Are all 3.2L created equally?

Eric Strautman

Reaction score
I'm in deep doo-doo!

The 3.2L engine in my 2008 Audi A4 Quattro Cabriolet S-line went kaput.

An independent shop sourced an A6 3.2L but could not get it to run right.
They sourced a second one. It didn't work any better.
The problem that both seemed to have hinges on the Cam Position Sensor not being able to see the teeth on the flexplate.

So, the current theory is that maybe because the Cabriolet chassis is a bit shorter, things aren't lining up quite right. And, it being a Quattro, maybe there is another consideration.

Thus, MUST I replace the engine with one from a 2007-2008 A4 Cabriolet Quattro?

Is there anyone on the forum who'd definitely know the answer?

Thank you for any input you can provide.

UPDATE: One Audi dealer's parts man tells me that any BKH 3.2 will work. However, another Audi dealer in town has a service manager that says that I need a 3.2 from an A4 Quattro Cabriolet 2007-2009. Who should I believe?

All I know is that the two BKH motors from two A6s haven't worked out. Code says missing flexplate teeth. It just seems to always default to limp mode.

OR, is there perhaps another reason for this? Maybe the ECM has to be recoded to the new engine? It's all been very frustrating. It's coming up on a year of chasing our tail on this.

I really don't think it'll have anything to do with chassis differences or quattro.

Is it only the engine you've changed? Not ECU, gearbox etc?

Guessing you mean crank sensor and not cam sensor as crank reads from the flexplate, have they tried a replacement sensor?

What gearbox is your car, manual or auto and do you know what boxes were originally on the replacement engines?

It's an automatic.
No, I don't know what boxes the other cars had. Will the VINs tell me?

The CPS and ECM both tested good.

An Audi/Porsche specialty shop says that the combination of engine, spacers, flex plate and trans has to be just right (tight tolerances) for the CPS to "see" the teeth.

Could the flex plate just be installed wrong? I read some posts saying that the flex plate is not well marked and could be installed in multiple configurations, but that only ONE will work.

It's an automatic.
No, I don't know what boxes the other cars had. Will the VINs tell me?

The CPS and ECM both tested good.

An Audi/Porsche specialty shop says that the combination of engine, spacers, flex plate and trans has to be just right (tight tolerances) for the CPS to "see" the teeth.

Could the flex plate just be installed wrong? I read some posts saying that the flex plate is not well marked and could be installed in multiple configurations, but that only ONE will work.

I’m not really familiar with the 3.2 but think you could be on the right track. I’ve recently converted a 4.2 auto to manual and it had thin spacers between the flexplate and crank although i’d expect a garage to get that right. Another thing to check would be the sensor itself, depending on if it’s manual or auto it can have a collar to space it appropriately from the flexplate/flywheel. You’d probably have to check drawings on ETKA to confirm, or suppose you could remove the sensor and measure the clearance, think it’s usually around 1mm you’re looking for.