Arb advise needed.

GarethS4

Reaction score
Guys could I get some advise on uprated arb,s.i feel my avant s4 would be in need of one or maybe two.could someone give any advise on these plz.if you fit just a rear does it help with it pushing the nose a bit and if I fit a front does it help in other ways or what does fitting them both do.i see a front eibach online for £89.would it be better to buy this and get a rear separate as I see the kit is like £350 approx.
Maybe yous could explain what each bar does .thankyou .

The bar links either side together. The more taught the roll bar is, the more the two sides are linked, so when you are cornering, as the outside wheel is being pressed down, so the inside on is too. A stiffer rear bar means less understeer. I have 034 rear (they don't do front), sports diff and CR15 front strut. It is significantly better than stock and can't believe that Audi don't do this as standard. I used to have quite a bit of understeer, but it is virtually non existent now. I haven't tried front, but by all accounts it is not needed (less stiff at the front is OK - it's the rear that helps with understeer on the S4/5).

Reactions: GarethS4
Stiffer rear will reduce understeer and make it more tail happy, stiffer front does the opposite

Reactions: AudiLeon and GarethS4
Ok thanks guys,I read that somewhere about the rear only helping understeer but I thought it was wrong and they meant the front bar to reduce understeer.just find it strange that the rear does the front and vice versa .

As the people have said increase the anti roll bar stiffness at the front or rear and that will reduce the grip at that end of the car. So a bigger front bar results in more under steer, a bigger rear bar more over steer. I bought a H & R kit for my B8 with uprated front and rear bars. It reduced the roll of the car but kept the same balance front to rear. I tried switching back to the standard front bar after a while and found this much better.
Karls 3.0 TDI build thread
So an uprated rear bar is the way to go, Don't bother with a bigger front bar.
A cheap mod that produces a noticeable improvement with little money spent is a front chassis strut made from a 1m 25mm aluminium box tube.

A cheap mod that produces a noticeable improvement with little money spent is a front chassis strut made from a 1m 25mm aluminium box tube.
Yup, that's the CR15 I have. The rear bar was the bigger change IMHO, but for price, that was well worth doing. BTW, you will get charged an arm and a leg for postage/import (I think I ended up paying $49 postage plus another £28 import) but it fits and works. It's just the Audi tax, but in reverse coming from the US.

Possibly getting an h+R kit today with both front and rear bars in it .So your saying don't use a front bar .

I have recently fitted the H&R front and rear roll bars and it made a big difference. I put the fron roll bar on the soft setting thus helping to maintain the differnce between the front and rear bars whilst still decreasing the body roll. Most uprated front roll bars are adjustable with several settings.

Stock front & rear = Bodyroll and understeer
Stock front & uprated rear = reduction in body roll and reduced understeer
Uprated Front and Uprated Rear = Very little body roll and reduced understeer

Reactions: GarethS4
You can get the 034 rear arb from awesome gti for around £300. Don't think you'd save much by importing it from the States yourself.

The hardrace one is very well priced although can't find anyone who's actually fitted one to an A4 whereas lots of people have the 034 one.

I've also come across the H&R rear bar for sale but only in America. The part number doesn't lead to anyone selling it in the UK or Europe.

The Hardrace bar is hollow unlike the 034 bar which is solid. So its not just about the bar thickness as a thinner solid bar will be just as stiff as a thicker hollow bar.
If you are considering the 034 rear bar @ £300 I would also consider paying a little more and getting a front & rear kit from the likes of H&R or Eibach etc and trying the front bar as its is easy to swap over.

I should add that I we t with eibach.I only fitted the rear and it gave me exactly what I wanted . I also have e a strut brace up front

I didn't do a lot of research when I went with the 034, but stiffness of the ARB is proportional to both the thickness of the material and the type of steel in use (as they have different strengths). As far as I could determine, the 034 is well regarded. If you're down to a couple of choices, some googling will help you out - probably!