Are B6 Steering Modules And Slip Rings The Same As D3 A8's?

Super Ron

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at upgrading my B6 to have cruise control and tiptronic steering wheel buttons. To do this i need a new steering wheel module and a new slip ring.

I have been looking into it looking into it and looks like the D3 A8/S8's use the same parts but the part numbers start 4E0 as appose to 8E0 like we have. looking further the B7's use the 4E0 part numbers too?

well it looks like the slip rings are the same, for A6 05-11, A4 00-08, A8 03-10.
and it looks like theyre all over the place porsche cayenne turbo, vw tourareg, audi Q7.

still not sure on the modules though :/

There are 3 types of steering column control modules, only 2 of them support cruise control.

Lowline Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke)
Supported Features: Trip Computer (does NOT support Cruise Control!)
Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-F 8E0-953-549-S

Midline Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke), Sport Steering Wheel (3-Spoke), Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Supported Features: Trip Computer, Cruise Control
Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-L, 8E0-953-549-N

Highline Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke), Sport Steering Wheel (3-Spoke), Multi-Function Steering Wheel
Supported Features: Trip Computer, Cruise Control, Steering Wheel Heating
Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-M, 8E0-953-549-P, 8E0-953-549-Q, 8E0-953-549-R

Does that help?

sorry thats not what the thread is about, i know what models are needed from the b6..... BUT the d3 a8's and c6 a6's also use this setup and use what looks like the same modules and almost the same part number, just starting with 4e0 instead of 8e0. but the 4e0s seem alot cheaper even from cars equipt with cruise and mfsw.
i wanted to know if anyone had tried one and if the electronic internals were the same.

anyway, I've got one on the way so i will see if it codes cruise to my b6 :)

Ron - i think you may be right - there are many A4 B6 parts that have the 4E0 prefix and some of the parts list have both 8E0 and 4E0 as interchanges.

Have you joined VAGCAT?

Unlikely to work the A8 & A6 both have can-gateway for canbus communication the A4 does not, also the infotainment gateway is on the MMI control head on the A8 & A6 where it's on the instrument cluster on the A4.

anyone finding this thread on a search i can conform it does NOT work lol

picked up a all singing setup from a C6 A6 and they look identical,, the indicators, wipers and cruise ARE identical, but when you plug it in to the B6 you get no communication what so ever. no connection through vagcom, steering module wont register with with any of the other modules on the car, not even the wipers or indicators work.

so it was worth a punt anyway......... :)