1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Audi looking to see if music files are legal or not on an SD card?

Russboy Nov 4, 2018

1. Russboy

Russboy Active Member Supercharged Audi S4

Hi all,

Put a load of new tunes on a 32gb SD card and put that in one of the SD card slots but not all tracks play.

I've got hundreds of CD's, poss over 1000 and over the years where I have tidied up in iTunes I have deleted multiple versions of the same song. Now I've decided to add back in complete albums but of course some of the individual tunes are missing.

As I don't have a CD drive accessible on my PC anymore it was easier to download the whole album and start again.

However Marshall Mathers LP that I ripped from a CD years ago plays fine on there, but Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet doesn't and I know that's one I downloaded, although I do have the CD to hand I just can't rip it!

If they are looking for some sort of authentication is there any way around that, as in software I can install that will fool the system?

Got 42,000 tracks on iTunes, really don't fancy having to trawl through them and reinstall (once I've bought a USB CD drive).

Cheers,

Russ

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Active Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

It wont play tracks that have encryption in them which is most music you download from iTunes. However in iTunes you used to be able to create MP3 versions. Not sure if that's still possible. As a guide, if a tracks an MP3 you're fine. If it's an AAC then it wont play as its copyprotected.

Tashfeen likes this.
  4. Russboy

Thanks, just reading that you can actually convert within itunes itself but it only gives me the option to convert to 'Create AAC Version'.

Did that on the Slippery when Wet album and it creates a duplicate (Grrr!) but it does now say 'encoded with iTunes 12.9.0.167' where as before that just didn't have anything populated at all.

5. JonChalk

JonChalk Member Team Daytona Team V6 Audi S5 Sportback

Well, I've got all my files encoded in AAC / .m4a in iTunes and they all play just fine when manually copied to an SD card, regardless of *cough, cough* origin. But that is a B9 S5.
    Is yours a B8/B8.5 S4? Is that system a bit less forgiving on file types?
    My old Mk2 TT only ever played mp3's properly.

...and, no, I seriously doubt Audi bother checking the origin of the file, just the type / encoding.

6. Russboy

B8 S4. Just seeing if I convert using iTunes will it then play it but need to wipe the card to start again as it had 31gb of music on there, taking too long to test for now.

7. JonChalk

JonChalk Member Team Daytona Team V6 Audi S5 Sportback

Thinking back, I used a free bit of conversion software to write straight to the card to avoid creating loads of duplicates within iTunes.

8. Russboy

Yep, the converted file/album worked, guessing the Audi software is looking for something to say it is encoded before it will play it. Just gotta find out how many I need to convert now!!