Are you "brand Loyal " to car a manufacturer.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
On my quest this week for some sort of payment contribution from Audi towards the replacement of my one-of-a-kind rusting B7 bonnet, I have been presented with a rather worrying phrase from the warranty manager at my local Audi dealer.

" Brand Loyalty"

Having made my case to him on Tuesday on the problematic bonnet he agreed it was something neither he had seen before nor had the experience of.
It clearly wasn't due to neglect etc and not one of the normal rust points, he checked the paint on the whole front end and agreed it was original, which left the only conclusion as a faulty bonnet.
When I approached the matter of the next steps he asked me if the car had a full Audi service history up to date, if I was the original owner and what other damage the car had incurred.
Now as the car had been into them more times than I can recall for warranty repairs you would think they would have it on the system without asking me.
I mentioned it had full Audi service up to the end of the approved Audi used warranty, after that indy and myself.
It had been in the rear wheel arch rust penetration repairs in 2018 under warranty.

Anyway, he trundled off to check his system, came back and confirmed everything id already told him.
When asked what they were going to do he replied, well sir, you are not audi "brand loyal" so Audi UK are less likely to entertain a claim when the car is out of warranty, maybe if you had everything stamped up they will more than likely assist.
Whats that all about, being brand loyal, I've had it for 8 years and I'm the second owner so more than loyal.

If said he'd forward the claim onto Audi Uk and get back to me.
Before i'd even got home he was on the phone to say it was a non-starter to be repaired, but , had the car been a "brand loyal customer" they would have replaced it, what utter tosh.
They also maintained the rust was surface and only covered by the 3-year warranty from new, not the 12-year penetration cover, more tosh as i had another inspection that clearly stated it was from inside the bonnet seams rusting outwards not from outside inwards.

So then, i would have just left it at that and walked away and fixed it myself had all the tosh about being brand loyal not come up and be used as reason to avoid the claim.

They have just given me more resons to take things further now.

Audi uk, utter twonks .

Reactions: RS5 JON, Rob Avant, norad97 and 2 others
When asked what they were going to do he replied, well sir, you are not audi "brand loyal" so Audi UK are less likely to entertain a claim when the car is out of warranty, maybe if you had everything stamped up they will more than likely assist.

What a load of bs, I bought my S5 approved used from Audi with sub 6k miles on it. It’s only ever been to the local Audi dealer, tyres, brakes, servicing, mot, random diagnostic, everything.
2 years into ownership the thermostat went which they replaced under warranty. 6 months later the warranty expired and then 3 months after that the thermostat went again.

I told the Audi dealer what the problem was, they insisted nothing was wrong, then after 2 trips conceded there was an issue but denied it was the thermostat and charged me £350 to change a sensor. Issue still persisted, 2 more trips they finally agreed it was the thermostat and it needed replacing for £700.

Yet despite it being a part that only failed 3 months after my warranty expired, and 9 months after it was fitted they refused to cover it. Apparently the 12 month warranty on parts doesn’t cover parts replaced by warranty. They also said the fact I had only ever brought it to them was irrelevant and I’d have to pay in full.

Calling them useless would be a compliment.

How on earth can the service history have any bearing on a rusting bonnet? lol

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned loyalty is a reciprocal action, but what I've found is that the manufacturers expect it to be one way: towards them.

Honda: Had lots of cars from them as well as my whole family. The main dealers were actually quite good, although their HQ customer service not the best. Alas, such a small choice of cars and engines though, with very limited powerful cars.

Jaguar: Their approved body shop Mitchell Inglis in Glasgow made a mess of a front bumper spray and despite their own engineers saying that it was a bad repair and booking me back in, the boss's son (an utter ringpiece) butted in and refused to fix it. It came with a 3 year warranty that had Jaguar's logo on it and a declaration that if there was a dispute then Jaguar would send out on of their own engineers to inspect.... of course they didn't! lol Not even a quick phone call to Mitchell Inglis to say fix it. They weren't interested. I was looking to change to petrol and eyeing up an XF or XJ 5.0 V8 supercharged, but I had lost faith in them so I moved to Audi (I wanted a supercharged car).

AUDI: When I bought my S4 it had a full electronically marked up Main Dealer Service History, but after enquiring about the DSG fluid change at 40k miles it transpired that it was never done. I queried with Audi UK customer service and they is was a discretionary item and despite being critical if it wasn't done the car can still be classed as having a full service history. They then pretty much told me to go and do one. I'm not even a number to them; I'm a decimal place and a very small one at that so why would they care.

I've heard Lexus are good though, but I just operate on the MO that when you buy a used car you are pretty much on your own, so I'll buy the car I want rather than the brand and deal with any consequences myself.

Basingstoke Mercedes recommended by a friend have been brilliant. Probably helps that I get both cars serviced and MOT’d by them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basingstoke Mercedes recommended by a friend have been brilliant. Probably helps that I get both cars serviced and MOT’d by them.

Arent they also part of the lookers Audi group.

I’m not sure. They’re part of Sandown. I believe the only Mercedes owned dealers are in London

How on earth can the service history have any bearing on a rusting bonnet? lol

I’ve had this argument with a previous car(not Audi) and the reply was if it had the full service history then we do a full bodywork corrosion check around the car as part of the service schedule which your independent garage wouldn’t have done. Also we would have caught it before it got worse. Basically saying instead of a £1000 repair it would have been a £300.
utter crap. You will be lucky if they walked round the whole car as part of the service.

Reactions: ninjag, Dubjam and Charlie Farley