Arb to coilovers not wishbones ?

Mrharris2

Boost needed
Reaction score
Hi sorry for the dumb post as I know it is but I'm over thinking things and got myself confused I'm switching my a3 8l for s3 cast wishbones and lcr hubs I'm wondering if anyone has a picture for me where to put the droplinks as the s3 has no tab for the original a3 drop link position I have the tabs on my coilovers but I'm just confused now, or can I drill and tap the cast with the right size tap and dye I know it's hard and brittle but is it doable to use my existing links ? Any help would be great I know this is simple but hey so am I haha cheers Ben,

I believe you also need a s3 roll bar and links to go to the coil overs I'm sure somebody else will confirm

I'll have another look later then and purchase some links from bmf if not im gonna get my brother to drill and tap a hole hopefully his engineering skills works well else he's paying

The brackets on coilovers tend to be set lower than normal dampers... these generally require shorter links (typically supplied by the coilover manufacturer) as standard links can cause the ARB to hit the suspension arm

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Mrharris2
I'll have another look later then and purchase some links from bmf if not im gonna get my brother to drill and tap a hole hopefully his engineering skills works well else he's paying

Drilling and tapping the arm is far to risky mate

Reactions: Alex C and Mrharris2

Drilling and tapping the arm is far to risky mate

What he said... early cast arms had a bit of a boss that was never used, later ones don't... drilling and tapping will compromise strength IMO especially when there are more suitable solutions out there...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Alex C and A3-Lee
I was going to answer this, but it appears it's been answered already :laugh:

As above though, don't attach to the wishbone. Strut mounted is far better.

S3 drop links are cheap too.

Thanks for the help gentlemen I have a feeling the cheap Coilovers I think jom that came with the car havnt got the tab on knowing my luck so was thinking instead of spending 450 pound on new half decent coilovers which I havnt got to hand my other options...

Is it any of those tabs, can u gentlemen tell me my coilovers look past their due date so I have to save and buy a new set. Then the wife can't moan

Didn't think so no worries just have to wait a tad longer and purchase new coilovers, or heat them up and weld a tab on to the wishbones cheaper but not the best idea lol thanks tufty

those little tabs are for holding the brake lines

you don't want to directly weld to a dampener body - you'd have to make a collar - lots of work - get new suspension imho

New suspension.

Jom are crap anyway :laugh:

lovely hubs and wishbones and crap suspension makes no sense.

Treat yourself, it's Easter :laugh:

Reactions: Alex C
Haha yeah that is the plan I was getting new suspension in the long run but wanted o do wishbone hubs tracking then clutch remap then suspension but in Gona have to do suspension then clutch and remap daaamn I want more speed, although I fid get 147mph the other day wih my stage 2 mods but not mapped thinking speedo must be out but I was going faaaaast