APR Stage 1 + TVS Stage 2+

dinin

Reaction score
Hi,

does anyone know how APR Stage 1 + TVS Engineering Stage 2+ TCU software mix? I'm told, that they should be a good match.

Tried to search the forum but didn't find anything definitive. I've learned that TVS Engineering is the best TCU software maker and APR should be one of the best for the engine ECU.

Trying to make my mind up, if I should go with the combo or not with a 2018 model RS3 now. Still have warranty on until the end of 2021, but... :)

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: A3SBQ
A friend of mine have this combo on his TTRS 2018.
It works perfectly. This was done before APR had the TCU tune.
Car works and goes great and is track used with no problems.

I have tested the APR TCU and TVS TCU on my 7R.
TVS gives you good and smooth gear changes +++
APR is God but have sometimes hard and od shifts! But when that is said. The APR was better in the driving experience in normal D, S and on track. I felt that the TVS setup on the R was a bit lazy.
But TVS is 100% customable. That meens you can setup your own shifting points... If you are able to do the work!

But on the TTRS it was perfect...

Sent fra min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

Last edited:
A friend of mine have this combo on his TTRS 2018.
It works perfectly. This was done before APR had the TCU tune.
Car works and goes great and is track used with no problems.

I have tested the APR TCU and TVS TCU on my 7R.
TVS gives you good and smooth gear changes +++
APR is God but have sometimes hard and od shifts! But when that is said. The APR was better in the driving experience in normal D, S and on track. I felt that the TVS setup on the R was a bit lazy.
But TVS is 100% customable. That meens you can setup your own shifting points... If you are able to do the work!

But on the TTRS it was perfect...

What's the method of customisation? Is it a "one off" customisation or can you adjust it? How? With a box or something?

Personally in Dynamic/S for UK driving, the shift points are all wrong. I don't wanna hover just below the 3rd gear change point at 30mph

TVS has a diagram that you fill in your wanted shift points...
Then TVS makes your TCU tune...

If you want customisation with specific elements of the TCU tune then I think TVS is the only option out there. I had some conversations with them and if you were prepared to take a ferry over for the day they'd calibrate it with you. At the time they even offered me 20% off which woulda covered the ferry fare...

As it happens I went with Unitronic which in my opinion is the best 'Off the Shelf' option for both ECU and TCU from the same supplier, but I don't think you will go wrong with your preference. I wanted the ability to swap the tunes around with my laptop at home and same-supplier. The TCU map was a major improvement for me, the box has more consistent behaviour, more direct and less slip etc. From those I've spoken to that have maps from both, the plus for TVS is customisation, and Uni 'just works'. I've known people switch from one to the other (both ways!) depending on what specifically they are expecting.

If they have done a few already then TVS should have something dialled in for the APR tunes, but they'll probably recommend APR flash first then take it to TVS.

Reactions: 8YARWY
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'll need to see if I can find a Unitronic retailer at Finland or not and look into that as well. It's all APR and TVS here it seems :)...

Let us know how you get on..
I am considering Revo & TVS only as the Revo dealer is closer but the other option is APR for both and then the DSG tune is discounted.
Would you not consider APR for the DSG and the Map? I am new to this so I am doing plenty of lock down research.

Last edited:
Have not really progressed with this. I still have warranty for the engine and transmission until the end of 2021, so I'm wondering if I should tune the machine or not.. But they told me that TVS has better transmission software, as they've done it a lot longer than APR. So they keep telling me everywhere that I should go with APR engine tune and TVS transimission tune...

Three word.... TVS! Do it
It’s how the DSG should have been from the start!

Ok, did you need to specify the changing RPM's when you went to tune it? TVS Stage 2+ I believe is the one that I should go for. I'm wondering about the RPM's... What are they if you don't specify anything, do you have any data?

Ok, did you need to specify the changing RPM's when you went to tune it? TVS Stage 2+ I believe is the one that I should go for. I'm wondering about the RPM's... What are they if you don't specify anything, do you have any data?
I only had the drivability map but I do have 12 months to upgrade to Stage 2 if I so wish!