APR Stage 2 and launch control

porkopops

Reaction score
Hey,

Can anyone advise if launch control method changes with an APR Stage 2 tune?

I have the car in Dynamic, Sport and Traction off, but depressing the brake and then the accelerator doesn't initiate launch control.. the car just tries to surge forward but doesnt because of the braking, or am I missing something?

I havent been able to re-test due to weather and im thinking that I may need to speak to the tuner.

try again, ensure stop/start and hill hold selected off but mainly steering wheel (and wheels) are straight forward.

Thanks. Yeah will do. IIRC stop/start and hill hold assist are automatically disabled when I select Sport.

When standard, my 2017 disabled stop/start when in sport mode. If I was driving in D, I used to put the car in Sport because i got fed up of the engine stopping while i was waiting for a gap in the traffic, so i could pull out quickly. I must admit that I assumed the same for hill hold as i havent seen any way to manually disable it.

I think you still need to set the stop/start button to off, if you don't have the hill hold button, don't worry about it.

My only thought is there's a chance you might have hit the launch control limit? I think it's limited to something like 200 - if you've not done loads of launch control starts, then ignore all the above lol.

Thanks. I've only done about 6 over the last year, but I bought it used, so I dont know about the previous owner. Let's hope this isnt the case :)

Reactions: Walternate
If you have access to vcds:

INFO:
Launch Counter
Module 2
Advanced Measuring Values
> select Anzahl Launch Control Anfahrt

My only thought is there's a chance you might have hit the launch control limit? I think it's limited to something like 200 - if you've not done loads of launch control starts, then ignore all the above lol.
There is no limit:

IMG 1803

Reactions: Compkiler and 8YARWY
But can it be reset?
The counter? No

edit: well not via standard tools anyway. Might be someone out there who can extract and edit an eeprom or something but it would prolly involve removing the mech unit and reading the chip direct JTag style.

Is that "There's no limit on the standard TCU" or "There's no limit on this because it's a stage 2car and the TCU would have been remapped"?

Always thought there was a limit but happy to be corrected.
That was from a 1000000000% stock car. Car in question was on PCP and about to be returned. Customer is a friend of mine and wanted the car checked over before taking it back.

Is that "There's no limit on the standard TCU" or "There's no limit on this because it's a stage 2car and the TCU would have been remapped"?

Always thought there was a limit but happy to be corrected.

Old wives tale.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but it is regarding tuning.

I’m off to MRC in the morning, how much fuel is advised to be in the tank when on the rollers please?

I suppose if you make it a full tank then all avenues are covered

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but it is regarding tuning.

I’m off to MRC in the morning, how much fuel is advised to be in the tank when on the rollers please?
You do ask some crackers!

They ask for a minimum of half a tank.

Reactions: Drewsus, savo and 8YARWY
Why have we also seen posts of a 200 limit though too?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Older wives tale TX.

Where are all the owners that launched the 1st 8V’s into oblivion ? Surely by now they’d be cropping up on forums asking why their cars won’t launch

Older wives tale TX.

Where are all the owners that launched the 1st 8V’s into oblivion ? Surely by now they’d be cropping up on forums asking why their cars won’t launch

Interesting that it counts the launches though, I wonder why?!

TX.

Just got back from MRC. The car feels absolutely fantastic on the road, massive difference. Little did I know that my car was actually already tuned (albeit, a ****** one) it made 392ps and 515NM.

Once Doug had worked his magic, the car made 435ps and 630NM. This is with secondary decats, BMC panel filter and HG intake pipe.

Reactions: jimojameso
Just got back from MRC. The car feels absolutely fantastic on the road, massive difference. Little did I know that my car was actually already tuned (albeit, a ****** one) it made 392ps and 515NM.

Once Doug had worked his magic, the car made 435ps and 630NM. This is with secondary decats, BMC panel filter and HG intake pipe.
That’s pretty well identical to what mine made. I think it was 430ps and 630nm.

Must have been a terrible tune on it as 390ps is about what the PFLs run as stock.

Reactions: Naylor92
That’s pretty well identical to what mine made. I think it was 430ps and 630nm.

Must have been a terrible tune on it as 390ps is about what the PFLs run as stock.
Yeah I remember you saying and I did think it straight away when I saw the figures haha. Not all about figures I know (but it is), it’s about how it drives and it really is savage. The torque is mental, Properly snaps you back in your seat now.

Doug did say it was extremely poor and there was a massive spike half way through the Rev range. He said it may have been a Revo map haha but who knows. He said they can also make that stock, as you say. But, it was definitely mapped as it had been flashed on the ecu counter.

Yeah I remember you saying and I did think it straight away when I saw the figures haha. Not all about figures I know (but it is), it’s about how it drives and it really is savage. The torque is mental, Properly snaps you back in your seat now.

Doug did say it was extremely poor and there was a massive spike half way through the Rev range. He said it may have been a Revo map haha but who knows. He said they can also make that stock, as you say. But, it was definitely mapped as it had been flashed on the ecu counter.
Might have been mapped then flashed back before sale?

TX.

Reactions: Naylor92
Wow. Lots of interesting convo's while ive been gone

Today I managed a LC but not the first time. I turned off stop-start and disabled traction control, pit it in Sport, Dynamic. Stuck my foot on the break amd the accelerator, but nothing. It just tried to surge forward.

I drove up the road a bit and tried again. I thought that maybe i hadnt put my foot hard enough on the brake, so i pushed real hard and hit the accelerator and LC engaged... excellent!

...and what a rush too. All 4 wheels span despite a reasonably warm road. It was mental. Think i need to remove stock tyres. Lol.

Thanks for your advice.

Edit: I dont think removing them would help. Lol!
Ill try replacing them instead.

Reactions: jimojameso
Wow. Lots of interesting convo's while ive been gone

Today I managed a LC but not the first time. I turned off stop-start and disabled traction control, pit it in Sport, Dynamic. Stuck my foot on the break amd the accelerator, but nothing. It just tried to surge forward.

I drove up the road a bit and tried again. I thought that maybe i hadnt put my foot hard enough on the brake, so i pushed real hard and hit the accelerator and LC engaged... excellent!

...and what a rush too. All 4 wheels span despite a reasonably warm road. It was mental. Think i need to remove stock tyres. Lol.

Thanks for your advice.

Edit: I dont think removing them would help. Lol!
Ill try replacing them instead.

I was just going to write this because that is the most common mistake when the car won't launch. But glad you got to do a launch because it really shows how fast the car is able to get off the line without much hesitation :racer:

Reactions: RS03???
Now that you've worked out LC you can start saving for a new transfer box. :)

Reactions: Terminator x
Now that you've worked out LC you can start saving for a new transfer box. :)

Is it really that big of a problem when "only" doing a stage 2 tune? That said I would never launch a car every day because honestly is it that important to get from 0-60 in 3.5s instead of around 4s :whistle2:

Is it really that big of a problem when "only" doing a stage 2 tune? That said I would never launch a car every day because honestly is it that important to get from 0-60 in 3.5s instead of around 4s :whistle2:
Yes!

Joking aside, LC is a bit of a gimmick but it’s still great fun to use on occasion.

Yes!

Joking aside, LC is a bit of a gimmick but it’s still great fun to use on occasion.
A must at every set of lights Doc!

TX.

Reactions: RS03???, D0C and Lehn
I’m not sure if it is the same system in the RS3 as it is in the Porsche 718’s, but in those 718’s I did a test track day in them. The professional Porsche driver who took us round literally encouraged us to launch the cars at all opportunities. Must have launched it 10-15 times during the 2 hour session, and they went through 3 sessions a day until they get to about 4000 miles.

Apparently they are a ‘wet clutch’ system and launching has no negative effect on them. They’re literally built to launch, and as he said - why would they put it on the car if it had a detrimental effect? I wonder if this RS3 has a wet clutch system, no idea.