Are facelift and pre-facelift wing mirrors different?

ci-ryder

Reaction score
Pretty much as above, I am trying to find new wing mirror glass for a 2000 pre-facelift S3 but having ordered new glass from both eurocarparts and also eBay they are both too big to fit into the housing as per the pic, I am now wondering if at some point in the cars past different wing mirrors have been fitted hence when using the reg to order the new glass I am getting items that don't fit.

These are the wing mirrors in question:-

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm almost certain they are different mate... Do a search there will be something in there.... It's been mentioned before...

I had a poke around the site and found one reference saying they were different but that was it, I have no clue how to distinguish which is which so I can figure what I have and thusly order the right item.

Been looking at car ads and to me pre-face lift and face lift wing mirrors pretty much look the same to me, I will have another search about later/tomorrow it's been a very long work day and I need sleep.

Cheers

top one in ur pic is face lift looks like theone for my s3 2003

You need to order one for a MK4 golf, same as early A3 / S3.

Thanks for that, I will look at Mk4 glass instead, hopefully that will do the trick.

There is subtle differences between the facelift and pre facelift, best thing to do is just order the wing mirror glass direct from Audi, they dont cost that much and you'll be getting the right part.

That may well be the route I go as it is taking quite a while for me to sort something so simple.

I may stop off at the local dealers on my lunch break tomorrow to get prices and then decide.

yes they are different, the facelift glass which is the top one in your pic notice the inner edge angles in towards the bottom, where as the early ones as per your second pic the inner edge is almost straight, the mirror itself mounts on the same, its just the shape of the glass that is different

Thanks for that, seems places like ECP only sell the facelift ones so I am on the hunt for early ones.

Can guarantee a Mk4 golf one fits, same part number on the back.

I have a golf and S3 and have swapped the mirrors in the past when I broke one.

Also had a B5 1998 A4 and that also had same shape mirror glass, but strangely the spade connectors on the back for heating were bigger.