manchester are a no go area for the car, so take me dads bmw insted lol

Well I was doing the school run last week and a large lady shall we say walked so close her bag ran along my car! I was out before she'd taken another step! Why when there was so much room, she looked at me like I was an idiot, but looking at her, she'd never realised what its like to have pride and love! (rant over!)
And why cant women park???? I park out of the way, always! But you find theres always one parked soooo close I cant open my door! Insane!

First, let me apologize in advance for the length and structure of my post, youll know what I mean as you read it. Also, let me say that in real life I'm actually harmless and I dont really seem as I may appear from this post, so long as nobody touches my car, unless I expressly permit them to do so.

I have the same problem(as some people called it). You guys have no idea how many times I was furious because somebody simply parked near me. This especially gets me WHITE-HOT when I made the effort to specifically park several places away from the furthest parked car in the lot.
th_e2ceadba.jpg

Most of the time its not a REALLY big deal if theyre one spot away from me. I've come to notice that entirely too many people in this area dont give a **** about other cars parked near them and even their own. This especially applies to children, women and elderly folk. They seem to unlatch the door lock then proceed to kick the door out from the inside like a wild stallion refusing to be tamed and allow the door to not only swing open SO FAST that I see smoke trails behind them like falling meteorites, but to smash into the car standing next to them with the force of large caliber armor piercing rounds at close range. I see and hear this happen all the time in parking lots, especially near grocery stores or places like wall-mart. And they act like nothing happened.
9d203ce7.jpg

In the 4 years Ive had my car, there has been only one person that managed to do something significant to it. There is a scrape with a slight indentation(just 2-3mm deep) on my car.
bf27d2d3.jpg

It's from a blonde girl in a red civic(which makes it impossible to trace since i didnt see the plate). It's not bad, the metal is still fine and its not rusting, its just a slight indentation and some thin white lines there. Other than one occurence, I've managed to keep my car scratch and dent free since the day I picked it up. Pretty much everyone I know has called me paranoid and obsessed, but when I show them the sides of my parents' cars and demand they tell me if I'm right on the subject or not, they all agree with me, then proceed to say "but its only a car". I am utterly obsessed with paint. I have spent entire 3 day weekends, from morning till sundown of all of friday, saturday and sunday cleaning and detailing the outside of my car to keep it as nice as I possibly can. Most people and places only take a few hours to clean it and wash it. They all end up using that "all in one" type of product. You know the ones, they claim to clean the car, seal the paint, fill in scratches, wax it for shine and was it for protection without you having to wipe or dry the car or apply any other product. Yea, right, they also cure aids, cancer and give handjobs as you drive. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! Anyway! I share your pain, guys, because I actually have a panic reaction if anyone near me or in my visual range sets something down on their or any other car. Those cars arent even mine and I just RUN and tell them to freeze and carefully pick up to object without sliding it even a 1/10th of a millimeter across the paint. If I actually catch them early enough, I scream at them to "SET IT ON THE GLASS!" repeatedly, if theres a sunroof on the car or just grab them and demand they not set it on paint.
th_b8fc4cb7.jpg

I realize it's not normal to look after car paint(cars that are not even my own included) with more attention than an average person pays to their infant child, but there is nothing I can do about it. I think the only reason I'm not using q-tips to clean and wax my car at the moment is the fact that I'm unemployed and I'm simply not driving my car all that much. I have shelves of car cleaning products in the garage, that I use to clean and maintain my car with. Most people use a buffer to wax their car, as do I. The difference is that they use a large buffer and I use a small pad, literally the size of my palm(fingers excluded) to apply wax on my paint. This isnt a huge deal if you have something the size of a motorcycle or if youre only doing one small panel, like the gas tank lid. I go over my entire car twice with this. I have an A6, which is a mid-size car. For comparison, think of the gas tank lid in comparison to the surface area of an entire car that size. I pay special attention to all the body lines, corners and curves of the car at all times and I have my own way of going over each panel. This actually allows me to inspect each square inch of the car as I apply the wax after inspecting the car once more before as I wash it by hand. Another reason why Im absolutely crazy is the fact that my car's paint is Brilliant Black. If you know this color, you realize at least partly why I'm saying what Im saying. To put it short, this black paint GLOWS in the sun, it shines SUPER bright and this just multiplies any imperfection tenfold. I cannot have that. I have a whole bucket of microfiber cloths, with the ration of about 1 cloth per panel on my car for just taking the extra wax off the car. This is only for waxing. This doesnt include anything else. As far as jeans with metal zippers, hoodies, jackets, people leaning on cars? That's a very painfull subject for me. I never allow anyone to lean on my car EVER or I simply explode
I clearly sound insane/disturbed, but let me just show you a couple of pictures and maybe, just MAYBE I'll redeem myself at least enough for you guys not to board up your houses.

The following photos are taken after a wash. There is NO WAX on the car as of yet. The blue tape is painters tape. It is to prevent the material I use to buff my car from getting on trim. As you can see, the tape is clean, I did not buff the car yet. I only washed the car and taped it off before buffing and waxing it. Please judge for yourself if my paranoia has paid off or not. These are thumbnails of actual photos, you can click on them to view larger size photos. No editing has been done to these photos(because I simply dont know how).

That's why I like taking my old landrover into town! Earlier in the week I was sat in the car and felt a thud, driver next to me them mouthed sorry as they bent the edge of their door on my huge side step!

French cab 0-1 old landrover!

Each to their own i guess, but i am in no way overprotective. I bought the car to drive, and you can't properly drive a car if you're over protective, thus in my mind you can't enjoy it. Makes me wanna cry seeing truly mint condition cars parked up or on trailers as i know they haven't been used to their potential. Don't get me wrong, I don't neglect my cars, but there's a line!

Oh my god! You may as well shrink wrap it and put it in your garage for ever. Life is for living. You get one shot at it, and you don't know for how long. As long as you have your health, everything else can be sorted out. I've never understood neighbours who go to work for long hours all week, and then spend a good 5 hours of their weekend washing the car. And they also have kids. This is just my own opinion, and I clearly don't understand it (many of you have already said that people don't get it). I just think that I will have better memories to look back later in life (presuming I get there) of time spent doing things with my daughter rather than cleaning my car.

Having said that, each to their own. However, when you start to abuse facilities for others (parent and child) I think you have crossed into a different place. And you know they are the ways everyone wheel trolleys out anyway?

At school run time I am either looking through the window or stood outside having a smoke near my car ever since that van hit my car and drove off.

Well, my Audi went in for repair last Wednesday so I have a courtesy car, and some tw*t scraped along that this morning without stopping, nice, it carries £500 excess.
So tomorrow at school run time.... think Clint in Gran Torino :gun2:

i know exactly what you all mean if i cant get my car outside my own house i treat it like a personal insult then i am up and down looking through the window to make sure its ok . and to be honest i am getting fed up with it . the wife gives me greif every saturday when we go to morrisons because i will not park near the entrance i park it at the quiet end of the car park so we have to walk a couple of hundred yards . i go to bed at night wondering if it will be ok then i get up and the first thing i do is look out the window to see that it is ok which it always is touch wood . the most relaxed time i had was when i had to sell a nice a4 due to unemployment and bought a 400 quid polo just to get me about i looked after it mechanically but never gave a c--p what happened to it and would park it anywhere ho happy days and something i am seriously doing again

my apologies to all the mums and dads out there who have to shop and cant park cuz my baby is in the space for you!!! but i will stick to doing it but im never in a car park long enough to hold you too much as i nip in and out like my mood does lol as for the car owning me..............hell yea it owns me and i love being owned by it, being a quite rare S4 with the spec and age(one of the last S4's) my car is my pride and joy and its all i can think about, i will have my ups and downs with it but who doesnt huh? im going to be like the old guys with their UR Quattys in shows in the future taking my classic S4 to the shows as i plan on keeping this car all my life as its my one love in the world and this is the reason i am over protected. sometimes its a pain getting out whilst parked next to ***** cars and taking pictures of the number plates in case i find marks on the car which will drive me nuts but its gotten to this now and its not getting any better as im detailing i look at a smudge and i have to clean it and i hate anyone looking at it close up in case of zips, buttons or anything that touches it but do you know what?????????????? my S4 is absolutely amazing and ive worked too hard on it for anyone to ruin it so its nice to see yall are like me.

Each to their own i guess, but i am in no way overprotective. I bought the car to drive, and you can't properly drive a car if you're over protective, thus in my mind you can't enjoy it. Makes me wanna cry seeing truly mint condition cars parked up or on trailers as i know they haven't been used to their potential. Don't get me wrong, I don't neglect my cars, but there's a line!

dont get me wrong mate i drive the car to its limits at times when i like as i live in the brecon beacons but whether i drive it not drive it im still over protected about it. like you said a car is for driving but no harm in being the way i am, atleast when im flying in the beacons my car looks the nuts and it does turn heads which helps when people come up to me as i get to give them my business card to get their car detailed lol