Are the cheap tuning boxes any good???

rugnugdo

Reaction score
Looking to get my 1.9 TDI 105bhp chipped, but i have only just bought the car and very tight on cash at the moment so i wont be splashing £300-400 on a tuning chip for it, but there are plenty of sub £100 even sub £50 tuning boxes available

Whats my best option for the 1.9 TDI without spending loads of money.... or is there not one!

Just a remap my friend ... best value for money

Bought one for my Toyota Verso 2.2D4D from eBay, cost about £100. Absolutley fantastic, had re-maps before which cost £300+. If it was petrol then yes, a re-map, but as it's diesel, then I'd go for a cheap tunning box. If you check the Toyota owners forum, you'll see plenty of posts recommending them, and none discrediting them.

Remap it ! all these cheap boxes do is fool the ecu into thinking the engine is cold-so it just throws more fuel in.........like having ya car running al day on choke !

Remap it ! all these cheap boxes do is fool the ecu into thinking the engine is cold-so it just throws more fuel in.........like having ya car running al day on choke !

Bang on , i did it on a golf tdi once and it just made it feel like the choke was out... also caused a few problems when i took it of with timing issues.
Was from ebay £ 50.00 complete waste of money.

Last edited:
Go for a remap. I got bluefin on my diesel pd140 and it makes me grin again when driving. :D When I decide to take it off, I can do it in about 10mins. No hassle, plug & play. You might be able to get a discount if you mention you're from audi-sport.net when calling Superchips.